Thread: VX2 removal by XP reinstall?

VX2 removal by XP reinstall?

I have Win XP and a malicious VX2 trojan called guard.tmp... I have seen guides to removing this but just don't have enough knowledge to feel safe attempting it.

So I am thinking I can just reinstall XP to get rid of it.. is this correct?

But the problem I have is that I have a lot of stuff on my harddrive that isn't backed up.. and I have 2 harddrives.. so I am wondering if I can put everything on the auxiliary harddrive and then reinstall XP on C.

Will this work?

If so, couple questions.. how do I make sure the VX2 isn't transferred to the other drive and then reinstalls itself on the reinstalled XP C drive?

The other thing is.. I have a Hewlett Packard system.. and someone told me that these systems have a system restore disk.. but that I need to make a special boot disk to reinstall XP.. is this true?

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but why not leave "reinstalling" as the last option? This is much more simple:
    Download Ad-Aware SE if you don't have it
    Download the VX2 Cleaner
    Install Ad-Aware, then VX2 Cleaner

Then follow these instructions for removal:
    • Start Ad-Aware
    • Go to “Add-ons”
    • Select the VX2 Cleaner add-on and click “Run Tool”
    • Select “Clean System”
    • Reboot your computer
    • Scan your computer with Ad-Aware
    • Remove any VX2 objects detected
    • Reboot your computer again
    • Run a second scan to make sure the files have been removed from your computer
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by hotmale; June 28th, 2005 at 16:14 PM.

Some variants of VX2 are a real nightmare to remove but there are a lot of tools out there to aid you and it's worth running all of them, of particular note are
    Microsoft Antispyware Beta (free from HERE)
    Spybot Search and Destroy (free from HERE)
    X-Cleaner online scan
    and VX2 Finder (free from HERE).

Between that lot you should be rid of 'A better Internet' VX2 and probably a whole heap of other junk because VX2 helpfully installs other spyware too.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Thanks for the responses kotmale and Curio.

I actually tried that Ad-aware vx2 add on and it wouldn't work.. I guess the VX2 thing is constantly mutating and there are all kinds of different "strains".

I haven't tried the x-cleaner or VX2 finder, Curio. I will give those a shot! Thanks!
    Last edited by Icarus41; June 29th, 2005 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus41
    I actually tried that Ad-aware vx2 add on and it wouldn't work.. I guess the VX2 thing is constantly mutating and there are all kinds of different "strains".
    You're welcome.
    Actually I have never been infected by this VX2, so I don't know how bad it is. Good luck with the other tools Curio suggested.

You can also try this:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Find_It_NT2000XP_d4613.html