Thread: Knackered PC: AAARGH!!

Knackered PC: AAARGH!!

Just as I thought I'd got my 2 PCs working with Win2000 from clean installs, I decided to try and improve the hardware configs...

I initially had a Duron750 Machine with a single 133MHz 128Mb DIMM on a EP-8KTA+ motherboard (using Via KT133 AGP chipset & AWARD bios), and a PIII 800 DELL workstation (a GX110) with two 256 DIMMs.
    I thought "128Mb is a bit low for Win2K and 512MB is a fair bit, so I'll try and even it up". First I put one DELL DIMM into the other machine but it continued to report only 128Mb. Then I switched the original 128 for a 256, but it didn't start - I got a repeated beep every 3 seconds or so but nothing on screen. I replaced the original DIMM and went into the bios, changing some memory settings to try and get the 256 to work. But to my horror, after this none of the DIMMs will work, even the original one! I have only the single repeated beep to go on which must be telling me of a RAM problem (duh!). I pried out the bios battery hoping it would reset the bios setting but no change. I moved the 'reset bios' jumper to the ON position and still no change - I'm stuck totally with this PC. All the DIMMs are still functioning though when tested in the DELL machine so I've not fried them!

All my data is on the HD of this PC (a Maxtor 20GB), so I decided to plug this drive into the DELL PC and carry on working - thinking I'd just switch the drives and it'll work. But no...
    Windows 2000 sarts booting, I even get the pretty Windows logo onscreen. But just as it's about to go to the windows desktop part of startup I get a blue screen with "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". I can't understand how windows can begin to boot (the DELL bios correctly sees the disk) but not work properly. I'm atempting to now keep the DELL's HD as the boot drive and have my other disk as a slave so I can access it but who knows if it'll work....

Can anyone help with either of these problems - Getting my original PC to work, or getting the DELL to recognise the Maxtor HD? All my work is on this disk and I need to BE working so what can I do?

Thanks for your time reading my tale of woe...

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    The HD isn't going to work because it has different chipset drivers and hardware config. Intel vs AMD

Put everything back the way it was, pull the MB battery on the one with the ram problem, if your board has the jumper for clearing the CMOS use that also. Put battery back in and try again.

just for your info..ice come across some mobo'd that take hours and days to reset after pulling the battery..just something to consider.
    AMD64 3800+ w/stock HSF | 2 x PowMax dual fan 550Watt | Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI | GeIL 512MB DDR400 PC3200 Ultra Series Dual Channel Memory | 2 x EVGA 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E on SLI setup | Thermaltake Tsunami Case w/120mm

just for your info..ice come across some mobo'd that take hours and days to reset after pulling the battery
    Any time you work on the inside of you PC you should pull the power plug, then hit the start switch, this will discharge the MB capacitors.

Just some added info that might help
    Last edited by FastGame; August 8th, 2005 at 00:15 AM.

i know this..but ive seen it still happen.
    AMD64 3800+ w/stock HSF | 2 x PowMax dual fan 550Watt | Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI | GeIL 512MB DDR400 PC3200 Ultra Series Dual Channel Memory | 2 x EVGA 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E on SLI setup | Thermaltake Tsunami Case w/120mm

When you move the HDD to the new machine you then have to do a repair install on the OS because the 32bit drivers for the chipset are wrong. Boot to the w2k disk choose install at the first prompt then when it comes to the install it will search for existing installations and find yours, you can then choose to repair it (in place install) which will update the drivers to match the hardware.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Thanks for that Curio - I'm surprised I've not come across that before though. Ive actaully managed to get both HDs in the DELL system now (the HD from the other PC is now D: so doesn't get booted from.

So I'm just stuck getting the original PC to work. I took the battery out but that made no difference. I moved the 'reset bios' jumper to the 'enabled' setting, this seems to prevent the PC from being turned on at all - no fans turn or anything - is this normal? When I put the jumper back in normal position things returned to previous state ie repeated single beep, nothing on-screen. All the DIMMs do still work so unless I killed the motherboard it must be a setting issue - maybe I'll take out the battery overnight. Can I start the PC without the BIOS battery in?

Thanks guys.

moved the 'reset bios' jumper to the 'enabled' setting, this seems to prevent the PC from being turned on at all - no fans turn or anything - is this normal?
    You only leave the jumper in that position for a minute or two so the CMOS clears, move it back to original position before you put battery back or try to start PC.

Can I start the PC without the BIOS battery in?
    No, why do you want to do that ?

Oh I see, I didn't realise the jumper and battery worked in conjunction like that. I'll take out the battery and put the jumper in 'reset' mode and have a cup of tea before putting the jumper back and replacing the battery.

Fingers crossed, eh?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hi

the older pc's using sd ram for some reason are very picky about ram (example - ibm pc's, the ones in all the schools. the p2 300mhz ones)

anyway

it is highly unlikely that you could burn any ram out no matter what settings you chose on the older machine.

use only the original ram at this moment.

You say the ram was in the computer at the time you went to the bios. and the video was working fine at that time.

The only thing that comes to mind is the possibility that your computer has 2 video sources. onboard and a card.

if this is the case then you must remove the monitor cable and place it on the onboard video connector and see what happens

good luck
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Just to let you all know I not only got it working with the original RAM, but managed to put an extra one in as well, giving me one 256Mb Pc and one 384Mb PC - exactly waht I wanted! It turned out all I had to do was reset teh bios and it would accept the memory; the only tiny glitch is that I'm now limited to 100MHz since one stick is of that speed. For some reason, I now have 1 128MHz, 1 125MHz & 1 100MHz DIMM. But I'm certainly not noticing a speed drop after trebling the RAM in my original PC! (and halving the 512Mb in the other one makes no difference either)

Thanks to everyone who helped.