Thread: wireles network question

wireles network question

hey guys,I am having a bit of difficulty with something im am trying to set up for a friend.Heres the deal.

She has a HP A705W pavillion i recently set up her virozon DSL accounts for her.Today she got herself a laptop which i set up to share here DSL connection wirelessly.Now i am attempted to set up a home network so she can share files and here printer connected to her desktop when using her laptop PC.I tryed both using the "Wireless network" and "home and small office" but neither ways seems to detect the other PC.Is it possible to do this or would i need a wireless network adapter in the desktop even though it's connected to the wireless router?

Thanks as always.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant
    hey guys,I am having a bit of difficulty with something im am trying to set up for a friend.Heres the deal.

She has a HP A705W pavillion i recently set up her virozon DSL accounts for her.Today she got herself a laptop which i set up to share here DSL connection wirelessly.Now i am attempted to set up a home network so she can share files and here printer connected to her desktop when using her laptop PC.I tryed both using the "Wireless network" and "home and small office" but neither ways seems to detect the other PC.Is it possible to do this or would i need a wireless network adapter in the desktop even though it's connected to the wireless router?

Thanks as always.

If the desktop is connected to the wireless device (router) and you have internet connections going from the desktop and laptop to the router, and then to the modem, setting up the file sharing is fairly straight forward.

Make sure they are both on the same workgroup. If not it won't work. Also make sure you have enabled file sharing on both computers.

I have a wireless laptop and a wired PC connected and can browse and share files as well as printers with both.

When I want to view a file, I click start, My Network Places, and then under Local Network two of the shared folders I have for each computer are listed.

If you don't see My Network Places listed on the start menu, you may have to right click it and customise the start menu to have My Network Places visible.

I don't know how your network is setup. If you could explain that with a little more detail, then it might be possible to help you further.

Hey Lynch,thanks foir the reply.

The way i have it setup is pretty simple.We have a combination DSL router/modem/wireless router all in one called a Westell versalink.

The router is connected directly to the dsktop PC via E1 port (there are four ports on the router E1,2,3,and 4) then i have the laptop connected to the wireless 802:11 wireless on the router.The internet works fine on both PC's but everytime i try using the "home or small office network setup" tool or the wireless network tool nothing shows up in the "my network places" folder.I think i may doing something wrong.I have file sharing enabled on both Computers as well.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1277381,00.asp

Have a gander at that article. And I am Big Booger, not Lynch.

Are they both under the same Workgroup name?

opps lmao sorry about that wasnt paying attention

Yep they are both under the same workgroup but i think the problem may be with the norton firewall.Didn't think about it at first but i disabled the firewalls and now it seems to be working so far.GOnna have to find a way to make the firewalls not block it out.norton firewalls can be a pain.

yeah firewalls can sometimes screw with your networking. YOu have go in and customize the settings to allow the traffic.

Yeah i always find norton to be the most of a pain to configure.But so far i think i got it.I have file sharing and printer sharing showing up on both desktop and laptop Pc's and internet is working on both thanks alot for the help.