Thread: Google Talk vs Skype

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Google Talk vs Skype

In case you didn't know that, Google Talk is now available for download here. It's dubbed as Google's next big thing, and it marks Google's entry into the large instant messaging market.

Skype, on the other hand has been on the market for a much longer time, and despite rivals like Voipbuster, Yahoo Messenger, Gizmoproject, it's still the most popular VOIP (voice over Internet Protocol) software, and it has set its roots well in Windows, Linux, MacOS and even PocketPC arenes.

Let's have some comparisons of the two.
    View: The Comparison

This is a very general overview of Skype and Google and comparing the two technologies. Obviously Skype has been in the game longer than google, and google has some serious catching up to do but it is looking promising for google, and Skype needs some serious competition to keep their software on the up and improving side.

This is a timely post. I have considered asking Reverend if it is possible to add Skype as an alternative to the IM packages that are identified under user icons. I use Skype and like it better than any of the other im or voice programs. It would be nice to connect to a member from the TZ page.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    This is a timely post. I have considered asking Reverend if it is possible to add Skype as an alternative to the IM packages that are identified under user icons. I use Skype and like it better than any of the other im or voice programs. It would be nice to connect to a member from the TZ page.
    That's a grand idea. I wonder if it is compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    That's a grand idea. I wonder if it is compatible?
    You and Reverend will have to figure that out.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

I tried Skype a few times but I generally use MSN for Audio chats. I downloaded Google Talk and it's a tiny file and installed with no problems. Audio is definately clearer than MSN but it's a vanilla type proggy, very simple features.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc
    I have considered asking Reverend if it is possible to add Skype as an alternative to the IM packages that are identified under user icons. I use Skype and like it better than any of the other im or voice programs. It would be nice to connect to a member from the TZ page.
    Just wanted to bump this by saying that Skype will be integrated into the next release of vbulletin (3.5.2).
    Last edited by Reverend; November 4th, 2005 at 21:08 PM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    Just wanted to bump this by saying that Skype will be integrated into the next release of vbulletin (3.5.2).
    That's a great feature. I know efc will be using it.