Thread: Firefox misbehaving!!!

Firefox misbehaving!!!

I've Version 1.06.

I get a lot of slow loading of a page. Or I click on FF on desktop and it takes forever or the progress bar loads with green rectangles 1/2 way and sits there. If I'm trying to get to a particular page on a site, I oflten get a "Timed out" message or "This document contains no data."

But often in these situations I close out of the page or FF and start all over again a few seconds later, things work just fine. Or sometimes I've no problem at all from the first try. Off again--on again behavior.

Also I notice this line in the taskbar - sometimes - It's one I don't recall seeing there before. It occurs when I've clicked on my Techzonez bookmark--can't say if it appears every time or not--don't remember. Is this normal. It says: "Waiting for adsvradknowledge.com"; then things work or time out. What is that site...a normal part of Techzonez?

And should I not be able to back out of a page partly loaded by going back one page and click on the same link as before? It seems to me I used to do that all the time. I suppose it's BEST to wait, but lately the loading bar (green rectangles) has been taking 15-40 seconds to load (if it loads and doesn't get stuck 1/2 way or on occasion at 95%.) It's not the internet, I fear, as this behavior occurs off and on day and night.

I did lose my bookmarks recently because I did an unthinking click. I got lthem all re-entered though. There was some msg about my profile. Could some part of it be screwed up?

Can someone help?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

OK. When I first clicked on "submit" I got "Waiting for Techzonez.com" but no loading occurred. I had an arrow and hourglass. I waited a full 60"...nothing happened. I highlit and (to copy my letter in case I lost it) and got "This document has no data." The the highlighting disappeared all by itself. I hi-lit again, clicked edit > copy, saved it in Word and then clicked "submit" again. And it got submitted in a flash. Go figure!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Are you using avast! WebShield ? if so disable it and see if things change.

BTW I think this Firefox 1.06 is the most bug filled version ever !

No, not using AVAST. Was waiting till my NAV license expires at end of Feb. 06. Probably should change now though. This morning (8/18/05) when I booted up I got a "The function you are trying to use cannot be addessed at this time" msg and ICQ would not start. My Eudora email could not connect (error getting network address for pop.metrocast.net. Cause requested entry not found (11004). But I was able to get to The Hunger site--no problem. Then I closed ICQ (it still hadn't connected), got my email without a hitch, and ICQ started up just fine. It is frustrating and I want to smash my computer!!!!!

I'm also not getting email notifications of responses to Techzonez initial posts.

It is frustrating and I want to smash my computer!!!!!
    C'mon wumply, hang in there

Can you post a screen shot of MSCONFIG startup programs and Taskmanager Processes ?

Looked into sending you a screen shot of startup and Taskmanager processes. Would have to send you 2 screenshots of each--there are quite a few programs. I checked different monitor size settings but that still meant 2 shots of each.

Re the MSCONFIG do you need Startup Item, the Command and the location or will just the items (i.e. programs) suffice.? If so I will type you a list.

Re the task Manager Processes...again, do you need Image name, User Name, CPU and Memory Usage or will the Image Name suffice? If the latter, I can type you a list.

I tried doing a Print Screen and a paste into Word but the result was blurry so I fear going this route will only end in your getting a blurred copy.

How long will you be around today?

BTW, everything is suddenly working just fine...currently! Let us hope it continues.

Using System Restore is becoming a somewhat enticing option.

Would have to send you 2 screenshots of each--there are quite a few programs.
    Yeah thats what I thought, its the reason I want you too do this

Pull up MSCONFIG (Startup tab) and Taskmam (processes) and hit print screen, then paste it in M$ Paint and save as JPEG. You can host it and post the link or you can email it to me. I'm in & out all day and night

OK will get the info to you soon.

I've got 3 Paint files all ready to send to you--what's your email address?

got your email address. It is close to 12:40 PM EDT. Sending you the MSCONFIG and Process files immediately.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame

BTW I think this Firefox 1.06 is the most bug filled version ever !
    No bugs for me as long as you uninstall the previous versions before installing the new one.

Conan--do you do always uninstall all previous programs (including all browsers) and everything before you install new ones? Or just browsers? Or do let some stand?

wumply I just got your email, my ISP installed a new server and mail was down

Man-o-Man you got a lot of stuff in startup, and 41 processes running

In the morning I'll post everything you need to disable from Windows startup, it should really help cut down on problems

Conan--do you do always uninstall all previous programs (including all browsers) and everything before you install new ones? Or just browsers? Or do let some stand?
    I always uninstall before doing a new program (including Firefox ), if its just a small update to a program I don't uninstall.

Looking forward to your forthcoming post. But it is interesting: all day yesterday and today thus far (it's 3:15 PM Friday), my comoputer has behaved perfectly. And I did nothing to change it. ????? Any theories as to what was going on?