Thread: Dell Inspiron 3000

Dell Inspiron 3000

This one will keep you scratching your head...

Someone brought me a Dell Inspiron 3000 to repair. The machine boots partially into Win 95 (see splash screen) then fails and says a VXD file is missing and can't continue. It also says the os might need to be reinstalled.

I put in win 98 disk to reinstall. The cd rom drive is not recognized. I try to go into the Bios. The bios is password protected and owner doesn't know the password. I even swapped out the cd rom drive for the floppy drive to see if that was recognized and that wasn't either. Tried booting in safe mode and that failed too. When it prompted for a number on the safe mode menu, it wouldn't accept any input. Would only beep..

I can't replace the missing file because it won't recognize any kind of media drive.

So, needless to say, this piece of junk has some major issues? Any ideas? I told the dude to just throw it away. Or is it worth salvaging?

Why win 95? Don't ask me. That's what was on it and I'm only trying to fix it. I have no clue why someone would still be using 95.

On Dells that old there tend to be jumpers that allow you to remove the bios password, look around the mobo abit and you might find it. If not just clear CMOS. Then check to see if all of the IDE cables are securely plugged in. Then if that doesnt work swap out all of the cables. If that doesnt work swap out the drives for different drives.

If possible try installing 2000 or XP. The 98 installs are annoying, and 2000 and XP are easier.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Beelzebub,

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...l=en&cs=&s=gen

That link says that this system has no jumpers.

I can't remember my BIOS password on my Laptop. How do I reset it?
    The ONLY way to reset a forgotten password on a Dell Portable computer is to call Dell's Mobile Computing Hotline at 1.800.247.9252 (have your System Service Tag Number handy). After a Dell Tech verifies that you really are the owner of the machine you will be given the master password, which is unique for every Portable computer that Dell manufactures. There is absolutely no other way to do this as there are no jumpers on the mainboard like a desktop system has.

-------------------------------------

Found that on the net concerning the BIOS password. If you call that line they may be able to supply the master password.

If you can get the floppy to work, you might try flashing the BIOS with the update linked below:

http://tinyurl.com/axs7l

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Yup they can help you reset the bios password but You will have to confirm the registered owners info first.

It's going to be next to impossible to verify the owner since the dude who brought it to me, claims that the current owner "found" the machine. These are people who clean hotel rooms after the people leave. What stays behind, they have first dibs on. So, who knows who owned it...

Then He is $crewed.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Then He is $crewed.
    Rik,
    Does that laptop have a CMOS? If so, would pulling the battery reset the password?

Yes and No. From what I understand they are encoded so that the PW is absolute until changed or removed by the owner.

Here is more info on this issue but whether any of the fixes will work is anybodys guess:
    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/BIOS_hack.htm

Sorry i was thinking about this old opteron model number from a while back, my bad.

Um try putting the 95 hard drive in a different laptop and reinstalling the OS. As long as the OS is older than XP there should be little problems with putting that hard drive back in the 3000 after it is redone.

Of course i might be wrong about this too, I am a little rusty on hard drive mechanics.