Thread: Your take on a program that says it offers "zero day protection"

Your take on a program that says it offers "zero day protection"

This quote came from www.novatix.com.

It even protects when the latest virus definition files have not yet been updated or when your anti-virus solution is unable to handle the specific threat—especially important in the first few hours of a new virus outbreak. RedWall enables users to quickly and securely preview the contents of any file and attachment. If the file is legitimate, it may be opened and edited as usual. If, however, a suspicious file appears, the user can safely delete the malicious file and avert any potential threat.

Has anyone used it or does someone have an answer to my question below?

But how am I and other average sort-of-intermediate-level computer owners supposed to know what to look for once Redwall lets me view a file. Wouldn't I have to be quite familiar with programming and how virus writers operate? I would think so. So is the program only good for those in the know?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Sorry. I have no knowledge of this one.

Curio?

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease, this looks like one of those cases.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Rik and Curio:

Appreciate your responses. But would you each have a go at the question in my last paragraph? I feel that would be helpful to me. Your answers wouldn't have to be JUST in relationship to the particular program I referred to but to such programs in general.
    wumply

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Your first paragraph answers the last paragraph:

RedWall enables users to quickly and securely preview the contents of any file and attachment. If the file is legitimate, it may be opened and edited as usual. If, however, a suspicious file appears, the user can safely delete the malicious file and avert any potential threat.
    In other words RedWall will inform you whether it is malicious or not.
    Last edited by Reverend; August 3rd, 2005 at 21:25 PM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    In response to your last question, it would seem that if the file you are questioning is a zip or rar file (meaning a compressed file created either using Winzip or Winrar), You would be able to see what the files within that .zip or .rar were. Same as with an attachment. Now you might not be able to definitively know if the files are malicious or not but with some good googling could probably make a well educated guess.

rik...'googling' ???

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    rik...'googling' ???
    Using Google to search for answers.

As you can already see from the amount of effort you need to put into the research it appears to be a cure worse than disease situation. Many of the networks I deal with have lots of email and surfing going on but with Squid/Squidguard proxying the net and filtering content and with antivirus solutions squashing email bugs I don't really have any big problems, I can't remember the last time one of them had a virus outbreak.

The solutions that we already have are the right ones if used correctly and if users are educated and accounts limited. There will always be a level of paranoia which means people will go for anything which promises to completely eradicate malware, there is only one solution I know that can deliver that promise - it's called Backups.

@rev - if redwall is going to tell you whether it's malicious then why would you have to review it at all?
    Last edited by Curio; August 4th, 2005 at 19:16 PM.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    @rev - if redwall is going to tell you whether it's malicious then why would you have to review it at all?
    Valid point,but hey,I didn't write the software.

I suppose it all depends on the level of the scan sensitivity.

As you know,some AV's are over protective and presumably the review option gives the user the choice to open fully or not.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

I think the software acts like a sandbox and you can look at the downloaded stuff and see what it would do. It isn't an AV as AV's require signatures to detect threats and don't need reviewing. By definition you can't have a signature for a 0-Day threat, what it boils down to is sandboxing.

However - I don't have the application, just seen similar claims many times before.

Curio: would you tell me what "sandboxing" is--I've not run into the term?

Sandboxing is when a program is run inside a secure area which cannot affect the system , any changes made are only made inside the sandbox and disappear when the sandbox is shut down. A freeware program that does this type of thing for general browsing is SandboxIE - take a look at http://www.sandboxie.com/ which will explain the process used.