Thread: ZoneAlarm Security Suite detects viruses

ZoneAlarm Security Suite detects viruses

I've just uninstalled NAV to try out ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6. It's a nice neat package. After a virus/spyware scan, it's showing me this:

Nevermind eDonkey and SpyAgent because I installed them. But I don't know what to do about the other two Java.Shinwow and Java.ByteVerify!exploit. It says there's no treatment and suggests using archiving software to delete the files. What do you think? And why the hell didn't NAV tell me anything about them? Could it be a false threat?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    But I don't know what to do about the other two Java.Shinwow and Java.ByteVerify!exploit. It says there's no treatment and suggests using archiving software to delete the files. What do you think? And why the hell didn't NAV tell me anything about them? Could it be a false threat?
    They are real (not FP), delete your temp files, internet cache and you might have to delete System restore points.

Nortons should have caught those, maybe a setting is wrong ?

"Java.Shinwow and Java.ByteVerify!exploit" are harmless to Firefox, use Firefox when you surf pron
    Last edited by FastGame; July 23rd, 2005 at 16:43 PM.

Thanks! I found out where they are located. In %userprofile%\.jpi_cache\jar\1.0 inside a zipped file and, as far as I know, malware can't do any harm when they are zipped (tell me if I'm wrong). May be NAV didn't catch them because they are zipped but I remember it was supposed to scan zip files

How did these viruses get there? Any idea?

BTW, the folder contains several other ZIP and IDX files. The infected files are Matrix.class and Dummy.class.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    "Java.Shinwow and Java.ByteVerify!exploit" are harmless to Firefox, use Firefox when you surf pron
    I can use Opera 8 for that
    Last edited by hotmale; July 23rd, 2005 at 18:13 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    "Java.Shinwow and Java.ByteVerify!exploit" are harmless to Firefox,
    I said that wrong, they aren't harmful if you use Sun Java.

How did these viruses get there? Any idea?
    Js in a web site, I've only seen it @pron sites. If someone knows sites other than pron I'd like to see it.

Avast! WebShield stops those things dead in their tracks before they can get on PC NOD 32 & KAV have HTTP scanners also.
    Last edited by FastGame; July 23rd, 2005 at 19:29 PM.

Thanks, again. But I still don't understand why they're lying in a zipped file Shouldn't they be trying to wreak havoc on my system?

edit: I guess they attempted to extract, but NAV stopped them.