Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Card Dead?? help

Video Card Dead?? help

Ok I bought a radeon 9700 pro about two months ago and just got the computer built about a week ago. Everything was running good the vid card was working until all the sudden i try to start up my comp and i can only see blobs of color. I can't even see bios or anything. My computer still boots up but i can't see a damn thing!!

Any suggestions on what i should do?

o and by the way i have a asus p4s800 deluxe mobo

and my vid card is powered by ati but i don't think built I'm not sure who built it. it never said it is new tho it doesn't seem like it should go out that soon.

please help

First things i would try is...

1.)Make sure your monitor cable that connects to the back of the video card is not lose or no pins are bent.

2.)If problem persists try taking out your graphics card then reseating it into the AGP slot (assuming it is an AGP card)

3.)Try another monitor if possible.

As a last resort if none of the above help try another graphics card if possible.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Re-boot, sometimes ATI 9700's have a problem as you describe. If it keeps doing that you'll more than likely need a new card. I had one that did that and sent it back to ATI and they sent me a 9800pro

thanks for the help.. I just put it in my bro's comp with a different monitor and same thing, so it is the vid card. Yes it is agp but I wonder if ati will still cover it, if it is not built by ati(it is powered by them, vpu)... I tried getting a phone number for customer service but you have to register the product first.. and i don't know if i will be able to enter a valid product number.

anywho i really hope they can send me a new one I already emailed the seller to see if they can just send me a new one but if ati warranties it i would rather have them replace with a 9800 pro !!

heres the link of the seller http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...208964874&rd=1

it says that manufacture warranties it but i can't get the number. O and by the way my old geforce is in and im back up and running but still need a replacment for my 9700 pro!!!

any help
    Last edited by TireFryingChevy; June 15th, 2005 at 04:11 AM.

After looking at the info on the webpage it appears that it is manufactured by ATI.Sad to say i doubt the seller will replace it unless its within the 45 day period but according to the page it comes with a one year manufacturers warranty.As for the RMA number i think that would only apply if you are still within the 45 day seller warranty.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; June 15th, 2005 at 04:36 AM.

Titanium Member
    sorry about your trouble. Damn I'm lucky. I dropped a screwdriver on my radeon 9500 pro (bios flashed and soft modded to 9700)and yes, it was on and it sparked. Immediately there were horizontal lines across my screen from top to bottom. I rebooted and it's as if it never happened. (you probably didn't want to hear that - sorry)

Sometimes (before the accident and after) the screen's color is inverted. I have to switch off the monitor and back on to return to normal.
    Last edited by lynchknot; June 15th, 2005 at 04:44 AM.

damn that sucks for me I only used it one freakin week and you get to set yours on fire and still work. Well I guesse I'll call ati tomorrow if I can find the number but I have a feeling that they won't warranty. It says 1 year manufacturer warranty on the site so they have to I gueese. If not then it false advertisment and i'll get ebay invovled and make the seller send me a new one.

wish me luck tomorrow

Titanium Member
    There's another way* Depends how you feel about it. I would probably be too chicken but if Best Buy or any large electronic store still sells them, you could swap them. (Buy a new one then return yours) All they do is send them back. I don't think they lose a cent. I almost did it with a Canon scanner from K-mart. It happened that that scanner was broken as well. Heck, I use to "borrow" digital cameras from these chain stores (target) as there's a 90 day return policy.

*Not the greatest Karma but you didn't deserve this.
    Last edited by lynchknot; June 15th, 2005 at 05:10 AM.

hmm yea that may work.. but at bestbuy.com they don't have it so I don't think that my local best buy stock it. They are pretty stupid about the returns there I returned this 80 dollar datapilot software after I installed it with the serial and everything and said it didn't work. I still have it installed actually. I had to tell them that it was defective and stuff because they normally don't take back software....

Titanium Member
    I would call the store. The dotcom doesn't always reflect store inventory.
    There's Circuit City, Fry's, etc (not sure where you live but perhaps more options) or maybe some of the department stores electronics dept. They often stock out of current electronics. Just remember to use the new box, wrappers, etc!
    Last edited by lynchknot; June 15th, 2005 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    There's another way* Depends how you feel about it. I would probably be too chicken but if Best Buy or any large electronic store still sells them, you could swap them. (Buy a new one then return yours) All they do is send them back. I don't think they lose a cent. I almost did it with a Canon scanner from K-mart. It happened that that scanner was broken as well. Heck, I use to "borrow" digital cameras from these chain stores (target) as there's a 90 day return policy.

*Not the greatest Karma but you didn't deserve this.
    Never thought of this idea before but i will remember it.Just one question.Doesnt the Video card usually have a serial number on it that matches the one on the packaging it came in?If so that could put a cramp in that plan.

tru I doubt the serial number that came with my card will match that of one from best buy. Plus mine came in some wierd box not even a normal ati box. I guese I will have to just call ati tomorrow.
    Last edited by TireFryingChevy; June 15th, 2005 at 05:49 AM.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    I think there may be a message here about buying from ebay....."CAUTION"

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TireFryingChevy
    tru I doubt the serial number that came with my card will match that of one from best buy. Plus mine came in some wierd box not even a normal ati box. I guese I will have to just call ati tomorrow.
    do they even check? I know the countless cameras I returned - they only checked if everything was there.

That's why I said to remember to use the new box and packaging.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I sent my 9700 pro back to the vendor about 4 weeks ago.Just sent a follow up e-mail concerning it's replacement's whereabouts,and still 2 days and no reply.I'm a little miffed to say the least.Maybe I'll get lucky and get a 9800 pro like FG did.Hope you get your's sorted out TFC.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.