Thread: Need for POWERED USB hubs

Need for POWERED USB hubs

I have to get a new 4-post USB hub as mine has quit. My current one has a switch and transformer so I can use it as powered or let it get its power from my computer.

I've always used it with its own power switched off for 1.0 or 1.1 USB peripherals (printer, card reader, camera and scanner.) No problem.

I notice that unpowered ones are less expensive than powered ones. Do I need powered ones...is there any real benefit?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Yes. I recommend a powered one. Never know when you might need it and You can get one for under $20 so why not?

OK, rik!

Took your advice, found a D-Link 2.0 (backward compatible) usb hub, 4-port at ebuyer.com through pricegrabber. $26.00 (cost + shipping) but with a $10 mail-in rebate. So final price $16.00. Not bad, huh? I also came across this on the net. "A user can plug any bus-powered USB device into any port on a self-powered hub and the device will have enough power to function.. A user can plug a bus-powered USB device into a port on a bus-powered hub, but the device might not have enough power to function." There is more detail at http://www.opentechsupport.net/forums/archive/tc. Look dfor the post by Tweaker.