Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vista connection problems

Hi
    I think Iam having the same problem but its a little weirder.. an overview of my sytem first:
    harddisk 1 - XP media center - everyhitng works fine
    harddisk 2 - Vista beta 1 - having problems with internet
    (Iam also having problems with the dual booting but that dosn't matter for now)
    Anyways, in IE7 I can't visit any websites EXCEPT (and heres the weird thing) www.google.com!!! Nothing else works, it looked like the nic wasn't working or somthing then Itry gogle and everything works. I can search but not follow any of the links. I will try some of the things suggested here. I am also about to try firefox but seeing as thats for XP I don't expect that to work at all. Iam also going to try MSN messenger to see if I can get a connection there.
    Oh yeah, and when you submit problems and it ties to find solutions, that all seems fine and it must be connecting to some kind of server for microsoft, so it can't be my hardware.
    And another thing Iam using SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (which is the same as eden1's)
    I have no idea whats going on, anyone?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    firefox works fine in Longhorn. I think you have an issue with your hardware and longhorn.

yeah firefox does work (the same as IE7 though (only google.com)). I don't think its a hardware problem, I can ping any site and get replies. I installed MSN messenger and that won't connect to the server but there is a connection troubleshooter in it which is interesting. It tests certain aspects of your connection abnd it had little green ticks next to these 5 options:
    IP
    default gateway
    hosts file
    DNS
    proxy server

And it timed out or didn't work on these 3:
    IE's offline setting
    Key ports
    Wireless

I've also tried completly disabelling the firewall, but only google.com works there aswell. Also I found that if I go to news.com it will bring in the title of the page but nothing else. Its very weird, its as though Vista is filtering out sites it dosn't like (ie the whole web apart from google)
    Any ideas?

Ooooh i can also get on cisco.com ...

Have you tried making a new hosts file in Vista? And matching IP addresses with the websites you want to visit? That is an idea.

Also, are you using any kind of router, switch or hub?

I don't know what you mean about a hosts file. But Iam using a router and vista does crash it from time to time so that could be the problem. Iam still looking into it.

hi,

I am the same problem. My internet connexion goes to www.google.com, www.cisco.com, and i'm finding www.msfn.org too.

Same results on IE7 & Firefox

Are you using a router or are u connecting straight onto the internet? Can you tell me anything about how you customized Vista so far, I need to see whats the same and whats different about our computers.

Ok i found a few more sites that i can go to lol, this one (iam typing on Vista atm) download.com and mozila.org. I can't get to apple.com or microsoft.com. Can anyone see any similarites between the sites I can't access? For instance if it tries to load other files, like java or javascript or somthing. I can't see any difference, it just seems to be random.

try connecting without your router... I suspect that might be the culprit.. if not you can rule it out.

I can't connect without it, the vista comps upstairs and the router is downstairs. We've tried lots of things now and mym dads tried "fixing it" but hes only managed to break my ATI dirvers now so I got crap refresh, no internet and this is annoying me now. Ill keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jether
    I don't know what you mean about a hosts file. But Iam using a router and vista does crash it from time to time so that could be the problem. Iam still looking into it.
    http://accs-net.com/hosts/how_to_use_hosts.html

There's some info about the hosts file. That may work and then again it may not.

Can you get in your router config and also try to setup the Longhorn box as a DMZ? You should find that setting in your router config.

OK ill look at the hosts stuff, whats DMZ? sorry iam a bit of a noobie with the terms and stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jether
    OK ill look at the hosts stuff, whats DMZ? sorry iam a bit of a noobie with the terms and stuff...
    In the router configuration (differs by maker) there is usually a setting for opening all ports up to a specific internal IP on the LAN (192.168.X.X). You put your internal IP that your PC uses into a prompt and check the enable DMZ box and bam your computer is now open to the WWW... it is useful for troubleshooting port issues.. but you shouldn't use the DMZ all the time unless you have a software based firewall installed and even then it might not be a good idea.