Thread: Any Major Difference...........?

Any Major Difference...........?

Hi,

What are the major Difference betwen Windows 2003 Server Enterprise edition, and XP Pro. ? Can I install windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition on my Home PC or is that "Overkill " ??

Titanium Member
    From what I understand XP Pro is a better workstation. Server is well........for servers.

ya 2003 is a server there is no clearer way to put that, it has all the capabilities of a server, i.e. user logons, user policies, etc.

windows xp is designed as a workstation that has some administrative capabilities of the server. So, what lynchknot said.

The difference is noticed when you have 1 or more computers on a lan with a server. So ya it is kinda overkill especially sence 2003 server costs way more than XP pro. But anything works... if you can get 2003 server for free than go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by beelzebub
    ya 2003 is a server there is no clearer way to put that, it has all the capabilities of a server, i.e. user logons, user policies, etc.

windows xp is designed as a workstation that has some administrative capabilities of the server. So, what lynchknot said.

The difference is noticed when you have 1 or more computers on a lan with a server. So ya it is kinda overkill especially sence 2003 server costs way more than XP pro. But anything works... if you can get 2003 server for free than go with that.

Yep, for Free, that is why the Q.

IMHO I would go with XP over W2K3, just so you dont have all the extra bloat and services that you will not need.

Badger