Thread: Zen's sig and avatar

Titanium Member

Z3n's sig and avatar

The following is a matter of opinion. My opinion - so please, I am not soliciting debate.

Re: your sig and avatar, I have to admit. Damn, you're good

I bet you could make some great browser icons utilizing the colors and style of your avatar and sig. I see icons along the lines of your yin-yang with a touch of gold used in your avatar's lettering (*which will render a elegant look as opposed to plain metallic) - part metallic raised and cutout showing background of toolbar perhaps when you click on them they render a push-button effect -perhaps using typical icons such as "home" as a template (but more Mac style without the detail of windows icons). It would make a very elegant browser toolbar.

I also think it would become number one or at least one of the top downloads. Look at the present numero uno: https://addons.mozilla.org/themes/mo...&page=previews - it's candy. Too much color. It lacks elegance. This is exactly what browser toolbars are missing - elegance. I don't want to see a cartoon on my browser toolbar. I want champagne and caviar styled elegance.

Judging from your work, you are an artist and you know what I'm saying. I know you do. The browser toolbar should be a beautiful frame not the showcase. Icons should be all uniform - identical in color and size yet easily distinguishable. It should not distract from webpages yet function as it's intended purpose - a toolbar. I believe this is the same format Apple follows if you notice Safari's toolbar.

Take a look at the top Fx themes. Do you see any elegance at all? - https://addons.mozilla.org/themes/sh...ry=Top%20Rated
    Last edited by lynchknot; July 29th, 2005 at 18:19 PM. Reason: title misspelled

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Judging from your work, you are an artist and you know what I'm saying. I know you do.
    Well he's a professional graphics artist by trade so he should be good, and he is

Very nice work z3n

I also think it would become number one or at least one of the top downloads. Look at the present numero uno: https://addons.mozilla.org/themes/mo...&page=previews - it's candy. Too much color. It lacks elegance.
    All in the eye of the beholder, "too much color" ? I don't think so, its real pretty and thats exactly why its #1 The icons are candy coated and the best looking. Thats why I told you a FF theme made to match SZC-KDE would take over the #1 spot, take XP Royale to a new level
    Last edited by FastGame; July 29th, 2005 at 14:23 PM.

Titanium Member
    To each his own I guess. However, Apple has the right idea (imo)and they are "light years" ahead of MS in graphics. All I'm saying is candy coated bubble gum icons are not elegant. No offense but It's seems most people (nonartistic) require more visual stimulus while the more artistically inclined prefer a more subdued uninformed approach to frame the internet world. The browser as a frame to hold the picture, not the showcase. The focus should be the webpage, not the brightly colored icons framing the webpage. Can you image the....I don't know....the Mona Lisa framed with multicolored bubble gum drops? It would ruin the art as the frame would take some focus away from the work. Webpages are the webmaster's "work of art".

XP royal? Ewwwww!

Last edited by lynchknot; July 29th, 2005 at 16:32 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    All I'm saying is candy coated bubble gum icons are not elegant.
    I'm oppisite, the masses prefer "candy coated bubble gum icons" to them they are " elegant"

Who the heck wants a Donald Trump theme ?

Titanium Member
    I'm not the masses and the masses are not a good judge. The masses are also Jay Leno's All Stars (in that respect, you are not the masses FG) And many, many people also like Mac styled themes. I like Donald Trump but he's too fancy, not artistic, he's borderline "pimp" - Bubble gum is never elegant unless you're a valley girl. Why are you arguing on my thread? So I don't make something new? I don't even know if icons are Z3n's thing or not. There's too much candy as it is, time for a change. That #1 theme makes me gag it's so ugly. It's like putting colorful stickers all over your car - which many people do. Do you drive a sticker mobile FG? Or do you have bumper stickers? Just wondering. (Please, no offense intended if you do FG)

*to me, anything that detracts from (such as a beautiful sports car) with stickers is an artistic sin.

Who the heck wants a Donald Trump theme
    - so, in essence, you are saying Zen's avatar and sig are crap and the colors would look like crap for a browser theme?

Check out the number one Mac themes: http://www.macthemes.net/reviews/themes.php We all know the greatest computer artists are "on the other side" why not bring some of their work or philosophy to windows? As a mattter of fact MS is - as witness with some of Vista's "realism" icons. NO CANDY but icons that look like little pictures of real objects.

I edited my opening post (shown below) to avoid debate. This is not the thread's intended purpose

The following is a matter of opinion. My opinion - so please, I am not soliciting debate.
    Last edited by lynchknot; July 29th, 2005 at 18:36 PM.

Titanium Member
    OK well. I guess I settle for my own Revolution theme - which is still incomplete.

Woah - I really missed a whole bunch.

Thank you for your kind comments LK and Fastgame.

I really appreciate your remarks, seriously guys....it made my day.

I missed all this thread today because, as well as being a graphic designer/illustrator, I am primarily a professional artist and I have been preparing for an exhibition of paintings.

All the work has to be completed and submitted to the gallery by this Tuesday for hanging, so i have been busting my hump on the canvas all day.

I'm glad to say that it's all looking great and I've nearly finished.... Pheeew...

Anyway, back to your original idea's LK - I think it's a great concept.

I've done some moding of my browser before (Firefox) and it was very fiddly and time consuming. I learnt a little but as soon as I updated my browser, I lost it all

I think your idea is great but I don't really know very much about it.

Maybe with our experience combined, we could achieve a pimped out class act broswer.

We could call it "Bling"
    Last edited by z3n; July 31st, 2005 at 05:20 AM.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Titanium Member
    Is that "Bling" with an Aussie accent?

Well - if you make the icons, i'll assemble the rest (not just icons on a toolbar) - or I can help you (answer questions). Either way, I just want something different. Many iconist prefer to create art rather than mess with what is involved in an application - so they are agree to share credits and have their work seen or they sell their work to the application's developers.

BTW, there's a big difference between "bling" and elegance.
    Last edited by lynchknot; July 31st, 2005 at 14:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LK
    BTW, there's a big difference between "bling" and elegance.
    O.k. point taken, it was a bit of a joke on my part.

After tomorrow and my paintings are in, I will be negotiating some illustrations for a series of books.

If that goes through I'll be up to my ears.

If not, I'd more that happy to collaborate with you bud.

I'm just letting you know about my other commitments so there is no confusion.

I'd be great to work with you on this LK - but making money comes first

Can you make a zip file of some default icons (just a couple to start with) and upload them somewhere ?

I'll use their sizes as a template.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Titanium Member
    OK. It will require some time because any old home won't do. More than likely Apple style (glyphs only) buttonized - because of the simplicity - it would appear too plain whith the metallic applied alone - that is where the gold "trim" adds a bit of elegance (also add a bit of shine) - just the way you have it on your letters - not overdone.
    Last edited by lynchknot; July 31st, 2005 at 22:57 PM.