Thread: Whats killin' my connection????

Whats killin' my connection????

Hey Guys,

Took Rev's (and other's) advise and downloaded Shareaza.

Love it except......

Either "it" or my broadband company is killing my connection....I get up in the morning, I've got nothing. While I'm on it, I can't get my email half the time. What's going on? Any ideas?

BTW, I've got the Edonkey thing going and all is well now....having no problems with FFF's.

Thanks in Advance,

Sharon

I am having the same problem lately. If you find a solution, let me know.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    What I will guess is that your P2P program is maxing out your download or upload.

Try playing with the settings:

How can I restrict bandwidth for uploads and downloads?
    You can limit your bandwidth in Shareaza by going toTools > Shareaza Settings > Internet > Uploads or DownloadsFrom there you set limits under bandwidth limit. Make sure you use KB for Kilobytes and Kb for Kilobits. While in Power mode you can use the bandwidth bar to adjust incoming/outcoming bandwidth with your mouse.

Post your results after you give taht a try.

Quote Originally Posted by cmputrskillme
    Either "it" or my broadband company is killing my connection....I get up in the morning, I've got nothing. While I'm on it, I can't get my email half the time. What's going on? Any ideas?
    I have nothing against Shareaza but when I tried it all I can remember is problems. But I would try what BB suggested.

If you still have a problem with fakes on eDonkey, using a site like shareprovider.com might help (warning: lots of pop-ups, adult content...) . The site provides you with ED2K links and I've never found a fake there. The only problem is the uncontrollable pop-ups and I bet they have some sort of spyware in them, so use Opera with all pop-ups disabled.

Good luck!
    Last edited by hotmale; September 9th, 2005 at 17:29 PM.

It could also relate to what OS you are using. Windows XP sp2 has a little publicized fix in that it limits your network connections to 10 max to help stop worms and virus being sent out from zombie PCs. So if you have two Firefox tabs open, your mail, msn that's 4 right there. Downloading one item with a p2p client can use a lot more than the 6 remaining connections as the one file could be coming from more than 6 people. Again, you wouldn't really notice this slow down until you used something like a p2p client as most people don't have 10 web browsers open at a time or something like that. There is a batch file you can download that will let you change the amount of network connections from 10 to whatever number you like, the file recommends 50, but I've changed it to 1024 with no ill effects for several months. But, any use of this file is strictly at your own risk, I didn't make I just know where to find it. Just download the Patcher at http://www.lvllord.de/. Oh yeah, and the sneaky guys at Microsoft have it so that every time you do a winupdate, it resets the connections back down to 10, so don't lose the patch.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    I've attached the patch.

Unzip and run the EvID4226Patch.exe. Type Y and hit enter.
    Last edited by Reverend; September 11th, 2005 at 21:00 PM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Something new to consider. I have been doing a little research and have suspecions that Microsoft recently delivered a WinXP update that blocks some popular Linux/DNS servers using port 2095. That is the common port used by email providers. So, if your email provider is using a Linux Server and you are getting DNS errors associated with your email applications (PC and web based) then you might need to make a few adjustments. Exaclty how the adjustment is made I am not 100% sure yet because it is very complicated.

I suppose it will make the news next week. You heard it here first