Thread: Firewall Troubles

Firewall Troubles

Hey guys,This is a sort of rant and help thread in one lol i will explain the problem.Back in the younger days of my PC i used to rely on Windows XP built in firewall which needless to say was not good enough.I was plagued by microsoft security issues getting through including one bug that would make my PC restart every 30 seconds.I decided to invest in Zone Alarm which i used for a long time and worked perfectly until a recent update.After updating i started getting PC errors and freeze up's.I then decided to get norton's firewall and all was working great up until a few hours ago.Suddenly the damn firewall is blocking me any access to the internet unless i disable it.I didn't change any settings it's strange.I was online everything worked.I left for a few hours came back and bam it wouldn't work.Disable it everything works fine.So the question is do any of you know a way to totally wipe all norton firewall settings clean and start from scratch without uninstalling/reinstalling it again?and also does anyone know of a good simple well built firewall?I'm getting so sick of this stuff lol time for an alternative.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I recently ditched Zone Alarm for Sygate's free firewall. No headache's since then.

Thanks for the reply Conan,Yeah i just uninstalled Norton as well.Thanks for the heads p i will check that one out.I'll wait for a few more replies all i am looking for quite simply is the best no hassle firewall out there doesnt matter if it's free or i have to pay.Anything that works correctly is a far step from what i've been dealing with lol

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I use sygate as well but I am very concerned since I heard Norton bought the software.

Don't want to lose another "giant"
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by egghead
    I use sygate as well but I am very concerned since I heard Norton bought the software.

Don't want to lose another "giant"
    I heard this as well,just was reading on it after doing some searches about the firewall.Hope it doesnt happen i've had far to many problems with norton firewalls in the past.

Platinum+ Member
    Zonealarm Free with Mcafee 9 works well for me. Maybe the same would work for you. You could try another AV as well if you wish.

Maybe you should format and reinstall Zonealarm and the AV because the problems may be caused by the earlier corruption of files (in the windows firewall days).

Quote Originally Posted by tarun
    Zonealarm Free with Mcafee 9 works well for me. Maybe the same would work for you. You could try another AV as well if you wish.

Maybe you should format and reinstall Zonealarm and the AV because the problems may be caused by the earlier corruption of files (in the windows firewall days).
    Thanks for your replies Back in the days when i first got ZA after switching from the XP default i did a clean format and install,i didnt have any problem with ZA all the time i had it until the recent update to version 60.667.000 from version 55.094.000,I havent had any trouble with my antivirus at all,thats the one thing that hasn't failed me yet.I just seem to have bad luck with firewalls lol.

I think i will give sygate a try see how that holds up.To anyone that uses it would you rate it higher or lower then Zone Alarm or Norton?I want to try and be certain because i have far to many work related files that i cant risk losing and have no where to back up to at the moment

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Sygate is a real good firewall, it does have the loopback proxy issue. If you use a proxy or any program that proxies then anything on your PC could go outbound without your knowledge.

Kerio 4.2 is a nice firewall, after 30 days it turns into a free version. Don't buy Kerio 4.2, its being discontinued at the end of the year.

Kerio 2.1.5 Free still works fine with BZ ruleset

I use Kerio 2.1.5 on one PC and Sygate on another. If you use Kerio 2.1.5 with BZ rules and modify the rules to your setup you'll have a safe, fast and trouble free firewall. If you don't use a proxy or accept the proxy issue then Sygate should work great.

All routers include a hardware firewall (a bit of a contradiction as a firewall by definition is software) and a router is often similar in price to the all software PC firewall. There are many advantages to having this kind of setup not least of which is that the functions are not using your processor power but the hardware's and that if the 'hacker' is hacking anything he is hacking your router not your PC(at least for a while).

Anyone using broadband should definitely go down this route although it does require some technical knowledge to set up and run efficiently - but, even on default out of the box settings it is usually still preferable to a software PC friewall.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    All routers include a hardware firewall (a bit of a contradiction as a firewall by definition is software) and a router is often similar in price to the all software PC firewall. There are many advantages to having this kind of setup not least of which is that the functions are not using your processor power but the hardware's and that if the 'hacker' is hacking anything he is hacking your router not your PC(at least for a while).

Anyone using broadband should definitely go down this route although it does require some technical knowledge to set up and run efficiently - but, even on default out of the box settings it is usually still preferable to a software PC friewall.
    Yep my wireless DSL roter/modem combo has buil in firewall.I have it set to low at the moment because i've had problems with networking with higher settings.Do you think getting the router firewall configured properly combined with XP's firewall would be a suitable combination?If so i may look more into it as it would be nice to rid myself of the software firewalls.They can be a pain when encoding media or large files.not to ention playing games.

Same thing happened to me. Disabled it until I had more time.

I keep watching for a solution. Good luck trying to find a tech with Norton.
    (when it works, it is fine. But, it can really mess you up).

Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant
    Hey guys,This is a sort of rant and help thread in one lol i will explain the problem.Back in the younger days of my PC i used to rely on Windows XP built in firewall which needless to say was not good enough.I was plagued by microsoft security issues getting through including one bug that would make my PC restart every 30 seconds.I decided to invest in Zone Alarm which i used for a long time and worked perfectly until a recent update.After updating i started getting PC errors and freeze up's.I then decided to get norton's firewall and all was working great up until a few hours ago.Suddenly the damn firewall is blocking me any access to the internet unless i disable it.I didn't change any settings it's strange.I was online everything worked.I left for a few hours came back and bam it wouldn't work.Disable it everything works fine.So the question is do any of you know a way to totally wipe all norton firewall settings clean and start from scratch without uninstalling/reinstalling it again?and also does anyone know of a good simple well built firewall?I'm getting so sick of this stuff lol time for an alternative.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I prefer to use MAC filtering within my router plus turning of Broadcast. That way only the systems that I specifically enter a MAC address for can access the modem and by turning off the broadcast feature nobody can pick up the router signal.

I use wyvern works firewall.
    http://www.wyvernworks.com/firewall.html

it is a neat little firewall that does what it was designed for, plus it is free to non corporate users.
    i use it in combo with AVG.
    Last edited by beelzebub; September 20th, 2005 at 00:57 AM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebub
    I use wyvern works firewall.
    http://www.wyvernworks.com/firewall.html

it is a neat little firewall that does what it was designed for, plus it is free to non corporate users.
    i use it in combo with AVG.
    beelzebub did you test that firewall at the online test sites ? I did and it has more holes than swiss cheese.

If you can pass all the Sygate test, explain how you set the firewall up to do so.

Thanks

Test links http://www.advnetcom.net/fts.htm

Your Router's firewall may be configured in different ways depending on the router. Some have silly interfaces which you can set to various levels while others have actual port rules available. The normal way to tune your firewall is first to make sure it is set up for NATP and then to allow incoming traffic for certain programs which you may need to act as a server for using port redirection - an example is 3389 TCP for RDP connections.

Traffic directed at a firewall's port that hasn't been initiated by an outgoing request is usually then dropped in stealth mode or rejected in normal mode. The difference is that no response is returned to the attacker in stealth mode whereas a rejection is returned in normal mode - it is usual to set up the drop rule and run stealthily.

NATP makes it hard for an external attacker because your internal IPs are private and are non-routable over the internet. When you combine this with anti-spoofing where any incoming packet which has an internal IP address is dropped you then have a good basic defence.

For one reason or another which I won't go into any incoming data that hasn't been initiated by an outgoing request can't go anywhere into your network - which is basically what you were trying to achieve. Internally you don't necessarily need a firewall as such but some kind of IDS - which is another matter - many modern software type firewalls have this kind of functionality built in.

Of particular note is egress filtering which allows you to control which applications can get out to initiate a connection. This is important because by using certain networking tools in a certain way an attacker can bypass any firewall by using a 'reverse-listener'. This is a program which connects outwards but is actually allowing a connection inwards by requesting controlling instructions from an outside source.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?