Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: computer freeze ups

Titanium Member
    sometimes it works. You can surf while repairing. Maybe all you need is one file that's corrupt - which is why I choose it before having to run repair - why go the full gusto version when it may be you can go for the quick fix.
    Last edited by lynchknot; July 12th, 2005 at 03:05 AM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    sometimes it works. You can surf while repairing. Maybe all you need is one file that's corrupt - which is why I choose it before having to run repair - why go the full gusto version when it may be you can go for the quick fix.
    Ok lets take it from there....

When your trying to fix your broken OS the least of worries should be being able to surf the net at the same time

It doesn't matter if only one file needs to be replaced, "sfc /scannow is going to compair all system files with the files on the CD. If they aren't the same as on CD then they're going to be replaced=more than one on SP2 with all updates

[edit]= I'm not saying that people shouldn't do "sfc /scannow ", I'm saying I don't
    Last edited by FastGame; July 12th, 2005 at 03:27 AM.

Silver Member
    rik---will try other greeting cards tomorrow. But I am pretty sure I have sent a few cards after I thought the problem was fixed, and no freezeups.
    lynchknot---only have IE and OE. Also ran that sfc /scannow. It asked me for the xp disc. I put the disc in, and it ran for about 5 minutes, but never gave me a report. I assume that everything was OK ???
    fastgame---it has been a pretty long time since it started to freeze up. About two months or so. Would not know what restore point to use, would only be guessing. Am considering that XP Repair. You said it only fixes problems with the OS. How about any problems with IE or OE ??
    Thanks guys for the suggestions so far.
    PS, since I did that sfc /scannow, must I do all the updates now ?
    Last edited by mike13; July 12th, 2005 at 03:38 AM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    It should be able to fix "any" file problems with the OS...should anyway. Sorry to sound like a heretic but I've seen to much. software problems are the hardest to diagnose, simply because you can install the same SW again and not have the same problems occur.

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Ok lets take it from there....

When your trying to fix your broken OS the least of worries should be being able to surf the net at the same time It not a worry, it's a bonus to be able to replace faulty files and not have to wait.

It doesn't matter if only one file needs to be replaced, "sfc /scannow is going to compair all system files with the files on the CD. If they aren't the same as on CD then they're going to be replaced=more than one on SP2 with all updates - good thing it compares all files. I have xp with sp2

[edit]= I'm not saying that people shouldn't do "sfc /scannow ", I'm saying I don't
    I use up all available possible solutions (after trying the net boards for fix) based on convenience - the last three are repair, image, then format