Thread: I want my ps/2 mouse & keyboard back

I want my ps/2 mouse & keyboard back

I'm in real need of a wizard because this problem is driving me insane.

I have a Windows 2000 box. It used to use a wireless keyboard and mouse combination (Logitech cordless desktop LX 700). I now want to move this machine back to a regular old PS/2 mouse and keyboard. Sounds simple, but so far it isn't.

I uninstalled all logitech software and shut down. Thin I unplugged the usb rf receiver and the attached ps/2 mouse plugin (I don't really know what this is for). I hooked up regular old ps/2 stuff, and started it up again.

No mouse, no keyboard. The keyboard works, because I can press del when starting up and get to the bios configuration screen, move around quite happliy in there, it all works. As soon as Windows takes over, the PS/2 ports seem to be disabled. I can plug in usb stuff and they work fine. The original Logitech keyboard and mouse work fine (once I plug in the usb receiver). I've tried setting up hardware profiles, but to no avail. I've booted other operating systems on the machine (Knoppix from a LiveCD) and regular ps/2 stuff works fine. I found an article on the web that said you had to edit the registry to activate the i8042prt entry in the registry (set the start value of this key to 1), but this was already in place. I've tried various combinations of usb and ps/2 keyboards and mice, all in an attempt to get Windows to figure out what is going on. Every time, the things connected via usb work, and the ps/2 stuff does not. If there are 2 mice connect, one via usb and one via ps/2, Windows just locks up.

All I want is to use this machine with a ps/2 mouse and keyboard, rather than the usb stuff I was using before. I'm out of ideas, and I'm hoping someone out there can provide some guidance.

Banned
    Well the problem is certanly with ur windows, cuz u say ur PS/2 mouse works fine with knoppix. Well the same thing hapened to my win ME but now i got a winXP and normaly winXP has its own built in drivers and shit so you wont have any probs connecting it.

In the other hand with your mouse on ur win2000, well u can get help from this forum http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index...howtopic=51981

But just to tell you when I had that PS2 mouse prob with my mouse, i used my keyboard to go up to control Panel then mouse then do the appropriate configuration for my mouse. Cuz most of the thing you do with ur mouse, u can also do with ur keyboard.

BTW, Welcome to TZ ::: Have a great time, and u'll obviously get the best help on this forum

"Thin I unplugged the usb rf receiver and the attached ps/2 mouse plugin (I don't really know what this is for). "

Wait, I dont understand. Are you saying that you plugged your wired mouse and keyboard into their respective PS/2 ports, or do you have an adapter of some kind? And just to make sure, try pressing your windows key when your computer has started up. See if your start menu opens. If you have tried this please ignore what i just said.

The logitech RF reciever doubles as the battery charger for the mouse. The cord from this RF reciever has attaches to the computer at two points - a USB attachment and a ps/2 attachment for the mouse port. That is what I was talking about above, I was saying I'd disconnected all the logitech stuff and plugged in regular old ps/2 stuff.

The "I don't really know what this is for" comment is because with the logitech attachments, it makes no difference if I have the mouse wire connected or not, the mouse works fine.

I think Windows has bugs here (among others). I don't know if it is possible to go from my old setup back to PS/2 without a re-install.

First, try going into the control panel -> mouse -> hardware tab. And see under Devices if there is PS/2 compatable mouse device. If it is there, double-click on it and look at the drill down menu at the bottom. Set it to (enable).

There is no PS/2 mouse, only "HID compatible mouse". I see no option to "add a mouse". I've tried disabling the mouse, then using the keyboard to shutdown, plug in a ps/2 mouse and reboot in the hopes it would be found, but no luck.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    try deleteing the com ports in device manager

reboot with ps2 mouse and keyboard

might trigger the update.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I tried you suggestion: I booted to a working setup, removed the two com ports, then did a clean shutdown. I unplugged the usb stuff, plugged in some ps/2 stuff, and started up again. As usual, it makes it to the login screen and then waits happily for me to do something, but I have no mouse pointer and the keyboard does not respond.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. If anything else comes to mind, let me know. This machine may have to use a usb keyboard and mouse until it gets a new operating system put on it.