Thread: Norton Ghost 9.0 questions

Norton Ghost 9.0 questions

I bought this OEM CD because it was only $17 vs 36 to 44 (or something like that) for Acronis 8.0--for the purpose of making an exact copy of my HD to a second HD that I could just pop in if my current-use HD quit.

But this review that I perhaps read too late stated that:

"Norton Ghost 9.0 was easy to use; the main controls are intuitive and logical. But Norton Ghost didn't receive a perfect score in this area because we feel the technical options in the drop-down menu would challenge a novice. For example, Norton Ghost presents you with choices involving DOS type, peer-to-peer settings, TCP/IP and SCSI driver settings, and virtual partition free space options—no novice would know what these terms mean. Default settings would make the program easier to use.

However, Symantec doesn't offer email support. Instead you must look up answers on the Frequently Asked Questions page, summit a question to support and wait for them to contact you. The only other option is to contact technical support and pay by the minute."

Now, I'm using XP Home edition, with a 40 gb 1-partition drive (C:\). I'm happy with that.

Can someone with experience with Norton Ghost 9.0 tell me whether I should select DOS type, Peer-to-Peer settings, TCP/IP, SCSI driver and which virtual free space options I should select? Is it possible to answer these questions specifically from the information I've given.

I didn't find an answer at Symantec Knowledge Base nor have I found the FAQ page the above review suggested.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Banned
    I don't know where these options are - I have Ghost 9 installed and can't find them. Maybe they apply to the network version. Making a backup such as you describe is simple:
    Fire up Ghost.
    Make sure you have 'Advanced View' in the left-hand pane.
    Click on 'Copy Drive', under 'Drive Tasks'
    Use the wizard to choose which drive to copy (Source Drive), and which drive to copy it to (Destination Drive)

For a description of the options on the final screen, see 'Copy Drive wizard options' in the Help file under 'Copy one hard drive to another drive'.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hi wumply, do as Nikto suggest and all will be fine

BTW thats a good price you got on Ghost

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Hi wumply, do as Nikto suggest and all will be fine

BTW thats a good price you got on Ghost

I know, that is a great price! Nice deal had there

The Ghost 9.0 is the CD only, btw, and is OEM. But right now the same site is selling it for $21.88...Go figure. Retailing is wacky sometimes. This same Viosoftware site currently lists the full version for $60. Currently is 9 PM EDT, Sept. 24, 05