Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get Lexmark ink cartridges cheap?

Where can I get Lexmark ink cartridges cheap?

I have a Lexmark printer.
    Thanks

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Cheap? Nowhere.

Sorry. But if your printer has 2 cartridges, You can pretty much buy a new printer for the price of both cartridges...

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Cheap? Nowhere.

Sorry. But if your printer has 2 cartridges, You can pretty much buy a new printer for the price of both cartridges...
    The cartridges don't run out at the same time. Thanks for replying.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Well rik hit the nail on the head ...no such thing as cheap Lexmark ink. Lexmark just about gives the printers away so they can make money on the ink.

Use the generic refill kits, I use them on my Cannon and it works great and low cost

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Don't forget that Lexmark is using the ID chips in their ink cartridges. Generic cartridges won't work and from what I understand, tampering with the cartridge even just to refill it will cause it to not work at all. I just went thru the same issues and chose to salvage what was good from the ink that wasn't empty and put it into my new printer.

* I stand corrected *

Last edited by rik; June 24th, 2005 at 14:16 PM.

I refill Lexmark X73 cartridges. It works but it can be messy. The expense of buying cartridges made me quit printing color.

My next printer - I am going back to laser.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    I refill Lexmark X73 cartridges. It works but it can be messy. The expense of buying cartridges made me quit printing color.

My next printer - I am going back to laser.
    Doesn't laser use ink?

Do you need a power drill to refill cartridges?

Thank you all for replying.

Most refil kits come with good instructions and several small tools to accomplish the task. Laser printers use a graphite power and a heat process to print documents. Home laser printers are black and white printing only. Some are available for under $150. Cost per copy is about 1/4 cent while inkjet is several times that.
    Last edited by efc; June 24th, 2005 at 18:54 PM.

Most refil kits come with good instructions and several small tools to accomplish the task. Laser printers use a graphite power and a heat process to print documents. [1]

Home laser printers are black and white printing only. [2]

Some are available for under $150. Cost per copy is about 1/4 cent while inkjet is several times that.
    [1] I know someone who has a laser pinter. She spent $70 for a black ink cartridge.

[2] they now have color laser printers.

I spent about $75 on ink cartridges & paper for greeting cards.

Thanks for the replies.

Color laser is probably not an option for home printing. I don't need color more than a couple times every six months. Black and white laser is suitable for home use. I used an Okidata laser for nearly five years. It was fast and economical to use. Here is an article that discusses laser vs inkjet. http://www.cd.gov.ab.ca/building_com..._toolkit/8.pdf Here is an example os an inexpensive laser. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3276&CatId=244

Color laser is probably not an option for home printing. I don't need color more than a couple times every six months. Black and white laser is suitable for home use. I used an Okidata laser for nearly five years. It was fast and economical to use. Here is an article that discusses laser vs inkjet. http://www.cd.gov.ab.ca/building_com..._toolkit/8.pdf Here is an example os an inexpensive laser. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3276&CatId=244
    It says you can email color pages and they will mail them back to you. Where

can I do that? What do I search for? It said OFFICE SERVICE CENTERS.

Thanks for replying.

Bronze Member
    Hm - I have an Epson StylusPhoto inkjet and an ancient Apple Laserwriter 630 (mono).

The sad fact is that I use colours so sparely, that the inkjet is usually dried out when I try to use it and then requires several rounds of cleaning to become acceptable. Cleaning the print head uses incredible amounts of ing, too

Even though the inkjet is faster than the old 8ppm warhorse from Apple (slow processor and postscript...), I usually use the old laser for my printing, since it is never dried out, and the print quality is better (for text, that is).

I'm not going to buy another inkjet. My next colour printer is going to be a wax or laser printer.

Johan-Kr
    System1: iMac 27"
    System2: PowerMac dual 800 (mirrored drive doors), OsX 1.5 Leopard
    System3: EPoX 8KDA3+, 1Gb RAM, 4x1Tb - Raid5, CoolerMaster CM Stacker, FreeNAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenalaar
    Hm - I have an Epson StylusPhoto inkjet and an ancient Apple Laserwriter 630 (mono).

The sad fact is that I use colours so sparely, that the inkjet is usually dried out when I try to use it and then requires several rounds of cleaning to become acceptable. Cleaning the print head uses incredible amounts of ing, too

Even though the inkjet is faster than the old 8ppm warhorse from Apple (slow processor and postscript...), I usually use the old laser for my printing, since it is never dried out, and the print quality is better (for text, that is).

I'm not going to buy another inkjet. My next colour printer is going to be a wax or laser printer.

Johan-Kr
    You said it much better than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenalaar

Johan-Kr
    I saw ink color cartridges for $169 for a color Laser printer. I saw color laser printers for a couple hundred dollars. They seem even more costly.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    The Lesson here is not to buy a Lexmark. If they are going to prevent third party ink makers from offering the general public cheaper ink, then screw that company. Honestly there are better printer makers out there that don't use ID tags in their ink cartridges. I recommend looking on ebay or something like that if you are looking for cheaper lexmark ink carts.

http://search.ebay.com/Lexmark-Ink_W0QQfromZR40QQsojsZ1

Or some place like below:

http://www.discount-inks.com/group.asp?printer=Lexmark
    Last edited by Big Booger; June 26th, 2005 at 03:37 AM.