Thread: Freezing Hdd Works To Recover Data

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Freezing Hdd Works To Recover Data

In my case it worked. I thought it was a bunch of wing wang before trying it... but I can swear by it, it does work. I think if your drive stopped working due to HEAT issues, then this trick works. If it stopped working for other reasons it may or may not work.

I got the idea from here:

http://www.meetmyattorney.com/slink/...es/000275.html

But it only works for a short time. In fact, I barely got all the data off before it stopped working... but it was good enough to get my data back.. which was worth more to me than the damn drive.

This technique had been aluded to by zipp in this thread:

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/show...9299#post59299
    Last edited by Big Booger; August 30th, 2005 at 15:33 PM.

Have a gander at Operation SnowCap:

A bit of a large image.

Banned
    Hmmm, nice tip, but I rather not do it cuz i'm sure the minute I get it off the pc i might drop, lol i suck at keeping stuffs in gud shape

BTW, thats one huge pics, i could even see wich brand ur hard disk is... no J/K

I'm wondering how you're able to keep condensation off the drive platter.
    The Tribes of Man shall be scattered like smoke, and the Four shall succumb to madness. The sword shall be drawn too late, the eagle shall bathe in its own blood, the wolf shall fall into its shadow, and the phoenix shall with two heads devour its children. A thousand worlds shall be rent with fire, and even the Immortals shall tremble, for there will be no haven but the night, no safety without fury, no peace until the ashes grow cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeric Hikari
    I'm wondering how you're able to keep condensation off the drive platter.
    It formed on the outside of the hard disk, but I think the internal parts are air tight.

And yet you stick something that could potentially drip water onto sensetive electronics(granted not much really) into your computer.

*shrug* I put mine in a ziplock bag then in a freezer...mine however wasn't heat related in problems so freezing did nothing.
    The Tribes of Man shall be scattered like smoke, and the Four shall succumb to madness. The sword shall be drawn too late, the eagle shall bathe in its own blood, the wolf shall fall into its shadow, and the phoenix shall with two heads devour its children. A thousand worlds shall be rent with fire, and even the Immortals shall tremble, for there will be no haven but the night, no safety without fury, no peace until the ashes grow cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeric Hikari
    And yet you stick something that could potentially drip water onto sensetive electronics(granted not much really) into your computer.

*shrug* I put mine in a ziplock bag then in a freezer...mine however wasn't heat related in problems so freezing did nothing.
    I did no such thing. I put it in an external enclosure. I know fully well that putting something wet in PC is crazy.