Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP and Samsung HDD

XP and Samsung HDD

Yesterday morning my system refused to start stating that winlogon.exe was missing. As I've been thinking about getting a second HDD anyway I purchased a 120gb Samsumg 8mb Cache ATA 133 OEM, with the idea of setting the new drive as master, old drive as slave or at least copying over as much data as possible before formatting the old drive etc.

I disconnected my original HDD & hooked up the Samsung. It was recognised by my mobo and so I continued to load XP Pro, half way through it decided not to install stating that shell32.dll was missing, I tried a further 3 times with the same message. Out of interest (and desperation) I installed Windows ME and it went in fine, I tried to upgrade it to XP Pro same thing again.

I left the HDD over night and tried again with a fresh install of XP Pro, this time it allowed me to get as far as entering the CD Key then it stated that the CD key was invalid and therefore I'm stuck again.

My other idea is to put the new HDD in my second machine and try to format and install XP Pro from there. If that works, would it indicate that my mobo is cream crackered, or simply that the settings are wrong somewhere.

A few things to note:
    - My mobo is an ATA 100 one, I was assured by PC World that the Samsung ATA 133 would still run on it;

- Secondly my mobo supports S.M.A.R.T. and from the website the Samsung HDD is a S.M.A.R.T. drive, do I need to enable it? my old drive is not a S.M.A.R.T. drive, (its a western digital cavier 120gb);

- I'm assuming the jumpers are correct I can't swear on it that they are;

Some breadcrumbs please, it's completely stumped me.

Sian
    Last edited by webdivauk; July 17th, 2005 at 19:32 PM.

Have you tried to boot the old system using the Last Known Good Configuration - this will replace the files you are talking about. Press F8 during the early part of the boot and when the boot menu comes up select Last Known Good blah...blah...

Al modern drives are SMART capable you can set it to ON in the BIOS.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

maybe it is not your motherboard at all, have you checked to see if your cd drive works correctly. It might also mean you have insufficient power going to your hard drive. But if ME installed it is unlikely. Most likely your disk is scratched real bad. Or if you made the XP cd from another cd or an image the cd might have burned incorrectly. Of coarse you might have gotten a bad hard drive, but again unlikely. The other thing i can think of just off the top of my head, is that you have bad ram.

After checking all these things to see if they work, i would repartition the new hard drive (ntfs), and see if that does it.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    As beelzebub said,it sounds like your XP cd may be damaged,especially as it appears to keep throwing up the same missing file.

BTW off topic,but this "shell32.dll missing" error reminded me of a thread by the one and only LK. (Trying to boot with Frontpage cd,instead of XP cd)

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    BTW off topic,but this "shell32.dll missing" error reminded me of a thread by the one and only LK. (Trying to boot with Frontpage cd,instead of XP cd)

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594
    ahhh a Golden Archive guess you told BB to keep his mitts off that one.

To bad that thread didn't cover the 2hr long distance phone call that followed

He's been our lynchknot ever since

Ha ha great thread, the anti-climax was halarious. Is that a sticky, it should be, something like "what to check for before reinstalling an OS." Sorry lynchknot for laughing but it is too damn funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    Er, I'm not that bad!

I've finally got XP in as a fresh install on my new disk, if I connect the old drive as a slave to the new drive will it boot that drive as well? or should I just connect old drive back up and go for the F8?

Just leave everything the way it is, your new drive is better for the OS anyway. Move all your important files from the old drive, when you get everything running fine then format old drive for storage.

Set new drive in bios as first boot device, unless you want floppy or CD-Rom as first ?? When you boot if there's a problem with the two drives it'll give you an option of which to boot from.

Titanium Member
    Ha, so you have a good laugh at my declining eyesight and the fact that MS disks look similar in the way they use a "hologram" appearance on their CD's

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Just leave everything the way it is, your new drive is better for the OS anyway. Move all your important files from the old drive, when you get everything running fine then format old drive for storage.

Set new drive in bios as first boot device, unless you want floppy or CD-Rom as first ?? When you boot if there's a problem with the two drives it'll give you an option of which to boot from.
    I think I've hit another problem. I tried to start my old drive as master/single drive and pressed F8 and there's a partly installed version of XP Pro, a knackered version of Home Edition (no longer shell32.dll missing but hal.dll missing) and a partly installed version of Home XP to choose from. Not good.

So I plugged in my Samsung with the old drive as slave with the Samsumg as primary drive and system booting from HDD (both drives are recognised in Bios) but Windows seems to ignore my Samsung and tried to install XP Pro again onto my 2nd drive. Have I lost my data on my 2nd drive? If not how do I get my system to transfer my files (not system files but photographs etc) from 2nd drive to new drive? and then format drive 2?

As long as you didn't format your data should be ok. Install the system on the new drive without the old drive in the machine then when done turn off and put the old drive back in as a slave or on the secondary channel. When you boot up you should be able to browse and drag drop from th eold drive.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    that was in the year 2002!

we were all just babies in the xp world

cheers to fastgame for going the extra mile to help out!

fascinating story
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Install the system on the new drive without the old drive in the machine then when done turn off and put the old drive back in as a slave or on the secondary channel
    Yep, sorry.

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by egghead
    that was in the year 2002!

we were all just babies in the xp world

cheers to fastgame for going the extra mile to help out!

fascinating story
    You guys were babies but I was a turnip

Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    As long as you didn't format your data should be ok. Install the system on the new drive without the old drive in the machine then when done turn off and put the old drive back in as a slave or on the secondary channel. When you boot up you should be able to browse and drag drop from th eold drive.
    I've formatted new drive without old drive, but it's accessing the old drive that's giving me problems when using it as both a singular drive and a slave drive. I really think I've lost my data. When I first built the machine in 2002 I made a mess of the HDD by partitioning into 3 sections, installing XP Home onto the E drive/partition and part installing XP home onto the C partition/drive. The HDD worked with the E drive being the default drive with no problems so I decided to leave well alone. Now I'm reaping the rewards I think, of both not backing up all of my data and leaving part installs on my system. To make matters a zillion times worse I tried to install XP Pro onto the drive to get it to work and because of disk problems only got half way through that as well, hence why I think I might have lost part if not all my data
    Last edited by webdivauk; July 18th, 2005 at 19:44 PM.