Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATX vs Full ATX - Is there a difference?

ATX vs Full ATX - Is there a difference?

My new motherboard is an ATX form factor board. I ordered a new case which I thought was ATX but the connectors on the motherboard don't line up with the case, the backplate looks as if its the wrong one.The only niggling thing is that the description of the motherboard says Full ATX/Midi ATX

Here are the links:

Case

Motherboard

Any advise? I'm getting really desperate.
    Last edited by webdivauk; September 11th, 2005 at 17:30 PM.

I think I might have found the answer on this webpageit lists all the different motherboard form factors showing a difference between atx and full atx. I know the motherboard is atx and the case write up shows full atx. could this be my problem?

However, I've been looking at ATX Cases on some websites especially at the close-up's of the cases, my mobo would definately not fit in them, so I'm at at loss as to which case to buy or whether to send the whole lot back and start again.
    Last edited by webdivauk; September 11th, 2005 at 17:28 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Did you pop the back plate out of the new case and put the one in for your MB ? Your board should fit that case.

Hi there, I managed to get the motherboard in with no problems as you stated there was a backplate that I had to change.

At the moment it's not working as there's no output to my monitor, although the monitor recognises when the cable isn't plugged in. I don't think my hard drive is firing up although my CD ROM's lights are on, and I've just doubled checked the RAM I'm using via RAM checker and I don't think its the right type which I'm assuming wouldn't make my hard drive fire up or have output to my monitor?

Ive got one further question, when I order more RAM, do I order PC2100 266mhz 400mhz CPU FSB as my chip is a P4 2.4 400mhz FSB chip? or can I use 533mhz/800mz Ram and that if I can order higher speeds that PC3200 is the better RAM to get?

Sian
    Last edited by webdivauk; September 13th, 2005 at 23:39 PM.

on the site it says your motherboard can handle 4gb of pc3200 a.k.a. DDR400, that means your board takes any kind of ram as long as it is 184pin ram (between pc2100-pc4500). And pc3200 is better than pc2100. What kind of video card do you have, i.e. AGP, PCI, etc?

That's good news about the RAM. I've got a 2 month old AGP 6600 256mb GT generic card from Novatech. I've just had another look at the chip as I wasn't happy with how it was sitting on the motherboard, just had to wedgy it off the heatsink/fan so maybe that's a factor as well.

So is this system working now ? what ram do you have ?

Now got it almost working. I appear to have setup the bios correctly but it keeps trying to start in various safe modes, normal mode and last safe settings, regardless of which option I chose it goes back to the start up splash screen and starts the process over again. If I have to format the hdd that's not a problem.

This is a clean install of windows isn't it ? and you didn't answer my ram question.....

I've got my computer working (using it now), last thing I need to do is to plug my speakers in. I ran the Windows Repair function and it's worked, all my files are on here etc.

As for RAM I'm using PC2100 400ghz non-parity one strip of 512mb and one 256mb.

As always, thanks to everyone who helped me get my computer back online.

Sian

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    This is a clean install of windows isn't it ? and you didn't answer my ram question.....

That was what I was thinking.Sounds like an HD from another system.A clean install would do a world of good.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I agree with Zipp. A reformat is in order. The reason you system wouldn't boot was because the hardware drivers that were on the hard disk didn't match your new system. When you installed over the current windows install, it erased the windows files and installed the drivers compatible with your new components.

If I were you, I'd back up all the files that you want to save, and do a clean, fresh install, of windows XP. THat includes formatting the disk and starting freshly.

http://www.techzonez.com/modules.php...ion=show&id=15

That guide will run you through the process.

Thanks for the replies. I had a good think about it last night and I will do a clean format over the weekend. The problem I've had is that I couldn't get the computer to work after about 10 minutes or so, it would either freeze or the picture would disappear off the screen. In addition to having the freezes/reboots etc the picture on the screen goes funny completely changing color or having a strange patterns. Me thinks there's problems afoot.

This evening, I've rebooted countless times and so I swapped my new graphics card (GeForce 6600 GT 256mb) for my old graphics card (Geforce 4 64mb MX440) and I've had no problems at all - reboot free for the last hour.

Do you think it's worth trying the new card again after a fresh install?

Boy is my old graphics card noisy!

Sian

PS Will also post up a photo of the new case as well.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I think you should try the new graphics card in the system when you do a fresh install.

I would first download a firewall application and an antivirus. Make sure that your XP install has SP2 available if not then go to the microsoft site and download the network SP2 installation.

When you do the fresh install, disconnect the PC from the internet. INstall XP, after installing, then install your firewall and antivirus. Then connect it to the internet and immediately update the antivirus and firewall as well as any windows updates.

Next I'd get the latest Nvidia graphics driver from http://www.nvidia.com

Then install any other software you have that you want on the fresh system.

For a future measure of security, you might want to create a back up or disk image of the install. This way if you ever have any issues later on, you can quickly fix the problem by restoring from your disk image.

Maybe your power supply is suspect with that new powerful MB, what's the wattage ?

4x256mb of fast PC3200 ram should work nice in that dual channel board