Thread: Failed Office XP Install, error 1706, How do I fix?

Failed Office XP Install, error 1706, How do I fix?

Hello-

I am running WinXP Home, SP2; I recently installed MS Language Pack. No significant issue. However, after I completed, whenever I go to use an Office XP Program, the specific program atttempts to install Office XP Pro" and prompts me with: "The Feature you are trying to Use is On a CD Rom That is not available...."
    and when I click CANCEL, it responds with: Error 1706: Setup cannot find the requested file. Check your connection to the network or the CD-ROM drive.....".

Apparently during the language pack install, I hit a wrong key and installed a software fragment so the system is trying to install Office XP Pro, whenever I open a MS Office Program. It is interesting that I don't own Office XP Pro so I am unsure how the program could've originated. Any idea how I can correct this?

I searched for error code 1706 in the MS KNowledgebase, and I cam up with:
    article ID: 297834, but it didn't seem to help much. Link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;297834

Thx.

Scott
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    what office xp program are u trying to use when it happens? u state when u try to use an office program this message comes up. Assuming u have some version of office just re-install it and the message will stop. I had to do the same thing awhile back.

Office XP Install-Error 1706, How do I fix?

Piper-

The problem happens when I attempt to run any Office 2002 Program: Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, etc. Reinstalling might fix the problem, but I'd like to avoid that. At this point, it seems a little extreme as I keep thinking there must be "something I can simply disable?"

thx.

Scott
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I believe that you should have the option to "repair" under the Help dropdown. You might try that instead of the full reinstall of the apps.

I was able to resolve the problem simply. Basically, I put the office XP Pro disk in the drive and pressed "cancel" and this resolved the problem. I didn't need to reinstall or take any other actions. Apparently the system just need to see the "cancel" with the CD in. Also, my earlier report that I didn't own Office XP Pro was wrong; I did, though at the time I didn't realize my version was Office XP Pro. Also, I would've figured this out sooner, but originally I had put the wrong disk in. Thus, I made a relatively simple thing more complicated than it should've been.

Thx.

Scott

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    glad the fix was simple for you man....