Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista connection problems

Question Vista connection problems

Hi all - im curious if anyone else has had any connection problems with vista as ive just installed it as a dual boot with my xp home(i know but its legit)and it loads up fine along side xp the only problems ive had have been a few sharing issues between o.s's and this damned connnection problem..
    I have a valid i.p address which is exactly the same under xp (which you would expect) the connection settings within ie7 and firefox are all correct (mirrored from xp) deactivated firewalls,even added valid dns servers etc, am still at a loss...

in brief : p4 2.6gb with 512mb ram - on 1mb blueyonder
    win xp home - connection fine
    win vista beta1 - no connection

Phew .. end of rant...

Any help appricaited guys n gals.....Eden

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Is your NIC being recognised?

nic

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    Is your NIC being recognised?
    yeah sure Biggy i have a valid ip and the nic is not a problem in device manager ect......

any wizer?

ta Eden1

What Ip protocal are you using (i.e. IPv4 or IPv6), is windows firewall on?

What connection are you talking about, to the internet or to a LAN? If you do have a lan do you have access to it?

THe LAN is broken mostly in Vista... or so I've been told.

I dunno. It is a BETA.... don't forget that.

And you could try renewing or releasing the IP.. YOu could try uninstalling and reinstalling the NIC.

You could try setting the IP info manually in the NIC properties.

Also you could use your XP network setup wizard to create a configuration disk. Then boot into Longhorn and try to use that disk to setup your networking in Longhorn... but there is not guarantee that that will work.

the ip is fine m8 when release/renew/repair is ran longhorn reports back "no problems"
    i dont have a lan setup its just my internet connection, and the weird thing is its just browsers that dont connect , my avast anti virus updates no problem ?!?!?

the nic is also fine no errors there...

Puzzled....Eden1

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Are you running a SW firewall? If so, see if it has your browsers blocked.

Have you tried removing the NIC in Device manager and reinstalling it? If without errors, perhaps reinstalling it might fix your issue... It's worth a try.

Have you tried opening up a command prompt and pinging your localhost? Have you tried pinging websites???

If so what reply do you get if any?

If not, why not try that?

I have also read that the Vista Windows Firewall has to be set every time you boot to allow your browser access.... that could be the problem. It seems that it won't hold the config settings once you have configured it and then rebooted.

Another thing I read on another forum was that several Nvidia based motherboards where having issues with onboard network cards... they couldn't connect even when everything appeared to be working and properly configured.

When they did a driver update with drivers that were compatible with Vista, everything was successful. But as you didn't list your NIC type or motherboard I cannot be certain that this information is applicable to your situation.
    Last edited by Big Booger; August 3rd, 2005 at 13:47 PM.

Hiya m8 my spec is - via - P4M266-PM12-TC mainboard
    Network Card 2: D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev.A)
    Network Card 3: SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    im using the sis card atm.

off to try again ,i'll get there eventually lol...

Peace Eden1

Not sure if my connection problem using Vista is the same as the original posters, but after installing Vista with XP Pro as dual-boot, i completely lost my internet connection under XP. I would get the "X" across the local area connection icon which said my connection was physically unplugged. When i booted back to Vista... my connection was fine.

Now the funny part... yesterday i installed Vista on a stand-alone harddrive on my computer at work which has the exact same Motherboard as my home system with the broadcom onboard LAN(Asus P4PE). This morning, i decided to swap harddrives back to my XP Pro drive and low and behold... the exact same problem as i am having with my home machine. The connection is gone... "X" across the local area connection icon.

I powered down the machine and unplugged it and then yanked the battery on the motherboard for a few minutes and put it back in and powered it back up.

Now my connection for my XP Pro is back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gforce
    Not sure if my connection problem using Vista is the same as the original posters, but after installing Vista with XP Pro as dual-boot, i completely lost my internet connection under XP. I would get the "X" across the local area connection icon which said my connection was physically unplugged. When i booted back to Vista... my connection was fine.

Now the funny part... yesterday i installed Vista on a stand-alone harddrive on my computer at work which has the exact same Motherboard as my home system with the broadcom onboard LAN(Asus P4PE). This morning, i decided to swap harddrives back to my XP Pro drive and low and behold... the exact same problem as i am having with my home machine. The connection is gone... "X" across the local area connection icon.

I powered down the machine and unplugged it and then yanked the battery on the motherboard for a few minutes and put it back in and powered it back up.

Now my connection for my XP Pro is back!!!

That is quite odd. But I suppose it might be worth checking out for the user having the connection issue. Thanks for sharing gforce.

Hey Eden,

I had the same problem...its AVAST. I could not connect to the internet, but if you disable the Avast On Access Protection...IE7 has no problems with internet connections. I wonder if this is an IE7 issue with Avast or Vista? Have you installed IE7 on an Xp system and run Avast? Does it work?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spydar
    Hey Eden,

I had the same problem...its AVAST. I could not connect to the internet, but if you disable the Avast On Access Protection...IE7 has no problems with internet connections. I wonder if this is an IE7 issue with Avast or Vista? Have you installed IE7 on an Xp system and run Avast? Does it work?
    I've installed IE7 on XP with Avast and my internet connection had no problems.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    well my 2 cents

dlink router and vista

trying to install soundcard

lost internet.

but not just internet. I could no longer access other computers. even after multiple reboots

turns out vista spiked my router or something and simple solution was to unplug router power for a sec.

weird

no joke
    ------------------------------------------------------------

im gonna try the possible solutions in the morning

some good/interesting ideas bouncing around ,,,,

ill let ya's know....cheers eden1