Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shell32.dll missing

Titanium Member

shell32.dll missing

Hello, i'm having to use the 'ol webtv box to communicate. I was trying to change the toolbar icons in IE and I messed up. Now my PC won't work. The message says "This application has failed to start because SHELL32 was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." - Well i'd like to but I can't get to windows! Please advise me, someone! Thanks.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Boot with the XP disc in the CDROM then try doing a Repair.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    lynchknot when you start to boot up keep hitting F-8 you'll come to some options...

Try boot into Safe Mode with Command prompt , type in sfc /scannow , make sure there's a space between sfc and the /
    or try just sfc and you should get a list of options.

Can also try Last Known Good , anyway you'll see the options just give um a try. If these don't work you'll need to do a repair unless someone comes by with other ways for a fix , I've never crashed XP so these are all I know about. In most cases I'm sure you need the XP CD...hope you have one

BTW when you get going post a pic of your WebTv desktop....J/K ...wish you well

[edit]= sorry guess I should post reply before eating dinner...Thanks Conan

Titanium Member
    How do you boot from disk? I've been putting the disk in and getting the same message.

Go into Bios & rearrange boot sequence to CD-Rom first instead of HD

Press delete while booting to get to Bios....just in case you needed this info

Titanium Member
    I know where my shell is. It's in the recyle bin. I put it there before I rebooted. I thought since I renamed the other shells - I didn't need this. It's still there - just can't get to it. I forgot how to reboot off the disk. Can someone tell me. I tried all the safe mode options - none of them work. If I get through this I will post a screenie of my webtv. desktop!

Titanium Member
    Ok, in bios > boot tab there are 5 devices. One is removable. It says "legacy floppy" I tried that it doesn't work. Under removeable there is LS120, Zip, atapi mo, usb fdd, and usb zip. I guess the most logical would be ls20-whatever that is. Oh wait, I notice there is atapi cd-rom. I'll try that first.

Thats odd that happend...thought Shell32 was a protected file ?

Anyway looks like a Repair Job is in the need.

At the first boot screen hold down Delete this will get you into Bios. Once in Bios go to BOOT then highlite CD-ROM or CD-R what ever you want to boot from , press the + over on the righthand side of key board (numbers pad) to move the CD-Rom to the top of boot sequence. Exit & save changes and turn off comp after exit. Now you can restart with the XP CD in and you will see the XP options , choose repair.

Was only kidding about WebTv desktop...would be fun to see though

Titanium Member
    Well, no matter what I do - I have ATAPI CD_ROM as #1 > exit saving changes > still get the error message.

From FastGame's post: Exit & save changes and turn off comp after exit. Now you can restart with the XP CD in and you will see the XP options , choose repair.

Be sure to turn of the computer for 30 seconds or more and then turn it back on. This will allow the memory to clear, sometimes just restarting (booting) does not work and remember to have the XP CD in the drive.

When your in Bios at the first screen where it shows HD highlite , press enter and select NONE then exit save changes & see if it will boot into XP. If it does then go back & redo HD to Auto and try again.

Make sure that every time you do these things you actually turn off comp after exit & save , before trying to reboot.

[edit] What the heck even did refresh & didn't see tinker...Thanks Tinker
    Last edited by FastGame; August 5th, 2002 at 01:30 AM.

Titanium Member
    I'm trying to boot with the full version xp pro cd. is that ok. the sony system recovery disk does work but i was trying to avoid losing everything. If I have to go that route, i'm going to do a clean pro install instead of an upgrade over home.

Titanium Member
    ok fastgame i did that and now i'm getting "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter ---- i did that and it does not work - the same message appears.

Go to your PM'S I'll give you my phone number..call me collect...I can't keep up this way....will walk you through on phone

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by FastGame
    Go to your PM'S I'll give you my phone number..call me collect...I can't keep up this way....will walk you through on phone
    What a generous offer from FastGame! Now that's the kind of service you get from Techzonez!