Thread: Upgrading graphics

Upgrading graphics

i want to upgrade the graphics card in a five year old pc, all components are the same age. do I also need to upgrade motherboard processor, etc to upgrade graphics. It has a 900mhz processor, and im looking to get a graphics card between the nvidia 6000-6800 series. all help and advice is welcome
    Last edited by wheatleya; July 18th, 2005 at 21:22 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    You'll need to make sure your PC has a AGP slot and what type it is. What is the make and model of your PC ?

Are you going to play games ?

The best advice anyone can give you on purchasing the latest nvidia series graphics cards is, make sure it has GT in it's name.

You may have a problem though whealeya - 5 years in computer graphics years is a life time ago.

If you need/want to upgrade your graphics card for latest gaming purposes, you may be in some strife.

I don't think your 900 is going to make the grade.

The nvidia dirX 9+ compliant video cards are so buff, they now require their own power feed.

I put a GeForce 5600 ultra in a 1.2 system, and when the 3D real time rendering kicked in, the whole system just locked up......

For general graphics it was fine.

I'm still not sure if it was the power or the processing, but it froze solid and manual re-boot was the only way out.

The only way I managed to get around it was by going into BIOS and nerfing my AGP down to x2

If it's for latest games - I recommend you get a new system, or you may be in for a world of frustration and hurt.

Those graphics cards really suck the resources.

Oh - and another thing -

NOTE: Be very aware of the difference between PCI-E and AGP

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    You'll need to make sure your PC has a AGP slot and what type it is. What is the make and model of your PC ?

Are you going to play games ?
    Agp is no problem. th pc is an evesham evolution 1500 ultra, and i'd be using it to play only 2 or three games (incl. Halo) as it is only a secondary pc. If I was to upgrade processor what sort of speed are we looking at? 1.6ghz?

Theres no point buying a new one, I have a perfectly good PC, but itd be nice if i could play a couple of games over LAN.
    Last edited by wheatleya; July 19th, 2005 at 07:21 AM.

I can't find any info on that PC. You need to tell me what motherboad it has ?

Since its your secondary PC its sounds like a good Linux box project

the motherboard is an ASUS A7M266. And I would prefer to stick with windows, less hassle
    how do i find out what current power intake is?
    Last edited by wheatleya; July 19th, 2005 at 15:02 PM.

the motherboard is an ASUS A7M266
    Oh I know that board very well one of the best ever made, a true classic phishhead & Stripe like um also....

If your going to game then the ATI 9800pro or Nvidia 6600 GT AGP would be nice.

Update the bios to the latest and you can use the XP B core CPU's. The old 1400 T-Birds are classic for that board.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...hlight=A7M_266

Get a good after market (400-500watt) powersupply.
    Last edited by FastGame; July 19th, 2005 at 15:35 PM.

ok thanks, but that link is v. confusing... ive never done anything like this before. I will definately need a better cpu for a new graphics card? If so will I need to use that wire trick to do it? Where can i get the 1400 t-birds (in the UK)?

How does this look for a power supply? http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Produ...power%20supply

Looking at dabs.com, it says that the 6600 only works on windows 2000/XP, but at Nvidia's site http://nvidia.com/object/geforce6_techspecs.html It appears to state that all systems are covered. do you know which is correct?
    Last edited by wheatleya; July 19th, 2005 at 17:44 PM.

The 1.4 T-Bird will be fine, make sure you get the 266fsb model and not the 200fsb (fsb=Front Side Buss) The XP Palomino cores go right in also http://search.ebay.com/xp-palomino_W...fnuZ1QQfromZR8

Isn't there UK eBay ? Computer fair where they sell used parts ?

I wasn't a big gamer but I upgraded from an Nvidia Geforce 4 440mmx to a 6600 GT and what a difference. My mobo supports AGP 4 only and although the 6600 GT is an 8x AGP it runs at AGP 4 with no noticable problems. I do edit photographs etc and had some concerns about going for a gamer card but it's been a move I haven't regretted so far.

Actually, I'm now addicted to Guild Wars, especially since I can now use the signet of Capture and see the neon glow around the boss monsters!

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-IRX using a northwood P4 2.4 chip and 750mb of ram. The only thing I had to be wary of, was making sure that my graphics card was 1.5v, Gigabyte informed me that Geforce 4 and above are all 1.5v
    Last edited by webdivauk; July 19th, 2005 at 19:00 PM.

this what you mean? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ADME:B:BN:UK:1, also how do webdivauk's specs compare to mine?
    Last edited by wheatleya; July 19th, 2005 at 19:39 PM.