Thread: Clone SATA Raid Drive to USB

Clone SATA Raid Drive to USB

I have dual 160 GB Raid 1 (Mirror) drives that are full. No Operating System on them. I want to replace them with 250 GB SATA drives. I have a 250GB USB External HD. I want to copy the 160 info to the USB drive, replace the 160's with the 250's and then transfer the stuff from the USB onto the new SATA 250's. Easier said than done. Here are my dilemmas:

1. The way my PC is set up, I have a 20GB System (C) drive with the OS on it and some of the Apps. However, most of my Apps are installed on the 160's in case of a crash on the OS drive. In addition to the Apps on the 160's there is about 120Gb of Karaoke files. Now it's easy enough to copy the music files to the USB drive but what about the apps? Can I just drop and drag them? I already did this without thinking about the "installation" issues and the apps all still seemed to work from the USB drive. I worried about that though and wiped the USB clean to start over.

2. I have tried several "clone" type programs, you know, the ones that are supposed to "clone" your hard drive...none of them worked. Norton Partition Magic, Acronis True Image and another that I can't remember. For some reason they don't like the SATA 160 drives and won't clone them.

Any ideas on how to do this???
    Last edited by workjohnout; June 22nd, 2005 at 09:14 AM.
    P4 3.0 Prescott*Asus P4800E*1GB Corsair Dual Channel*20GB IDE System Drive*Twin SATA 160GB Raid 1 Data HDs*200GB IDE Video HD*Nvidia GForce 5500 Dual Monitors*Wintv PVR250*NEC DVD+R R/W*Plextor CDR/W

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    It's always gonna be best to reinstall the apps from disk. After that you can always import the data over from the other drive.

You said a mouthful. After tieing up my computer for an entire day trying to move the apps with System Mechanic, many of them didn't work anymore. I'm going to have to reinstall the whole lot of them (about 30 apps...). The problem I'm going to have now is that I'm still going to have them on the USB drive, some of them screwed up. Even if I wipe it out after the move, there are going to be tons of registry entries left over. What a mess. I wish I just could have cloned the SATA drive in the first place.
    P4 3.0 Prescott*Asus P4800E*1GB Corsair Dual Channel*20GB IDE System Drive*Twin SATA 160GB Raid 1 Data HDs*200GB IDE Video HD*Nvidia GForce 5500 Dual Monitors*Wintv PVR250*NEC DVD+R R/W*Plextor CDR/W

Use True Image to clone your entire setup with a few clicks.

The new version, 8.0, supports raid

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...omparison.html

Here is a link to a free trial version.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/

Much easier then rebuilding.