Thread: Wireless LAN party

Wireless LAN party

I work on a tanker and we have a crew with laptops who want to do some LAN gaming. We were thinking about getting a router and cables but then found out that the latest deal is to use Wi-Fi. It's less to deal with in our limited space.
    I think some of the guys have new machines with Wi-Fi cabability but a few of us are going to need adapters.
    We'll all be in the same room about 15 feet apart at the farthest. I found a page on how to set one up but what are possible pitfalls to avoid?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Wireless adapters for laptops (PCMCIA) are fairly cheap now, and have come down in price up to 10$ sometimes (after rebates)
    With wireless I have noticed a lot, that different brands of adapters and router might not playvery well when you use WAP and WEP.
    Since it is a work LAN it is very recomendable that you use some security, preferibly WAP (WEP is easy to crack).
    For the adapters if you have to buy, it will be good to get directly 801.11 g so you can take advantage of the 54mbps. If the laptops that already hjave 801.11 (Wi-fi) have the b version it will be ok, but will run slower. Your main concern and start will be to chose the router. We can recomend a couple, but it depends on the price that you want to pay, and how much reliability you need. Right now at my office we are using the Netgear Pre-N RangeMax, but to take advantage of all its features you have to get the RangeMax adapters too. We only have the router, and so far it is pretty good, and Centrino adapters (usually the wifi integrated on the laptops) connects with no problem.
    Next week, we are even going to move it outside to mount it in a pole to give internet coverage to a contruction site we have here (it will be a good test, since at work, we have lots of conditions that can create interferance)
    A wifi router also will come with at least 4 ports for wiring the PC, so you can connect PCs if the wifi is not working (or they don't have adapter)
    The rangeMax router sells in CompUSA for 129, and each notebook adapter for 99.
    I had a D-Link at home, and my sister with her centrino laptop had lots of problems getting an IP address, so I would recomend you not to use it, but that was on my experiences (experience vary according to enviroment)
    Linksys routers for g sell at 59.99, with the notebook adapters at 49.99, so as you can see it is half, but as a note to most people, Linksys is good, but I think they get too hot. The Netgear next to me is barely warm.
    Now, we had had the RangeMax for 4 or 5 months only, and it is Pre-N, meaning once the 801.11n gets aproved it might not work with other systems, unless netgear's version of 801.11n gets aproved (but it should work fine with b and g). They might release a firmware update.
    Conclusion, so far I like the RangeMax better, but it is difficult to recomend since we are just testing it. The linksys will be the next choice for me, but it gets hot, and after 6 to a year starts to fail (in the condicions and use we gave the routers).
    Ultimately, and unfortunately, one drawback of wi-fi is that it might work great for some, and not work at all for others. You might get an excellent router, or you might get a lemon. If you think the traffic is going to be low (web browsing) then Linksys should be fine. If the traffic is higher (streaming media, VPN, remote access), you can still go with the Linksys, but stay aware that some months later it might die.
    I use Linksys at home because of its price, and relative reliability, but I am not surprised when it starts acting up (usually in 6~9 months), but I just go to the store and buy another one since they keep getting cheaper. Just save the configuration in a document in the firesafe (or another secure place) so you can configure the next router with the same keys and avoid configuring a lot of laptops

"Since it is a work LAN it is very recomendable that you use some security, preferibly WAP (WEP is easy to crack)."

We're on a ship in the middle of the ocean. The only thing these guys can crack is their knouckles when they aren't dragging them along the deck.

This is strictly for gaming from machine to machine. No internet will be involved. I read that the kids are using wi-fi to hook their machines up on the bus to play games. That's what we want.
    In the past we've been connecting with cables and it's a pain.
    So far I know that one of use has to be an Ad-Hoc host and then the rest sign on as client and find his connection and game.