If it does I am damned if I can get it to appear as a button in my Word Formatting Menu. Or ANYWHERE. I would like to do this so I could select the German language on occasion so I could be able to put a diaresis mark (2 periods) over certain letters). What do I need to do to get the Language Bar to appear?

Well, I clicked on the Office Assistant, type in "Language bar" and came up with:

The Language bar appears in the upper-right corner of the screen in Microsoft Office programs. It is used for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, and Input Method Editors (IME).

Show the Language bar

• Right-click the language indicator button in the status area on the Microsoft Windows taskbar, and then select Show the Language bar. For example, if you're working in English, you'll see EN in the status area.

Where's the status area?
===========

I am not sure what the MS Windows Taskbar is--not even sure I have one. (?????). Closest thing I can see is the Normal, Web, Print Layout, Outline buttons at the bottom of the page and below that

Page 1 Section 1 1/1 At 1" Ln 1 Col 1 REC TRK EXT OVR ENG (US) and then the spelling/grammar check icon. Could these be the MS Windows taskbar--I don't know, but would not think so.

I also ran across this in My Word Help Menu:

To restore the language bar:

On the Windows Start Menu, click Settings > Ctrl Panel. Double click "text Services". But in my XP Home Edition Ctrl Panel I have no "text SVS" buton.

wumply