Thread: Can one set the default for images to Open instead of Preview?

Question Can one set the default for images to Open instead of Preview?

When you click on an image such as a .JPG, it opens using the fax and image viewer, same thing as if you right-clicked on the picture and selected PREVIEW. In order to open my images with my image editing software, I always have to right-click on the file and choose Open. (Choosing Edit doesn't work, that always opens it with the Microsoft Paint program.) Neither Preview or Edit is shown as an option configurable in the registry for JPG files or in the File Types under Folder Options.

Can this behavior be customized in Windows XP?

I would really rather just click on an image and have it open directly in my image editor, as I am accustomed to in Windows 2000. At first, the auto preview was cute, but now I tire of it. I wouldn't mind preserving the ability to preview using the context menus, but I don't want this to be the default action.

Also, when previewing, the button that is supposed to close the preview and open image always launches Paint, i.e., it starts the Edit action, instead of the Open action.

Dumb stuff, but hey, if it bugs me, it must be something that would make someone else's life easier too, if there was a workaround from some of you clever folks.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    ceebee welcome to Techzonez.
    Have you tried opening your image editing program and set the preferences or options to always open certain files.
    Another way to do it is open windows explorer and under tools > folder options,click on the File Types tab and select your file associations from the drop down menu.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

hi there ceebee and welcome.

have you tried,

right click over image you want to open,

goto "open with",

click "choose program"

then pick the prog to open with,

then check the box "always use the selected program to open this kind of file"

hope you have this option.

ill be back soon,
    just watching some paint dry.

On my computer, Paint Shop Pro is the program associated with JPG and GIF files (and most other images). It only loads images if you right-click the graphic and choose Open. There are other choices available under the Open With menu, of course.

Preview is still the default action for graphics files. This is the case for all Windows XP computers. Try it yourself.

The challenge is to see whether anyone has figured out a way to defeat the default behavior, that when you double-click on an image (or single-click if that's your preference for opening items), it always opens in Preview mode, even if the graphic is associated with an image-editing program.

Server God Administrator Richard's Avatar
    This should do the trick.

NOTE - registry edit so please backup if not sure what your doing

This will get rid of the preview option thus leaving OPEN as the default action

1. Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).

2. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ SystemFileAssociations\
    image\ ShellEx\ ContextMenuHandlers.

3. Delete the ShellImagePreview key.

4. Close the Registry Editor when you're done; the change will take effect immediately.

Thanks

Richard

Welcome ceebee. Enjoy your stay and post often, we like a good challenge as well as learning something new....

I as well use PSP 7, just use the Browse function from the file drop down menu in PSP and it will do what you want I do believe.

Thanks, all.

Killing the Preview action, as Richard suggests, sounds promising, although I would like to keep it as an option, just not have it as the default action.

However, it turns out that harrytb's suggestion works after all, even though I assumed it wouldn't be needed since PaintShop Pro is already the default program for opening GIFS and JPEGs, etc.

Apparently that doesn't matter, since Preview is the "always open with" action by default in Windows XP, despite the file associations grabbed by PSP. (This would be the case no matter what your image editor, such as PhotoShop.)

So just follow Harry's suggestion. Right click on a GIF or JPG, choose Open With, click Choose Program, choose your image editor from the list (you shouldn't need to browse to the program file if it's already associated with the image type), and then click "always use the selected program to open this kind of file".

Now Preview is no longer the default action, it's no longer in boldface on the right-click context menu, but it is available should you want to right-click on an image and get a preview of an image without opening it with your image editor.

The other image editors are also still available with the Open With menu choice, too, if you right-click on the image.

Again, thanks to this group for helping me solve a vexing issue, and I look forward to further participation.

Boy harry you can be such a show off..

I tried that and it works great, show off..........

Now mine works with just a click on an image and boom there is PSP 7, show off..........