Thread: WinXP Home or Pro wont install please help ^_^

WinXP Home or Pro wont install please help ^_^

ok i have install xp before on this system with no problems had a dual boot xp/ME then decided to scrap Me and stay with XP now it Wont install(clean or upgrade) it Hangs at the starting windows part let it go for an hour and nothing i am running a amdXP 1800+ 512ddr Kr7a-133R motherboard 2 40g Maxtor drives w/raid 0 g4 ti4200 ,Audigy,and a realtek nic have tried formats low level formats just video and mem ,differnt vid and mem , defaults in bios etc ..... any Clues Pleas let me Know i Appreciate it Thanks In Advance

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Try borrowing a friend's CD-ROM, it might have a problem reading the XP disc.

tried a cdr ,cdrw, dvd,cdrom same thing this has happened to me on another machine as well i also have all the latest drivers

Have you looked at this post on RAID? My system has done the same thing, just sat there staring at me on the start up screen. What happened was the information was loaded onto the HDD but the HDD was not made the BOOT drive. XP could never find the boot and it just keep looking and looking. I had to reformat the array (I use NTFS and RAID 0,1) and then start over and all worked fine. I have found that using the RAID for the Boot may not be the best idea, even though that is what I am doing as well. Be sure and check out the page on RAID and what each level does. RAID 0 may not be your best choice here. One other option is to use another drive to keep the OS on and your 2- 40g as a strip array (0) for data only...... One more thing that I have found is not to set the array to full, i.e. if you have a 40 GB array set it up as say two 20 GB partitions... Mine is now set up as C:= 10GB, D:= 10GB, etc........ XP will live very happy on 10GB and you will have faster access time because the drive partition is smaller and can be scanned faster. Another good thing about doing it this way is when you have to defrag you will only defrag a small partition which does not take as long....

I hope this helps, post back and let us know how it is going..

Welcome to the forum CanOpeas, glad to have you and post often as we like a changle....
    Last edited by Tinker; August 4th, 2002 at 06:58 AM.

Im Pertty sure i checked that but i will try that again but i have had that happen on 2 systems one had on board raid and ther other did not have any raid at all it really puzzling But Thanks for the info I let you Know How It Goes

Angry

still no go

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Is it connected to the interenet IE you have the modem cable plugged into the NIC? If so try unplugging any non-essential peripherals and see if it will install for you...
    Just an idea, it may or may not work.
    BB

Have you went into your BIOS and set the CD-RW as you first boot device?

yep first boot is cd second is raid and third is raid

also tried only video,Memory & tried different video and memory

i aslo tried a suggestion from another message board to clear cmos and only change boot sequence and try installing it that way with no luck