Thread: Bios Not detecting DVD-RW

Bios Not detecting DVD-RW

I need some real help I recently was trying to add a fifth device to my computer with Ide/Sata converter I tried and was unable to get the device to work. It would say code 10 device not starting. Ok My computer was working ok, then when I took the device out and restarted, I noticed my dvd-rw and cdrw drives not appearing when I open My Computer. I also get ATAPI incompatible for the CDRW(slave drive). My DVD-RW(Master) Is not detected at all in BIOS during booting up. So when My computer is booting up I only see my hard drives when right clicking My Computer. I don't see CD/DVD Drives or Floppy. It was all detecting prior to this and was working fine. The light does turn on for both drives, but no functions. I have two IDE controllers and two SATA controllers on Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon ver. 2.0 Mobo. Amd sempron 2400+ and 1GB corsair value select memory. So I thought I can add another device to my SATA. I can't even boot my floppy to do anything with this computer. Man I need some serious help with this. The only three drives detecting are the two hard drive and one CDRW in bios(not when booted into windows xp home). When computer is booted the Hard drives anly appear when right clicking My Computer no Floppy and no DVD, CD Drives. I recently updated the Bios about three weeks before. Did'nt have any problems with Bios being update. Computer ran fine it went haywire after removing the fifth device I had connected with SATA converter.
    Last edited by techhelp2005; August 2nd, 2005 at 15:51 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    So I thought I can add another device to my SATA.
    You can but as far as I know Optical drives are sometimes a bugger to get running on SATA.
    What the situation comes down to is that optical drives require ATAPI, a protocol which has been standardized in Ultra ATA technology for years. Many first generation Serial ATA solutions have not included ATAPI support, which is why optical drives could not work on Serial ATA/150 controllers, even with ATA/133 to SATA adapters.
    Your Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon would fit this, older early SATA.

My question, are the optical drives on the IDE or SATA controlier ?

On the floppy make sure the cables & power are fully seated, might of got bumped while installing other device. Check all the cables....

The ideal setup on your MB using multiple drives is, make sure you have the SATA drivers installed, the HD's on the SATA using the IDE/SATA converter if needed, the optical drives on the IDE controliers.

My SATA stuff is disconnected now I am back to original IDE set up with two Hard drives and DVD-RW and CD-RW drives. One Master and slave for the 4 devices. I was trying to connect a DVD-ROM with the SATA before and have given up on it. I just want my computer back to the way it was. Ok I went back and checked my connections and noticed I did somehow remove the power wire for my floppy, I have corrected that and it shows me a Floppy now. Thanks for helping with the floppy. But I still don't show any CDRW and DVDRW drives It tells me Slave drive is ATAPI incompatible when booting. I wanna know if this is a problems with BIOS or with WINDOWS XP HOME.
    Last edited by techhelp2005; August 2nd, 2005 at 16:26 PM.

Go into your bios and make sure the SATA is disabled, make sure all other settings are correct.

Go to My Computer> Properties> Hardware> Device Manager> click on Floppy disk controlliers and right click on Standard floppy disk controllier, choose uninstall.

Do the same thing on IDE ATA/ATAPI controlliers, uninstall the Primary & Secondary IDE controllier.

Reboot and see if everything is detected now.

[edit]= if your bios isn't detecting the drives, make sure all cable connection are correct, pull battery out of MB and reset the CMOS, reset all bios settings back the way you want.
    Last edited by FastGame; August 2nd, 2005 at 16:29 PM.

Dude My floppy is working just the CD/DVD drives not working. I did clear cmos about three times already and resetted bios to original settings. I wanna know if this is a bios problem or XP problem. I did all you said the only drives it detected were the two hard drives, no cd drives at all. And I get ATAPI incompatible during bootup press f1 to resume. Is this BIOS problem or WIN XP driver problem. Cause if its windows xp driver problem. Then all I gotta do is reinstall windows again. Thank you for your help. BIOS only detects two Primary Hard drives and One Secondary Slave CdRW drive, It won't detect my Brand new DVD-Burner, which is set to Master I checked all connections and replaced the IDE cable for the two cd/dvd drives. Man this is mind boggleing. The Bios detects the slave drive but when windows is up and running I don't see either the CDRW or DVDRW drives at all. Only two hard drives and a floppy.
    Last edited by techhelp2005; August 2nd, 2005 at 17:50 PM.

Does your PC bootup fine with no opticals drives hooked up ? if it dose then use System Restore. After that try booting with only one of the drives, if that works then try the other drive by its self. If both drives work by themselves then try again with both hooked up.

If its the XP drivers you don't need to reinstall, do an XP repair. If you think its the bios then reflash it with the latest bios.

[edit] what is your bios version ? what brand is the new DVD drive ? is it hooked up on the end of the cable and CD-Rom on middile connector ?
    Last edited by FastGame; August 2nd, 2005 at 18:22 PM.

Its gettin there....

Ok I flashed the BIOS. I also switched NEC3540DVDRW(Master) to the Slave Position and put the CDRW drive to Master position. Now it detects the CDRW. I think the DVDRW might be defective?Whats your guess. I still get the ATAPI incompatible for slave drive at bootup. But now at least it shows me a CDRW drive i when right clicking My Computer. And I can run my CDs.

I think the DVDRW might be defective?Whats your guess.
    I don't know, I'm trying to imagine what you've done.

You need to answer my questions. Questions apply to only one drive on the IDE cable, no other drive hooked up.

1. Dose the DVD drive show up with the jumper pin set as Master and on the end connector of the IDE cable.

2. Dose the DVD show up with the jumper pin set as slave and on middle connector of IDE cable.

3. Do the same thing in 1&2 except set the jumper pin on DVD to CS (Cable select) and see if it works, let me know...

Repeat steps 1, 2, 3 with the CD-R/RW drive and let me know.

I still get the ATAPI incompatible for slave drive at bootup
    You had the same error when you had the CD-R/RW hooked up as slave

That is what i was thinking fastgame, I think that both drives are set to master and that is why you only see a master.

Oh ya boot up problems are never to be concidered OS problems. Boot up problems are hardware not software. Unless you are talking about the boot up when you see the windows splash screen with the drivers loading progress bar.

It's gotta be the DVD-RW

Ok I disconnected the CDRW and just connected the DVDRW as Master and got the same error at the beginning ATAPI incompatible. I tried it in Cable Select mode same thing. I tried without any jumper slave,master or cable select, same thing. I connected the CDRW detected everytime without any problems, no error messages about atapi incompatible during bootup. It seems the DVDRW is the culprit. So I will be sending it back to the company for a replacement. I have installed my old setup which was a DVD-ROM drive as master and CDRW as slave. I rebooted and voila, no ATAPI incompatible errors at startup. Both drives are detected in BIOS. And WIN XP installed the drivers automatically when it started. Everything is working okay. The DVDRW goes back to company today for replacment. Man what a big headache that was. Thank you so much for your support Fastgame, if I can give you a better tech help rating just let me know. If they have a survey on this site for techs. Thanks again.
    Last edited by techhelp2005; August 3rd, 2005 at 13:18 PM.

The NEC3540 is an excellent drive, for the most part they're problem free.

One last thing you can try, if you haven't done so already is update your MB with the latest VIA 4-1 drivers.