Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: My Computer's Dead - Again

  1. #1
    Member webdivauk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    61

    Unhappy My Computer's Dead - Again

    I'm not having much luck.

    I went to turn on my computer last night and noticed that the green power light was still on. I pressed the reset button and nothing happen. I then turned the power switch on and off but the green power light came on but no red hard drive light. I've also pulled all the plugs out of the back of the computer and tried to start up my computer but nothing. All of the Motherboard lights came on so I don't think it's the power pack.

    Any suggestions of things to try before I go buying parts again?

    As always,

    Thanks in advance
    Sian

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    JAPAN
    Posts
    10,660
    check the switch on your PC case. The one you push the button with. It could just be sticking..

    This could be power supply related.. it could be hardware related. Check all the cables on the disk drives, optic drives, and so on. Pull them out and put them back in to be sure.

    Lastly trying removing the CMOS batter from the motherboard *with the power cable unplugged, and then plug it all back in.

    Also check the RESET button as well... It could be faulty.

  3. #3
    Member webdivauk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    61
    Thanks for the reply. I've had a very large, strong coffee and I'm a bit calmer now.

    I will try what you suggested and post my results here. My 2nd computer has the same power supply as my faulty computer. I'm thinking of taking it out and putting it into my main comp to see if it's the power supply. If it is I might buy a new case at the same time as the one I'm using now is pretty bashed and battered.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    JAPAN
    Posts
    10,660
    Quote Originally Posted by webdivauk
    Thanks for the reply. I've had a very large, strong coffee and I'm a bit calmer now.

    I will try what you suggested and post my results here. My 2nd computer has the same power supply as my faulty computer. I'm thinking of taking it out and putting it into my main comp to see if it's the power supply. If it is I might buy a new case at the same time as the one I'm using now is pretty bashed and battered.
    Trying a second power supply will definitely rule out that component as the culprit! Good luck and let us know how you get on.

  5. #5
    Member webdivauk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    61
    I swapped the power supply. Looks like my motherboard has blown as well. So either the power supply has taken out the mobo or the mobo taken out the power supply.

    I'm now on a hunt for a new mobo and new case!

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    JAPAN
    Posts
    10,660
    Quote Originally Posted by webdivauk
    I swapped the power supply. Looks like my motherboard has blown as well. So either the power supply has taken out the mobo or the mobo taken out the power supply.

    I'm now on a hunt for a new mobo and new case!
    One thing I will advise you to try, is remove everything from motherboard. All drives, memory, everything. Take out the small battery that should be circular in dimension, leave it out for a few minutes. Put that small battery back in and the memory. Plug in the power supply to the motherboard. Try to turn it on.

    See if you can get into the BIOS *there should be a special key you push to access teh BIOS.. some MOBOs require F1, esc, del etc...

    If not you can rule out a dead motherboard. If you can, then add your hard disk, and optical drives. See if it will boot then, the add any PCI cards *firewire, sound, etc...

    It could be your motherboard is dead, but it would be best to make absolutely sure before buying new components.

  7. #7
    Member webdivauk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    61
    I gave it a go, doens't seem to have made much difference.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    JAPAN
    Posts
    10,660
    Quote Originally Posted by webdivauk
    I gave it a go, doens't seem to have made much difference.
    Consider yourself the new owner of a motherboard decorative piece. I like to put mine in frames and hang them on the wall.

  9. #9
    Member webdivauk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    61
    I'm going to try selling it on ebay for scrap, someone might want it. I've made a new post about a case and a mobo, looks like I'll be dipping into my new camera lens fund!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •