Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux or Windows?

Banned

Linux or Windows?

I wasnt too sure were to post this thread but anyways i'll just post it here cuz its abt linux and linux isnt a software but mor of an os. Soo ya.

Hey I was just wondering, sooo much peopolz said that linux is way better then Windows but why? On top i think that linux is alot harder to use then windows so why soo much peoples luv linux what is soo gud in it?? I once asked my friend and he told me << you can do alot more stuff in a linux OS then a plain windows>> And I was like whuh...

So I really need someone to explain me how it works, why do peoples luv it soo much and why its worth getting linux then windows.
    Seriously linux is not my type! cuz once I tried to install Gentoo and believe me my pc ended up with a MBR ERROR, and I had to reformat my hole pc cuz I did not get the windows cd when I bought my pc.

And if you could please send me a file where someone is using a linux version and is recording his screen, like that i will have a little Idea of the Linux OS using method.

Thx!

The people that "love linux" don't so much love linux as hate Bill Gate's computer dominance. Wether you can do more in Linux then on Windows.. Iam not sure about that. I tried installing Red Hat once on my PC. I got there in the end after swapping discs over and fighting with a rubbish screen res etc. I wanted to try and download new files onto it. You know just the usual third party stuff that you could easily do 5 million times a day on Windows by going to download.com or somthing like that. But with Linux it appears to be a lot harder. For a start there is somthing called RPM (I think???) and it seems to list every single thing you can download. Now for a new user this is totally confusing.
    So I think the reason more people use Windows is that it is a hell-of-a-lot more user friendly. Linus just isn't there yet. As a quote said that I heard ages ago.
    "Unix is user friendly. Its just very choosy about who it's friends are."
    If you are a Windows person and want to get into Linux, I would advise playing around with Knoppix (live) and then maybe going onto installing a version of linux on a partition. But to move completly from Windows to Linux is almost suicidal...

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jether
    So I think the reason more people use Windows is that it is a hell-of-a-lot more user friendly. Linus just isn't there yet. As a quote said that I heard ages ago.
    "Unix is user friendly. Its just very choosy about who it's friends are."

To me this is very true. Most linux distros you really have to "want" to learn.

I have never actually tryed Linux as of yet,I have used Linspire and Slax Linux which are somewhat closer to windows.Mainly because I have never had any major problems using windows and i think it would be a major pain if not impossible to find all the various software i use on linux.

One day i will probally give Red Hat a go but switching totally to Linux is highly doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant
    I have never actually tryed Linux as of yet,I have used Linspire and Slax Linux.
    Correct me If Iam wrong but that is a contradition in one sentence

I think where Linux is lacking is the amount of people that are willing to create third party user friendly applications for it. Most people that will use Linux will probably be software engineers or at least someone who knows what they're doing, so if they want somthing done they go code it themeselves. Linux is very different to Windows and I don't see a lot of desktop users changing over yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jether
    But to move completly from Windows to Linux is almost suicidal...
    What???
    I started using Linux when I was at university about 5/6 years ago and now I've only Linux running on my home PCs.
    Linux costs nothing, there are thousands of free applications, it's almost without virus, it's more flexible than Windows and it'is really good especially if you're a programmer.
    If you don't find a Linux porting of your Win applications, you can use emulators like Wine.

Linux is not user friendly, it's just selective about its friends.
    Last edited by carloc; September 4th, 2005 at 10:14 AM.

Platinum+ Member
    I think the reason people use Linux is because it is more secure than windows and doesnt crash as often as well as its free [mostly].
    The drawback is that it takes some getting used to and you will have to give up most of your games. Otherwise there is software available for Linux as well and it is mostly free as well.

If you want a serious, no nonsense OS that doesnt crash, is reliable and does what it was means to do, Linux is good. Shifting to Linux isnt suicidal - Linux has its problems, but dont underestimate the number of problems Windows brings with its mass appeal...

If Linux is giving you trouble (because its unfamiliar), thats what TZ is here for. Just look up and you'll see the sky is full of stars
    Last edited by tarun; September 4th, 2005 at 10:24 AM. Reason: typo (or is it type-o?)

Thats very true about no viruses and thats a good plus about Linux. What course did you do at Uni? As I said, Linux is different to Windows and I think that you'll have to agree that to the normal home user Windows would be the better choice AT THE MOMENT. Iam all for Linux belive me. I love running the live versions but I found red hat not user friendly enough for me. And I don't want to be too big headed here but I belive I can use computers to a very large extent, I can use programs fluently even though I havn't used them before. But i just found red hat too difficult to navigate and to get programs. Sure you can use Wine but the only few times I used Wine on Knoppix I got error messages and thats stupid cause they were tiny programs that I had written myself. They only had a few lines of code and they work perfectly in Windows.
    Belive me, Iam all for Linux but I don't think its ready yet. Thats my point.
    And thanks for the correction with the quote now iam late for work... cya all.

Sorry Jether but I noticed your post only now
    I started using Linux (Mandrake and Slackware) some years ago when I was a student of engineering, I continued using it for a couple of years when I worked as IC-designer and now I have two linux machine at home.

In my prev post I haven't said that Linux is absolutely the best OS in the world but just that moving completly from Windows to Linux is NOT suicidal...
    and I'm agree with you that most of distros are not ready out-of-the-box for newbies or for some particular tasks.
    But I think that there are several good reasons for choosing Linux instead of Windows.
    The love for FREE software and the fact that I don't like that my life can depend on Bill's products are enough for switching away from Win.
    I know, there are some kind of problems with Linux. For me one of the most important is that a distro can be VERY different from another one but developers are making big steps in the right direction (see Linux Standard Base project).

And just to contradict to me...
    I use WinXP at work now...
    ...but it not depends on me

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    If you grow up learning how to ride a horse, and you get damn good at riding that horse, so that it feels natural to you, and then suddenly you decide to drop the horse, and get on the bull and ride it the same way you did the horse, you're in for a rude awakening.

Sure they look similar. They have 4 legs, they have long back, ears, eyes, etc... but they are totally different animals.

It takes practice to ride a bull and lots of effort. Now imagine windows is the horse and linux is the bull.

ANALOGY OVER

I have used Linux on and off for the past 5-7 years. I think I first started seriously with Mandrake, then Red Hat, then Xandros, and finally of late Ubuntu. I have yet to try SUSE, GENTOO, etc...

I think Linux compared to Windows, strictly at Cost of the two OSes, is a no brainer... Linux is a much better deal.

Compared to "ease of use" well it could go either way, depending on the OS, distro, and so on..

Current software offerings are limited because software makers are biased toward windows. That is why you don't see a large majority of commerical software for sale on the Linux platform.

And hardware support has come a long way in Linux. IN fact all of my hardware is supported (though some extra features are lacking due to lack of support for drivers from the manufacturers)... Linux cannot be blamed for that...

Some areas where Linux is lacking is hardware and software installations and removal, as well as upgrading... Updating the OS ( though recently with apget this has gotten quite simple), driver installs and uninstalls as well as upgrades are also kind of strange.

I think if you learned linux from the time you were a kid until today, you'd look at windows as something difficult and strange... it's all relative to what you were used to doing. Trying something new will always seem strange or difficult, until you get into the routine of using it regularly.

Just my two shakes of the dong on the Linux topic.

Nice comment BB.

Here is my reason why you should start using Linux. Linux is more mature and robust today than the PC was when Windows 3.0 was released. At that time, users migrated from the DOS command prompt to the new easy interface that allowed the non-technical person to load and run software.

Those of us that grew up with the C:/ prompt could do everything that the new user was doing with Windows. We often accomplished tasks faster since processing time was not wasted on the GUI. The problem was that new users could not sit down at our computer and make it work. They could on a computer that ran on Windows.

I believe that Linux is at a level of development comparable to Windows 98. It is probably already too late to expect people to go back and learn complicated command prompt operation of a linux platform. And there is probably, little need for them to do so.

Most of the developing world is going to linux for costs reasons. That segment of the computing community will grow much faster than the U.S., UK and other areas that have had strong computer growth in the past. I want remain a participant with those users. I would still argue that all serious computer users that do anything other than play games should set up an old computer (those that we used to throw away after an upgrade) with linux. Use it as a learning platform. Experiment, break it, fix it and then do it all over again. By the time linux has evolved to XP levels, we should be proficient with it.

I have mentioned before that I do not intend to buy Vista when it is released next year. XP is my last Windows product.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Do i detect subtle canvassing for the implementation of a Linux forum here at TZ.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Yes.

Subtle, it was not intended to be subtle.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    ... I want remain a participant with those users. I would still argue that all serious computer users that do anything other than play games should set up an old computer (those that we used to throw away after an upgrade) with linux. Use it as a learning platform. Experiment, break it, fix it and then do it all over again. By the time linux has evolved to XP levels, we should be proficient with it.
    I'm totally agree with you
    I've just re-activate my old PII-350MHz last week with the latest Slackware... and it simply works! I can do a lot of things like surfing the net, listen music, writing pdf documents, etc without spending money for another Windows license. With such an old hardware I obviously have to renounce some of the most advanced graphical stuffs like the latest KDE but Xfce is good enough for the normal use.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    Do i detect subtle canvassing for the implementation of a Linux forum here at TZ.
    You should move too much topics

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    I don't have a problem with a dedicated Linux forum,but bear in mind a Linux forum is worthless unless we have enough knowledgeable members to answer any technical questions. We won't accomodate a Linux forum just for discussion purposes.

I know a lot of you are running Linux,but do you have sufficient experience regarding the technical side of it? We don't want a forum full of unanswered threads.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========