Thread: OSX X86 Tips & Tricks

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

OSX X86 Tips & Tricks

This is from:

But as they may take down that information unless it is hosted elsewhere, I thought I would mirror it here.

Tips And Tricks
    From OSx86
    Table of contents [showhide]
    1 Replace SSE3 with SSE2 Patch
    2 Fixing Browser Plug-in Issues
    3 Making Preview Display Correctly
    4 Deadmoo's password
    5 Console Login from within OSX
    6 Getting Safari to work
    7 Recover from application crashes
    8 Messing with the boot options
    9 Xcode and developer tools 2.2 preview 1
    10 Make the CTRL Key the COMMAND key

Replace SSE3 with SSE2 Patch

This will allow systems only capable of SSE2 to run SSE3 based code. This allows Rosetta to work and fixes some glitches on SSE3 based machines that do not work properly. Pulled from

Maxxuss v 0.4 : [1] (

Just download it and then:

1. Burn CD or simply mount it in your Mac OS X system

2. Open

3. Use "cd" command to get into the CD, e.g. "cd /Volumes/MAXXUSS0.4/"

4. Type "sudo ./"

5. Follow the instructions

6. Restart Mac OS X

7. Enjoy.

This fixes iTunes as well as Safari, it also fixes the fade out graphics glitch.

Fixing Browser Plug-in Issues

Some Intel-based browsers, including Safari, have plug-in conflicts. Java and flash are among the plug-ins that seem to refuse to load. This is because all current browser plugins are designed for PowerPC-based browsers. Luckily, Safari has universal binaries to load with a PowerPC architecture rather than the default Intel architecture. Right click Safari's icon and choose "Get Info." Under the "General" pane, check "Open using Rosetta." As an alternative, you can use FireFox, which is still currently PowerPC-based, and it will load plug-ins fine. Note: There is a version of Deer Park that is not a universal binary, and is purely Intel in architecture, thus it will have plug-in issues until Mac Intel plug-ins are released.

Making Preview Display Correctly

Many have an issue where Preview displays only a grey background when trying to view a picture. Forcing it to run in Rosetta as a PowerPC application may help. Right click Preview's icon, and click "Get Info". On the pane that says "General", expand and check the box that says "Open using Rosetta." SSE3 or patched SSE2 is required. You should now be able to view your pictures without a problem.

Deadmoo's password

The password on the "Deadmoo" and "Curtis" account (they're the same, but called different things in different places) is " bovinity ". Once you log in as him you can go to the users panel and setup an account for you to use, change his password, etc.

Console Login from within OSX

This isn't so well known, but it's possible to 'leave' Aqua (The GUI) and drop back into pure Darwin. Handy when there's a need to do some low-level system hacking or testing out drivers. First you need a little tweak to your Login Panel:

System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Options -> Display Login windows as: "Name and Password"

Now when the Login Panel appears, enter >console for the username and a blank password... Welcome to Darwin! You'll have a text-based prompt for a login and password. Once logged in you can type exit to get returned to Aqua's Login Panel.

Getting Safari to work

If Safari crashes when you go to certain websites ( - for example), here's a quick fix to get it running. In your dock, right click the Safari icon, and click "Show in Finder". Finder will now popup with the Safari icon highlighted. Right click the Safari icon in finder, and click "Get Info". On the pane that opens up on the right, check the box that says "Open using Rosetta". Close the dialog, and run your Safari free of crashes!

Note: In order for this work you must either have a SSE3 chip or you must apply the mach_kernel and CoreGraphics patches located at The Archive.

Recover from application crashes

This may be common knowlege for Unix geeks, but for average Joe's this may be lifesaving information.

If a program crashes, you can kill it by right clicking it's dock icon and hitting "Force Quit". If that doesn't work, you can launch "Activity Monitor" and kill a crashing program from there. Just highlight the program that's going down and hit the quit icon, then hit "Force Quit". You can also press Ctrl+Alt+Escape, choose the application you want to quit and then press the button "Force Quit".

Very good for stopping a runaway Deer Park from taking the system with it as it spirals down...

Messing with the boot options

Tired of typing '-x "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@85" platform=ACPI|X86PC' every time you boot? This is for you!

Browse to
    and open it up in your text editor

You can add some switches in here to make your life a little bit sweeter...

To automatically use a certain graphics mode
    <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    Note: If your video card is using VESA 2.0 drivers, leave out the '@85' part as it only works on VESA 3.0 will cause the system to reset before getting anywhere.

If you need to specify a platform
    <string>ACPI</string> or <string>X86PC</string>

If you don't want to see the Darwin text on boot - HINT: You can get the prompt back by holding "ctl" at boot.
    <key>Quiet Boot</key>

To put in switchs (-v, -x, etc)
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>

Xcode and developer tools 2.2 preview 1

You can get Apple's Xcode and developer tools v2.2 preview 1 from Apple states that these will install on the developer transition kits (osx86). (Xcode 2.1 also works fine)

Don't install the CHUD tools package on v0.2 SSE2 patched kernels though (if it works or doesn't on any other patch versions please fix this). It seems to install a kernel extention that causes a panic during install and then again on startup. If you do install it by mistake you can boot up in safe mode and run the Utilities/ script on the dev tools image.

Make the CTRL Key the COMMAND key

I found that the ALT key on my keyboard works much like the CTRL key in windows. Pressing ALT-C and ALT-V was doing copy and past commands, and ALT-F would do a search in Firefox. I found that swapping the Mac's Command key with the Control key made life much easier.

Open the System Preferences and select Keyboard & Mouse under the hardware section. Next press the Modifier Keys button located at the bottom left. Now swap the Control and Commands keys.

OSX X86 Compatible Applications

A whole list of applications compatible with the X86 build of OSX. I've personally used Xbench, firefox, deer park, IE 5.0, and am about to give VLC a go.

I found that in Japanese, I cannot type in Kanji in a web browser... And I have tried 4 different browsers... it's perplexing. The Kanji work fine in a text editor, but as soon as I go to a web browser I can only type in Hiragana or Katakana... there is no Kanji switch... Which is usually the spacebar.

In Japanese you first type in Hirigana, and then use the spacebar to select which kanji you want it to change to using an IME.

Perhaps it is just my lack of knowledge with MAC.. we'll see.

Another link o OSX X86 compatible software.