Thread: motherboard help!

motherboard help!

Hi i just recently bought an abit mother board, ok I installed it, and it powered up, but would not enter windows, so i kept messing with the cmos stuff, to see if i could get it to work, so i would mess with cmos hard reset, i did this quite a bit, then the last thing i changed in the bios was to load some profile or somthing and then save and quit, well when i quit it started to beep so i hard reset it and now my comp won't even power up, like i can plug the power cord in and the lights from the motherboard come on, bet when i press the power button nothing comes on no fan nothing, its like its dead just lights from motherboard are on thats it,do you think i fried the motherboard? Please I would appreciate any help. thanx

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Welcome to Techzonez Biz.I would suggest taking out your manual and locating the cmos jumper,ground yourself with a ground strap and follow the instructions in your manual to reset the cmos to default settings.In all cases I have run across,it's just a matter of taking the jumper off 1,2 connectors,putting the jumper on 2,3 connectors and back to 1,2.You will see this in your manual.Hopefully this will do the trick.Also check to make sure all your power connections are correct.If the board has a 12 volt connection find the 12 volt pluggin from the power supply and plug it in.You may have fried your motherboard if you messed with voltages,but usually resetting cmos will recover if they are set wrong with no damage.Good luck and let us know how your making out.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Good call zipp51. That should take care of the problem.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hello

let's seee if I understand this.

You purchased a new motherboard and installed this in your computer. Turned it on and it booted but windows failed to load? you then entered the bios and changed some settings to see if it would get windows working?

What is your os?
    If the operating system is WindowsXP most likely you will always need to do a repair install of XP when changing motherboards.

Now the computer does not powerup?
    This is extremely serious as we do not know if you have unknowingly changed the fsb or overclocked your cpu and computer.

If it is overclocked you should not leave the computer on more than a few seconds. the hotter the cpu gets the higherr chances of damaging your computer permanently frying it.

you will need to reset the bios by locating the jumper on the manual.

if you don't have the manual you can tell us the model number and we can try to locate it for you

good luck
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by egghead
    If the operating system is WindowsXP most likely you will always need to do a repair install of XP when changing motherboards.
    I change out motherboards often. I have never had to run a repair installation as a result. One thing that does happen is that the bios bios on the new MB needs to locate and identify the HD. That can be fixed by highlighting the HD and pushing the enter key.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc
    I change out motherboards often. I have never had to run a repair installation as a result. One thing that does happen is that the bios bios on the new MB needs to locate and identify the HD. That can be fixed by highlighting the HD and pushing the enter key.
    cool

it seems for me that every time I change motherboards or even put the hard drive in another computer i get the blue screen before windows fully loads.

Without a re-install you will have lower performance as some advanced features for a motherboard can only be installed during a windows operating install.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

How are you guys able to use XP after moving a hard drive to a new motherboard (not identical to the original), XP is designed not to boot when it detects a different motherboard?

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebub
    How are you guys able to use XP after moving a hard drive to a new motherboard (not identical to the original), XP is designed not to boot when it detects a different motherboard?

???????

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebub
    If the motherboards are from the same chipsets XP will definitely boot. Now if they are from different chipsets they are more likely to crash.