Thread: Peer to Peer VPN

Peer to Peer VPN

Ok, I have two locations that both use cable internet connection 5mbps. I want to connect these two sites as if they were on the same LAN. All computers are running either XP Home or Pro. I want to be able to access files on all computers like they are a connected network drive and I would like to be able to stream itunes music to any of these computers. There are only 5 computers total. Is this feasible or possible? Do I need to run server software on one of them? VPN, WAN, or something else?

It is most certainly possible, using any number of commercial products or preferably an open source solution. My personal favorite although it has a price tag (much cheaper than equivelent cisco equipment) is Wolverine firewall which is a close cousin to coyote linux (floppy router project). Then there is Devil linux a bootable cd based firewall and on and on....

Here is a link to Coyote and Wolverine
    http://www.coyotelinux.com/index.php

and here is a link to Devil Linux
    http://www.devil-linux.org/home/index.php

Badger

is there a free way?

Both Coyote and Devil are free AFAIK.

Badger

I noticed that most of them say they have linux boot disks. Does this mean that the computer with all the files being shared has to be running linux? Or is this just a program you can run while XP is running?
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with VPNs

No, what they mean is that you would set up a box (computer) at each end that is booted using a floppy or cd-rom running linux at which point you establish either a pptp or ipsec connection (a tunnel) between them. This would allow you to treat each side as though they were on the same segment.

Badger