Thread: Please Help!

Please Help!

ok, here's the thing.
    I looked all over the net for some help, and this is my last chance.

i have to xp pro computers on a workgroup from computer A i can see and access both computers in the workgroup.
    But from computer B i cant even see it in the workgroup folder let alone computer A.
    i tried a million things including the user rights and removing firewalls, or anything else like that.

and i dont know what to do from here on.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Just a chance here, but have you tried re-installing the network on COmputer B? Perhaps it just needs to be updated to show that Computer A is around.

Also, any firewalls you have, should be removed temporarily to rule them out.

Have you tried remote desktop from both PCs? What happened?

i have tried to re-install the network a lot, and i dont know how to connect remotly.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Have you enabled File and Print Sharing on both computers?

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Quote Originally Posted by CHB1530
    i have tried to re-install the network a lot, and i dont know how to connect remotly.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...moteintro.mspx

What settings have you not tried on Machine B?

Have you tried running the network connection setting on machine A, then using machine A, create a network setup disk, then take it to machine B, and let the network install using machine A's setup?

There are loads of reasons why this may not work. I have had plenty of issues myself... spent loads on new cables, new NICs, and find out simple things like just having windows built in firewall turned on, or my private firewall, or even my router configuration screwing up the networking.

What settings have you not tried on Machine B?

Have you tried running the network connection setting on machine A, then using machine A, create a network setup disk, then take it to machine B, and let the network install using machine A's setup?

There are loads of reasons why this may not work. I have had plenty of issues myself... spent loads on new cables, new NICs, and find out simple things like just having windows built in firewall turned on, or my private firewall, or even my router configuration screwing up the networking.[/QUOTE]

I have tried all kinds of settings.
    yes i have tried making a setup disk. and i have no more firewalls or programs to stop me.

im installing SP2 because it might help, with new networking settings, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by petard
    Have you enabled File and Print Sharing on both computers?
    Petard had a good question. Is print and file sharing enabled on both PCs?

Also one last suggestion:

I have had this happen to me in teh past:

Try searching for the computer. Sometimes it won't show up in Network Neighborhood, but will show up if you search.

Start -> Search -> Search for : Computers or People -> A computer on the network

SOmetimes it just doesn't show up and you have to search for it by name. Make sure you know the name of the computers.

Is print and file sharing enabled on both PCs?
    YES!

i'll try searching for the other computer BIG BOOGER,
    and thanks for all the help.

ok, i have searched for the computer, and nothing.

i tried to setup my network again, same thing only this time computer B doesn't even have access to the workgroup folder.
    it says something about permissions to the resources.
    please if you've had this problem, try and help me.

Turning on and turning off Simple File Sharing
    Simple File Sharing is always turned on in Windows XP Home Edition-based computers. By default, the Simple File Sharing UI is turned on in Windows XP Professional-based computers that are joined to a workgroup. Windows XP Professional-based computers that are joined to a domain use only the classic file sharing and security interface. When you use the Simple File Sharing UI (that is located in the folder's properties), both share and file permissions are configured.

If you turn off Simple File Sharing, you have more control over the permissions to individual users. However, you must have advanced knowledge of NTFS and share permissions to help keep your folders and files more secure. If you turn off Simple File Sharing, the Shared Documents feature is not turned off.

To turn Simple File Sharing on or off in Windows XP Professional, follow these steps:
    1. Double-click My Computer on the desktop.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    3. Click the View tab, and then select the Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) check box to turn on Simple File Sharing. (Clear this check box to turn off this feature.)
    To view a video about how to turn Simple File Sharing on or off, click the Play button (Play button) on the following Windows Media Player viewer:

I am wondering if perhaps changing the simple file sharing settings, if that will repair your network?

ok, you know what? I installed service pack 2 hoping the network should fix up, but nope.

this time i think i did it all right except i get this message
    'WORKGROUP is not accessible. you might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.'

please help me and tell me how to fix it, i reformated my harddrive and installed SP2 just for this, i need help please.

One possible solution is to use a new workgroup name. (on both machines)

Another is to DISABLE simple file sharing on both PCs.

And still another might be to navigate to the following location:

Control Panel/(Performance and Maintenance)/Administrative Tools/Local Security Policy/Security options/

DISABLE: Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only