Thread: Workgroup PC password protected

Workgroup PC password protected

Problem: Difficulty sharing my laptop files in network environment.
    Variables:
    - My Laptop: Inspiron 9300 running XP Pro
    - No "User Accounts" set up, so no passwords required when booting system
    - No passwords required when utilizing network in home office

My scenario: Escaped my home office in Mobile, AL. Visiting family and successfully using their wireless network. No password required to access their network. Can successfully access the Internet as well as their individual PC's. However, when they "View Workgroup Computers" on their end, my laptop is visible as part of the workgroup, but once they click it to access my laptop, they are immediately promted for a "Password". I'm not aware of any password as I've never needed one in my own office network.

I've seen the error message that occurs when file and printer sharing is turned off. It's clear that the system is not accessable. This, however, appears to be different.

Why can't I call the guy that set up my home office network? Well... unfortunately, he's still down in Mobile and we can't reach him.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    W. Wells III
    Wells & Associates Consulting Group
    www.wellswebgroup.com

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    in folder options make sure that simple file sharing is turned off. That gave me a headached with my SOHO.

Greetings phishhead...

I'm actually wanting to share this PC with the network. I'm simply unsure as to how and why, when they attempt to access my PC, they are promted for a password. I'm not sure how to remove this from my laptop so they can access it as well.
    W. Wells III
    Wells & Associates Consulting Group
    www.wellswebgroup.com

You do have user accounts.
    Sharing the root of a drive so anyone can access it - especially on a wireless system - is a bad idea as it makes your PC a playground for anyone that wants to play.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

I had the same problem as you did. The only way to fix it is to turn simple sharing on, not off.