Thread: question reguarding capturing images from a video playing in media player

question reguarding capturing images from a video playing in media player

Hey guys,I hope this would be the right place to post this.I'm having a problem.I want to capture screens shots from DVD movies playing in windows media player 10.however as everyone knows you cant not simply use the print screen key as it will not work right.I remember a long time ago someone told me a solution for this problem but since those many years ago i have forgoten.So any help would be appreciated

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    This should be fixed in future versions of windows... But you just have to disable Hardware Acceleration in your video card properties.

Alternatively you can use PowerDVD.. it includes a screenshot button.

And further you could use a 3rd part screen capture tool.

http://www.wisdom-soft.com/products/...unter_free.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    This should be fixed in future versions of windows... But you just have to disable Hardware Acceleration in your video card properties.

Alternatively you can use PowerDVD.. it includes a screenshot button.

And further you could use a 3rd part screen capture tool.

http://www.wisdom-soft.com/products/...unter_free.htm

does disabling hardware acceleration have ant negative effect?

for some reason my video playback in WMP10 went all weird recently enough and setting hardware acceleration to half sorted the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ferbert
    does disabling hardware acceleration have ant negative effect?

for some reason my video playback in WMP10 went all weird recently enough and setting hardware acceleration to half sorted the problem.
    I've not had an issue. ANd I am using the latest WMP 10. But it is possible. If you are going to be taking screenshots constantly, I think it is a good idea to invest in a third party solution. Disabling hardware acceleration is not recommended.

Thanks for the Info BB but the first option doesnt seem to work.When i disable hardware acceleration i can hear the soud from the DVD but nothing but a black screen comes up.So now im onto option 2,PowerDVD so that brings me to a question before i go and buy this software does it support playing of file types such as .vob,.avi,.mpg ect?Most important being .vob of course because thats the format DVD's use.

Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant
    Thanks for the Info BB but the first option doesnt seem to work.When i disable hardware acceleration i can hear the soud from the DVD but nothing but a black screen comes up.So now im onto option 2,PowerDVD so that brings me to a question before i go and buy this software does it support playing of file types such as .vob,.avi,.mpg ect?Most important being .vob of course because thats the format DVD's use.
    http://www.gocyberlink.com/multi/pro...e.jsp?ProdId=1

I use 6.0 Deluxe because it came with my DVD burner. It plays every file type you listed. YOu can play DVD files from your Hard drive in case you want to use your burner while you are watching a movie.
    Last edited by Big Booger; August 23rd, 2005 at 05:07 AM.