Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There is no best processor

Banned

There is no best processor

There is no best processor ~ It's all what you want to do with it
    Jul 10 '00

Processors today are so advanced it really doesn't matter what brand you buy but more what you are going to be using it for. What I mean is, you can get the same satisfaction of writing a book report on a AMD K6-2 at 350MHz as you can on a Pentium III at 933MHz. This type of application does not require the speed of the 933MHz processor and if that is what you are mainly using your computer for, you would be paying way too much for what you need.

The best thing to do to determine what type of processor you need is to make a list of all the things you want to be able to do with your computer, then start with that.

Light Use
    If you are going to be using the computer mainly for web browsing and email, with maybe some light gaming, you may want to consider the cheaper AMD K6-2 and K6-III series of processors. These processors range from 300MHz to 550MHz and perform as well as a Pentium II at a lower cost. These processors also take advantage of the the 100MHz frontside bus of the Super7 motherboards that they use with the faster PC100 memory. AMD's design of these chips includes the 3DNow! instruction set that greatly enhances multimedia applications, sound and games. The K6-III adds the advantage of having the level 2 cache on the processor die as well as the level 1 cache making the processor even faster and still retaining the low cost.

Moderate to Heavy Use
    If you are looking for a home computer to do a little bit of everything, you may want to consider a Pentium III or an AMD Athlon processor. Both offer speeds from 500MHz up to 1000MHz and are capable of running any resource-hungry, Windows based software you may want to run. They both have special instruction sets built into the processor to enhance multimedia and are excellent processors for 3D gaming and MP3 recording/playback as well as DVD playback and web design applications.

They are also great processors for video editing and graphic design as well as being able to handle all your office work and internet applications. They differ technically in many ways and have changed in design from their original plans since their introduction to make them better. Personally I prefer the Athlon, but I will not go into an Intel/AMD debate here. For most all purposes they perform very well and one is just as good as the other for any home or office use.

Extreme Heavy Use
    If you are thinking of using a computer for a large network server, you may want to consider using a Pentium III Xeon processor. Even though these processors are much more expensive than the Pentium III processors, they can handle much more multitasking and make excellent processors for the demanding job of a server. It has the same 32k of level 1 cache as the Pentium, Pentium II and Pentium III but it is designed with 512k of level 2 cache built on the processor die and running at the full clock speed of the processor. The Xeon series is specially designed for input/output data processing and (like the Pentium II and III) can be used in conjunction with other Xeon processors of the same speed to maximize efficiency for network servers.

Whatever you plan to use your computer for, there a couple processors I would warn you against. One is the Cyrix family of processors. These processors are cheaply made and commonly burn out their cache and most of them are clock rated too high for their actual performance. Many people have bought a 300MHz Cyrix M2 processor to have the cache burn up. I have a friend who had such a problem and after receiving his third processor under warranty and still having trouble with stability, the Cyrix technical support told him to jumper down his clock speed. This is totally unacceptable. They wanted him to Underclock his 300MHz processor to 266MHz. What a joke!

Another processor to stay away from is the Winchip. I personally have not had the dishonor of using one but many people I know have had nothing but problems with Winchips. This is especially a problem with laptop computers using the Winchip. The processors don't burn up like the Cyrix processors, but they are extremely buggy and do not perform well at all for most high end games and resource demanding office applications.

Finally, I want to also remind you that having a good processor is only one important part of the whole computing solution that is right for you. Consider what you will be using your computer for and make sure you get the right components and peripherals as well. For example, if you are intending to use the computer for extreme gaming and buy the Pentium III 1000MHz processor but only buy a 4MB video card, you are going to be very disappointed with the performance of your computer with 3D games. A good video card is a must for this type of use as well as the appropriate amount of memory and so on.

I hope this helps you decide which processor is right for your needs. Good luck and happy computing.

source: http://www.epinions.com/

The intent behind this article is good, but it is 5 years old. Some of those numbers need to be updated.

Secondly FX-57 or AthlonX2 4800+, that should umbrella all things a person would want to do with a computer. Including servering, with a multiple AthlonX2 system.

If you want to do web surfing then an intel processor is fine and dandy (i have a bias against intel).

Banned
    i know it is pretty old, lol

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Old and moldy!!!!lol

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    it is old but the info is good and reflects the fact that we do not need the power of a 1, 2, 3 or even 4 ghz machine.

We can get the job done using a simple 233mhz computer.

It is not a shock for you to know that many companies still use 486 computers running dos simply for database input.

if all you do is data input you do not need a fast computer.

to search the internet all you want is a fast internet connection and lots of ram for all the open internet windows.

only people that play games and manipulate video and pictures need the power of over 1 ghz.

I have a 3.2ghz p4
    I do everything from capturing realtime video to photoshop and much at the same time.

I am a power user.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    to search the internet all you want is a fast internet connection and lots of ram for all the open internet windows.
    Yep, I have a real powerful PC but when it comes to the internet I'm in the stone age of dialup....

Gamers drive the PC power race, the PC and hardware companies convince others they need all the power.....Think about all the people who upgrade every year or two and all they do is surf the net, email and chat.

Dam my 2500mhz A64 is getting slow, I know I could type faster if I had another 300mhz....off to the store

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    For example...My main Linux box just got upgraded 2 days ago. It was running a Celeron 300a and I upgraded to a PIII 550!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Yep, I have a real powerful PC but when it comes to the internet I'm in the stone age of dialup....

Gamers drive the PC power race, the PC and hardware companies convince others they need all the power.....Think about all the people who upgrade every year or two and all they do is surf the net, email and chat.

Dam my 2500mhz A64 is getting slow, I know I could type faster if I had another 300mhz....off to the store

damn!!! change to cable now!!!! its for ur own gud!

here is a good company for internet: http://www.shoprogers.com/store/cabl...FBATJ2NH7663L0

Im also a power user,at the moment im on a 2GHz PC still waiting for the right time to upgrade to a A64,I mainly do video editing and ecoding,graphics editing (photoshop) and website design and the occasional gaming.

Couldnt agree more about switching from dial up.I used to be dial up but once i went to DSL i would never go back.

Banned
    yeah but cable is better then dsl, when u start windows, ur internet has to get connected, but with cable its always connected

true but cable speeds also vary depending how many cable users in your area are online at the particular time.plus cable has a tendancy of going out more often in my area so DSL was a better choice for me.It's only went out twice in the years ive used it and never for longer then an hour

Banned
    sorry, but correction, it depends how many people use the same line connected to the router, but it doesnt have anything to to with the cable users in my area.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lankan_man
    damn!!! change to cable now!!!! its for ur own gud!

here is a good company for internet: http://www.shoprogers.com/store/cabl...FBATJ2NH7663L0
    He doesn't have any broadband options where he's from. He lives in a swamp.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lankan_man
    sorry, but correction, it depends how many people use the same line connected to the router, but it doesnt have anything to to with the cable users in my area.
    ADSL is always on and is a dedicated line from your house to the port station.

Cable is always on but your connection is shared with a fixed amount of users in your neighborhood.

You may notice slowdowns during peak imternet use times as a result of the neiborhood checking email and listening to music at the same time.

Cable is also not safe since it is like a shared connection and I have read reports from somewebsites that it is possible to use sniffer programs to capture data packets from some computers in your share.

sorry offtopic

going to plug in my 286 with monochrome monitor and type something using wordstar
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for clearing that up egghead as for your 286 lol take a picture of it!