Thread: Newest Technology

Newest Technology

I'm in the market to purchase a brand new computer here in South Africa.

i looking to spend R20 000 ($ 2941 on current exchange rate) on this system.

I'm not sure if the computer vendors a keeping new product from the market until next year. so maybe you guys know if it's worth to wait for next year in buying a new pc?

Sharp
    Tomorrow is one more day closer to the Holidays

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Why don't you tell us what you have now ? maybe it's much better too upgrade your present system.

That is a lot of money to dedicate to a computer purchase these days. With that size budget you should be able to buy the very best in every component. We may be able to recommend some cheaper solutions. First it would help to know what you want to use it for (gaming, music, video editing, etc.).

Know that buying the latest component carries a high depreciation. Six months after purchase, that same item may cost 50% less than you paid. Sometimes you can save significant money by choosing a second tier model. We can suggest options after hearing from you.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Take a look at my post titled "New Toy"

Scroll down to see the list I decided on.
    I bought all that for AU$ 1500 - ( about $800 U.S. ) - Not including video card.

Prices may obviously vary, but that system is going to very exciting.

It is ready for the new, yet to be released, dual core chips ( 939 pins ) and even has dual PCI-E graphic slots so I can bridge two video cards if I need more rendering power at a later stage.

This system will be used primarily for gamin.g....... er.... I mean graphics, yes, it's a GRAPHICS computer

Things may be different in your home country but I think you have a ton of cash to build a great system.
    And if you do your research, you should be able to upgrade it as things move forward.

If you wait until next year, I can promise you there will be something else around the corner worth waiting for as well.... It's the cycle we are in.

Just one small tip.

"AGP graphics cards don't fit into PCI-E graphic slots."

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Thanks for the different opinions!

Well firstly, i havn't upgraded since 1999 where i bought myself a PIII 450mhz with a 10gib harddrive. It was the cream of the crop back then.

But looking at todays standard, it's about time to upgrade. And after such a long time upgrading I reckon I deserve a top top performance for "Graphics".

So looking in to optimize my $ per performace, i'm really not hasted in buying the system. I'm willing to wait for next, but definately will hook up to NVIDIA 7800 GT SLI cards up with my system [if that option is ever going to be available].

This computer is truely a speed demon. It is less than half the budget you extablished. As you can see, it allows for customization. You can design the computer you want.

OK TZ members. Any other suggestions?

Sorry, forgot the links.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...594&CatId=1489

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?Base=1480594
    Last edited by efc; July 7th, 2005 at 21:37 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    OK TZ members. Any other suggestions?
    Yes I do...how about a link to the computer you're talking about

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Yes I do...how about a link to the computer you're talking about

Links have been added to above post.

Thanks a lot guys! Does anyone know if retailers in america ship PC's like in the link to the Overseas market. Cause at the moment it's much cheaper to buy the Pc over the internet.

But import tariffs or taxes are sure to be levied on the import price, which actually cancels the benefit of buying overseas.

The things is, in South Africa, we are like 4 months behind the most advance technollogy, so when the technollogy eventually comes here, it's so outdated and a better and faster product is available in the states.

Silly old world we live in!!!!

If you look at the bottom of this page LINK, you will see that TigerDirect has special links for Canadian, French, German and UK customers. That suggest to me that they have a sizable customer base from outside the U.S. Give them a call on the 800 number. Get all of your questions answered.

If you are not happy with the answers, I can think of several other reliable companies that might fill your needs.

Keep us posted.

I went to the link and from there the site directed me to the UK branch. I've mailed them regarding shipping components to South Africa, but alas i'm still waiting!!!!

Good luck.