Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Options re a good video card

Options re a good video card

Hi:

Don't have a video card per se--that function is built in to my motherboard. But now that I have downloaded that FASCINATING INCREDIBLE program called GoogleEarth

AND

having discovered that the pictures I see of myself and of my son using a very good videochat program are not reproducing colors as accurately as my son's computer, I am getting antsy for a GOOD video card I can snap into my AGP slot.

So, would some of the readers of this post give me their take on cards they'd recommend? I don't feel I need the cadillac of video cards but I do want something that will net me a considerable improvement.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    it is best to post a budget

some cards are $50 while others are $500

off of the budget you will get the best card for your price range.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

In response to Egghead's point about budget, let's say $100..$150 max. Could I expect that price range to make a sigrnificant difference from my current situation (see initial post.) I figure responses will certainly involve some subjectivity.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    here are couple of links for good value cards in your price range.

http://www.targetpcinc.com/Details.a...mID=2951&Res=2

http://www.imagestore.us/product.asp...DGFX5600%2D256

http://www.logicalplus.com/bfggefx59oc1.html

all good cards....hope this helps...u can view more at www.pricewatch.com:)

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    wumply I don't think you play games on your PC, is that correct ? if so then you don't need a gaming card. Even a low to middle of the road gaming card isn't going to make a difference in general computing, that includes "GoogleEarth"

This is a real good card for general computing http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102404 It has good 2D and 3D for GoogleEarth and the computer games like the kind that come with M$. It's also fine for older PC games and might get by with some newer games @800x600 res.

Another one with good spec's for general PC'n http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814149002

This card would be a little better for games but I don't know how good the DAC (digital analog converters) are for 2D & 3D, it still should be better than what you have now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814145076

This card has excellent 2D & 3D, great for movies and can play any PC game, even up to 1600x1200 res (haven't tried Battlefield 2 ) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102286

wumply I notice even in the past you keep saying your PC doesn't look as good as your sons. Do you both have the same monitor ? both running at the same resolution ?
    Last edited by FastGame; August 4th, 2005 at 15:16 PM.

I agree with Fast Game. If you are not a gamer, the only things you gain with upper tier cards are bragging rights. You will not be able to perceive any difference on you monitor, just an emptiness in your wallet.

Any of the cards FG suggested should give you great performance.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

OK. you're correct that I don't play games. And no, my son and I have different monitors. Mine is a Gateway 2000 CRT (EV700) made for Gateway in 1997 by whom I don't know. My son has an LCD monitor. Both are 15" though I was using an 800 x 600 resolution and Bruce a 1024 x 768 on both his CRT and his Flat Panel. (The latter, he says, provides much more accurate color rendition but not greater sharpness.) It's a Viewsonic VX500 from about the year 2000, no longer made) His video card is a ATI Radeon 9559 with 256 MB memory.

I'm getting an impression that upgrading my monitor would go a long way towards improving accuracy of color rendition. Yes? WOULD YOU EXPECT IT TO IMPROVE SHARPNESS NOTICEABLY AS WELL? (These questions assume using one of the general computing cards Fastgame suggested as well.)

I think what I should do is first replace the onboard video with one of Fastgame's suggestions and if not satisfied with whatever improvement that brings, upgrade my monitor, probably with an LCD as I'm not into games. Make sense?

Question: Exactly what DOES a gaming card DO that a "general PC-ing" card doesn't?

I'm getting an impression that upgrading my monitor would go a long way towards improving accuracy of color rendition. Yes? WOULD YOU EXPECT IT TO IMPROVE SHARPNESS NOTICEABLY AS WELL?
    Yes thats going to be your best bet, your monitor is getting old and 800x600 is never going to be pretty.

IMHO you should get one of the first two GFX cards I linked to, one is what your son has. Then you should get a 19" LCD that runs at 1280x1024 resolution.

LCD has come a long way in the past year or two, your eye's will thank you

Question: Exactly what DOES a gaming card DO that a "general PC-ing" card doesn't?
    It processes more 3D graphics and faster, and applies filter techniques to improve the looks of graphics in games.
    Last edited by FastGame; August 4th, 2005 at 19:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    Modern 1st person -3d games challenge the PC more than any other software that you will run on it. To enjoy smooth, vibrant performance, you need a balance among CPU, memory (which needs to be matched to your MB and CPU) and video card. The CPU needs to be fast enough to handle the processing of the movement, sound and action that appears on the screen. The video card provides the 3d rendering and complex textures that have become routine in modern games. The message here is that simply upgrading a video card may not do much for your gaming experience if the CPU and amount and type of memory are inadequate to handle a particular game.

Most of the older cards commonly available were once the best around. They were the gamer's choice. Card manufacturers have become the pace setters for the modern game capable PC. There is a new model every 90 days.

As a non-gamer, I have no need for the expensive video cards that are available today. I have two computers in front of me, both have 64MB cards. I have seen ads for this type card recently for $9.99 after rebate. You can easily find them for $20. It will handle anything that I will throw at it. And yes it does a good job with Google Earth and streaming video.

If you are not a gamer, put the money saved in a faster CPU, more memory or a better monitor.

Re the 19" LCD running at 1280 x 1084: desktop icons and their names are horribly small on my 15" monitor setting of course. Will they appear significantly bigger (especially the printed names under the icons on the 19"?

Am planning on getting the video card you recommended and that my son has...probably today...to start the improvement. I find that I can read this print comfortably at 27" from my eyes with an 800 x 600 setting, but it becomes harder to read at 1024 x 768, even at 23.5". It's definitely readable at the higher setting but just harder. So I may settle for a 15" LCD monitor set at 800 x 600 for geneeral use and switch to higher settings for Google Earth. And save a few bucks.

And I notice some monitors come with digital and analog outputs. Do you feel having the digital output (re sharpness and accurate color) is worth the extra cost? What are you using...what 16" LCD monitors do you recommend or like?

The best way to judge a monitor is to see it in action. Go to a large retailer, like Best Buy and closely examine the one you are interested in. Choose the one that looks best to you and fits your budget.

You can change Icon size in Desktop properties. Right Click on a blank spot on the desktop and choose properties. Select Appearance tab then Advanced button. Select and change icon size under "item".

The best way to judge a monitor is to see it in action. Go to a large retailer, like Best Buy and closely examine the one you are interested in. Choose the one that looks best to you and fits your budget.
    Thats real good advice

wumply your problem is your monitor, its old and too small (15") 1280x1024 on a 15'' is real small, don't think I could see it On a 19" monitor it gets stretched out and bigger, you can see it 1280x1024 is smaller on a 17" than a 19"

LCD's look their best at their native resolution, they're not like CRT's. When you scale the resolution down on an LCD they start to look crummy, some scale down better than others.

Most 17" LCD's are 1280x1024 as are most 19" The 17" looks a little sharper because they have more pixels in a smaller area. The 19's are still plenty sharp !

If you have a problem with "small" then you need to look for a 17" LCD with 1024x768 native resolution, or 19" with 1280x1024. IMO your eyes will adjust in a week or so and you won't think small is small any more

Another advantage of LCD over CRT is one thats seldom mentioned, I think its the most important advantage ! "Geometry" LCD's have what you could call perfect geometry, no more pin cushion, tilt and all that crap.

BTW before anyone mistakes me as a LCD fanboy...I might be in all areas except two...games and fast paced movies. There's still no LCD that can match a high end CRT.

My thanks to Fastgame, Piper and efc for your helpful and USEFUL answers. I know more now, a new videocard is on its way to me, and after I see how that works, I'll decide on a new monitor. wumply.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    If you are looking for a good LCD monitor:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...8111&CatId=170

That is a superb deal.
    Exquisite Viewing
    FujiPlus 19-inch LCD Monitor
    FujiPlus International’s elegant Model FP-988D TFT display features an ultra-thin bezel, 0.264 pixel pitch, 1280 x 1024 resolution, 80MHz max pixel rate, 600:1 typical contrast, 250 cd/ m2 brightness and 12ms response time. You'll enjoy strikingly realistic graphics and easy to read text on this FujiPlus' exquisite 19-inch screen. Superior quality at an incredibly low price.

Specifications

Display Type TFT Active Matrix LCD

Viewable Screen Size 19 inches

Pixel Pitch 0.264 mm x 0.264 mm

Display Area 310.056 mm x 376.32 mm

Contrast Ratio 600:1

Response Time 12 ms

Maximum Resolution 1280 x 1024 @ 80 Hz

All that monitor for $249.00 after rebates.... amazing. I paid over $900 for mine 2 years ago....

Man, you tempt me! Would like your input on 1 question, though. I've been using a CRT 15" monitor for years at 800 x 600. And I find I read the print size I am using to type this post easily at a distance (measured) of 27" from my eyes. BUT on the 1280 x 1024 monitor you suggest can you give me an idea from your experience with a 19" LCD monitor how this print size will appear on such a monitor. I realize there's some subjectivity here so let me ask this: would you say the print size of the 19" FujiPlus FP9882 would appear the same size, slightly or a lot smaller--or even larger?

wumply