Thread: LCD Monitor recomendation and buyer guide?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

LCD Monitor recomendation and buyer guide?

Well, I am looking for LCD for my mother and for my brother. My mother currently has a 21" CRT that I gave her some time ago, but it is HUGE, so for graduation (she graduated AGAIN) with my grandmother we are buying her a nice LCD. But there are lots of variations out there. I searched in newegg this afternoon and almost got dizzy
    Also, I am out looking for recomendations to my brother. He is in a tight budget, since he barely works but he might want to buy 2 since he is using dual display (with an old 15" dying CRT).
    He does play a lot of video games thought. His video card supports VGA and DVI, so the question will be what are good monitors on the chep, which are reasonable for gaming (17" and 19")
    My mother wants a 19" thought she is kind of short sighted. I am wondering if she would be able to read in the native resolution
    Also, do you guys know of a buyers guide in order to understand better the definitions?

Titanium Member
    what's she going to do with the 21"er?

Don't know. It takes quite a while to warm up (a couple of minutes) since it is kind of old. She might donate it

only VGA input but still good for gaming cause it has a 8ms responce time the rest of the specs are still in the good range but not the best.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824179015

This is the monitor that i want it is 8ms responce time most of the specs are on the higher end of good almost excellent, except for the responce time that is awesome. It is 19" and has DVI.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824179015

Titanium Member
    Are CRT still better than? I have plenty of space so that's not an issue. Just wondering.

CRT are still kinda better for games, if you have one not older than around four or five years old, but when you get around to 12ms to 8ms responce times for LCDs....
    LCDs are starting to compete with CRT when it comes to gaming.

The lower responce time monitors tend to have slightly lower brightness and contrast ratio than comparable CRTs but the LCDs i posted are still pretty good. They are not 1000:1 contrast ratio but they are not 500:1 either.

Titanium Member
    I use a Diamond Pro 930sb and it's super bright if I want it to be.

Someone bought a Benq lcd a few months back. I think it was rik. He has had it long enough to tell us more about the crt vs lcd issue.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I love my BenQ

I HAD a planar. It was a high end model and it was great for gaming. But......but.....
    I killed it today, with a power sag
    I will try to get a replacement because it should be in guarantee. I have also a 19" Mitsubishi Diamond Scan 90e. It is CRT, huge but great quality and the planar was paired with it. At work I have another planar and a Viewsonic, and the viewsonic sucks in comparison.
    I am still crying over my dead monitor