Thread: Install OSX Tiger on Intel Boxes without Linux using only Windows software

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Thumbs up Install OSX Tiger on Intel Boxes without Linux using only Windows software

Good tutorial describing the quickest and easiest way to install osx onto your intel machine. This uses free windows software only... and does not require a virtual machine nor any linux/unix installation.

Thought I would copy the instructions here in case the site goes down:

Description
    Many of the guides for installing OSX Tiger are complicated and use linux. You can install OSX using public-domain free windows only tools.

Directions
    If you wish to install OSX tiger to your intel machine or usb drive, you can follow these few steps. Be careful because you can kill your hard drive if you are not careful.

You will need either a seperate hard drive (seperate partition will not do) or an external hard drive. Whatever extra hard drive you use will be completely replaced by osx and you will lose all information on that drive.

1. Authorized users should obtain the OSX files from Apple. It is illegal to obtain them from torrent sites by searching under the following keywords: "VMWare files for patched Mac OS X Tiger Intel"
    2. Unrar these files to the root of your C: drive
    3. Download Forensic Acquisition Utilities
    4. Unzip these files and copy dd.exe to the root of c: drive as well

Note: the dd.exe program is used to write the image to your spare hard drive or external hard drive. The command is the following:

dd if=c:\tiger-x86-flat.img of=\\.\PhysicalDriveSomething

PhysicalDriveSomething should be replaced with your real physicaldrive (PhysicalDrive1, PhysicalDrive2, etc.). What your hard drives or usb drives are labelled is not always obvious. So I use WMI to figure this out. If you don't need it, don't get it. It's free... and it may prevent you from killing your wrong hard drive.

5. Download WMI Tools from Microsoft
    6. Open WMI Browser Object
    7. Allow block content and click the OKs until it loads
    8. Select Win32_SystemPartitions.PartComponent in the left column
    9. In the right column right-click on the drive device id (Disk #0, Partition #0, etc) and select Go to Object
    10. The device window will open and click the associations tab
    11. Exploring with this tool you should be able to match drive letters (Win32_LogicalDisk.DeviceID="C:") to each physicaldisk reference (Win32_DiskDrive.DeviceID="\\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE0")

Click for larger version:

12. Now that you know the physicaldrive label for your extra internal or external drive, you can drop to the root of your c: drive and run the command. Be sure to replace the physicaldrive text with the physical drive you determined above. If you use the wrong one, you will erase your primary hard drive.

dd if=c:\tiger-x86-flat.img of=\\.\PhysicalDrive

13. The command will appear to hang but you will notice your extra harddrive cranking away. It's going to do this for 15min to hours. Just let it run.
    14. Once it is done, reboot and set the osx drive to your boot drive through your bios.
    15. If your hardware is compatable, you should boot to OSX.
    Source: OSX on Windows

Take a look there studs & studettes of TZ. Boo-ya.

I have everything up and working, network, Internet, Video, all applications. ETc...

I don't have sound thanks to SBLive and Mac

But for just using it now I think this could be a daily OS. It boots in under 20 seconds, and this is on an old P4 SSE2 chip with 768MB PC800 Rambus, etc...

I am really impressed. Visually it blows Windows out of the water. Now if I could just get sound working... ???

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    So as far as doing work how much different is it than Windows ?

Imagine getting into a 2005 C6 V8 Chevy Corvette *windows, and then imagine hopping in your cousings 2005 F50 Ferrari.

I can tell that apple have polished the OS and made it as friendly as they can. The look is apple, the feel is apple. And the big kicker is you can run it on INTEL & some AMD hardware now LOL
    The OS is much like windows, but you find yourself using the dock as if it were second nature. Now the tool bar at the top takes some getting used to. I find I use finder quite a bit, and for system tweaks, System Preferences takes over where control panel left off.

I find the selection of tools that comes preinstalled amazing. I mean Safari is a very nice browser. Compared to IE, it blows it away. I still find, and I am going to kick myself in the balls for saying this, but I like WMP better than Quicktime. Quicktime just isn't as robust as it should be. But OSX does come with a native DVD player which in my case doesn't quite play DVDs... but we'll see if some tweaking cannot resolve that.

Since you can install Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office on OSX I don't see the real advantage that windows has over apple... in fact it's quite the opposite. IF this becomes the standard and apple releases OSX mainstream for all who have intel boxes, I forsee a dark future in the world of windows.... really dark... but what is scarier is Linux might take the full brunt of it... but I can't slag off Linux. My last brush with Xandros left me impressed. And ubuntu looks stunning.

If you get a chance and want a change from the hum drum of Windows, OSX is a nice way to get you feet wet.