Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WinXP PRO Safemode Auto Reboot Loop

Question WinXP PRO Safemode Auto Reboot Loop

As is my habit, I periodically run my scanners while in safemode to guard against any particularly nasty intruder. You know, the ones that try to hide below the radar, so to speak. The safemode reboot resulted in an auto reboot. I have attempted to force safemode through every avenue available including HAK. Even Advanced Users Control Panel and Recovery Console have been no help. Repair install, System File Checker, chkdsk /r, you name it. I have run every scanner known to man, I think. Scanners have been run from system and online. From HiJack This on down, nothing reveals nothing. All drivers are XP compatible. CPU temp is 62C. I have checked and rechecked, repaired and re-repaired. The only thing I can find is in Event Viewer System log. Source is Svr, ID is 2000; this shows as an error code. MS Knowleged Base has no info. The Web has nothing except references to a problem with Win2000/NT. That recommends a servpack. BTW, MS Baseline Security Analyzer also gives clean bill of health. Call me crazy, but I think that something is hooking the function call with a redirect to a psuedo safemode screen which is being used to cover a boot call. Does this make sense to anyone. Is it possible. I need some truly serious help. I'll dance at your wedding, sing at your funeral, AND, vote for you in the next election; if you could only help me out.

Are you saying you can't boot safe mode?
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Thats real odd, seems as though you've tried pretty much everything other than you know what....Format.

Hopefully someone will have an answer.

[edit]=Mr someone showed up= Curio
    Last edited by FastGame; July 16th, 2005 at 18:47 PM.

Yepper, that's awhat I'ma saying. Scary, ain't it?

That is what I'm saying. No matter which route I take, the end result is a non-anticipated, non user initiated system restart. What's happening? Oh, BTW, Curio, I would if I could, but I cannot because there are none.
    Last edited by wgardenhire; July 16th, 2005 at 19:06 PM.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Have you installed any new software recently ??

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Only XP update KB898461. Surely that.......OMG. I wonder. I just looked back a little further. On the 15th, I have 5 Security Updates; 883939, 896428, 890046, 896358, & 896422. That's 6 total new updates to system just prior to safemode boot failure. I guess I have my work cut out for me now. Nothing but uninstall, re-install, rule out.
    Last edited by wgardenhire; July 16th, 2005 at 19:44 PM.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    to start 62 c is extremely high...with that said I would try taking all cards out except video and disconnect all IDE devices except your primary hard drive and see if boots up. If it boots up start connecting one at a time till you find the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by wgardenhire
    Only XP update KB898461. Surely that.......OMG. I wonder.
    I wouldn't think its that causing the problem. That is just an update that installs a permanent copy of the Package Installer.

Have you tried system restore ?? Select a point prior to the windows updates.

Alternatively uninstall the updates one by one via add/remove
    Last edited by Reverend; July 16th, 2005 at 19:46 PM.

That was long ago and far away.

You could try disabling auto restart:

Right click My Computer.
    Select Properties and on the Advanced tab hit the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.Uncheck Automatically restart. Hit OK.

Yeah, that's the only thing I know to do. Uninstall all, check if safemode is open, etc. When the boot process is underway, the safemode screen comes up with safe in all four corners and the product id and build number overlayed in the middle. Of course, the overlay runs across the words safe becaues of difference in screen resolution. Then, there is a screen change with an obvious display adjustment and the safemode screen comes back but this time with the correct resolution for my configuration. I can tell becaues the Product ID with Build Number is centered perfectly with no overrun into the corners. It should not do that since video drivers will not have been loaded. This driver loading is occuring just prior to the auto reboot being initiated. Any thoughts.

Thanx Phishhead, I'll see what I can do about that temp problem immediately. I really wasn't aware that it was that high. I've always seen that kind of temp.

Disabling Auto restart was one of the first things I tried. Have done that from msconfig, boot.ini, you name it. However, I just checked and I'll be damned. Didn't change it back after repair install. Gonna log off and try one of my forces. I'll be right back.

Quote Originally Posted by wgardenhire
    This driver loading is occuring just prior to the auto reboot being initiated. Any thoughts.
    You could uninstall you vid card drivers to see if it can get past the auto reboot sequence