Thread: ubuntu dual boot

Banned

ubuntu dual boot

well i wanted to know how 2 dual boot with ubuntu.
    so i did a little search and I found this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=56620

Now the info their telling there is it only for those who got more then one hardrive?? Cuz i only got one and I want to do dual boot with ubuntu and windows XP.

thx in advance

Banned
    Actualy this thing is gud, it works but one problem,

when u click on the link they say:

6. You should see something like this:

#1. . .Primary. . . .6.3 GB †. . . .ntfs
    . . . . .Pri/Log. . . .33.7 GB. . . . .FREE SPACE
    well for me

my primary....is about 164 GB
    and the Pri/Log...is 8MB

so i cant install it on my Pri/Log....

how do i increase the space of my Pri/Log

i suppose for that i have to decrease the space of my Primary...

But how????

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Use a partitioning software LM, like partition commander, partition magic etc...

That will allow you to adjust the freespace of your drives.

I will warn you that without a second drive, you are risking having a non-booting machine.

If something goes wrong with ubuntu, and your bootloader is destroyed you probably won't have access to XP... Without fixing the MBR or something like that. So be cautious. Take it from one who had to learn the hard way.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    BB speaks wisely. If you're going to play around with different operating systems, etc then you should either have a second hard drive or an additional PC.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Banned
    I know, my friend also told me that, but i dun want it that way, as u can see my Pri/Log is to 8mb but isnt there a way to increase the space, kust like the guy there on the link?

i already got 2 partitions

#1. . .Primary. . . .164 GB †. . . .ntfs
    . . . . .Pri/Log. . . .8 MB. . . . .FREE SPACE

but how to put more space in "Pri/Log. . . .8 MB. . . . .FREE SPACE"

cant i devide it and put half, half on each partitions????

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    Use a partitioning software LM, like partition commander, partition magic etc...

That will allow you to adjust the freespace of your drives.

I will warn you that without a second drive, you are risking having a non-booting machine.

If something goes wrong with ubuntu, and your bootloader is destroyed you probably won't have access to XP... Without fixing the MBR or something like that. So be cautious. Take it from one who had to learn the hard way.
    BB your words are the words of a "pc guru"

So I better take ur advice, and not do any of that partition magic tool thing
    But I asked this guy i met on the ubuntu forum, and he said that if I wanted I could simply get suse 9.3, because that linux version automatticaly makes its own partitions, so should I follow his words?????

ubuntu can also make its own partitions.
    all you have to do is setup the partitions on your single drive so that theres about 10-15 gigs of unused space at the end..when you istall ubuntu theres a part of the install where you can select a partition to install on..just select the unused space..and it will automatically partition it to its needs..it will also install GRUB which is the boot loader and allows you to dual boot xp and linux. hope this helps.

ohh..and when i say unused space..i mean unpartitioned..
    Last edited by TestMAD; August 28th, 2005 at 17:37 PM.
    AMD64 3800+ w/stock HSF | 2 x PowMax dual fan 550Watt | Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI | GeIL 512MB DDR400 PC3200 Ultra Series Dual Channel Memory | 2 x EVGA 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E on SLI setup | Thermaltake Tsunami Case w/120mm

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TestMAD
    ubuntu can also make its own partitions.
    all you have to do is setup the partitions on your single drive so that theres about 10-15 gigs of unused space at the end..when you istall ubuntu theres a part of the install where you can select a partition to install on..just select the unused space..and it will automatically partition it to its needs..it will also install GRUB which is the boot loader and allows you to dual boot xp and linux. hope this helps.

ohh..and when i say unused space..i mean unpartitioned..

Thanx for the info TestMAD but u should of told me before, cuz i installed suse 9.3, well thx anyways pal,