Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: folder security needed.....

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar

folder security needed.....

anyone know of a program that will allow you to choose folders in xp and lock and encrypt them?

I want something like I can enter a single password after loading windows and it allows access to the folders and locks them again after i reboot or whatever.

I am looking for something that cannot be easily bypassed (safe mode or using another hard drive to browse the files etc...)

anyone got any ideas?

thanks
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Name: Lock Folder XP 3.4
    File Size: 1.21M
    Date: 31 Aug 2004
    License: Shareware
    Price: $24.95 (Order Now!)
    Eval: 30 days
    System Requirements: Win NT4/2000/XP/2003

Lock Folder XP is a new security tool that lets you lock your files, folders and drives with your personal password. Now nobody but you can access your most sensitive information. Locking folders, files and drives also effectively protects you from malicious programs, such as viruses, worms and Trojans. Here is how Lock Folder XP works - all you have to do is to drag file or folder you want to lock to Lock Folder XP window, and the rest is done automatically. Now your data is protected, hidden and can not be accessed without entering your personal password. It is critical to have effective protection from unauthorized access, since over 80% of reported security breaches come from within the organization, not hackers! Locking files, folders and drives is the best way to guarantee that nobody accidentally or intentionally gets access to your financial, health, private or confidential information. And since locking your files, folders or drives makes them invisible, they can not be deleted, damaged or harmed in any other ways. Even if a virus gets introduced to your system, your locked folders will not be detected, infected or harmed. Here is the important part - Lock Folder XP uses the encryption standards approved by the US Government. This and others innovative and reliable technologies provide the safest way to store your information well protected against hacker attacks, malicious software and dishonest employees. More info-Everstrike Software
    Take a look at that software. I don't know if it does what you want it to or not.

http://www.everstrike.com/download/lockfldr.exe

THis one might be better:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Securit...der-Lock.shtml

Folder Lock description Download
    Folder Lock is a fast file-security software that can lock, hide or encrypt any number of files, folders, pictures and documents in seconds. It is fast, reliable, portable and convenient.

Folder Lock it makes your files undeletable, hidden and highly secure, hides files from kids, friends and co-workers, safeguards them from viruses, trojans, worms and spyware, protects them from networked computers, cable users and hackers.

Files can also be protected on USB Flash Drives, Memory Sticks, CD-RW, floppies and notebooks. Protection works even if files are taken from one PC to another on a removable disk, without the need to install any software.

You can optionally lock and/or encrypt files & folders. It can even lock your PC. It locks files on kernel level, Windows Explorer and even real DOS Mode, Works on Windows 2003/XP/2000/NT/Me/98 and all kinds of disk types like FAT16, FAT32, NTFS; EFS. Folder Lock is the most downloaded file-security software to-date.

Features of Folder Lock:

· Users have an option whether to Lock, Scramble or Encrypt, choices useful for both power users and casual users. Those who want ultimate security, can choose encrypiton. those who want ultimate speed, can choose locking.
    · There’s no longer the hassle of encrypting each and every file on different locations. Think how much time you will save simply by putting all your files and folders in one location. Convenient encryption and decryption happens on-the-fly.
    · Locking is exceptionally fast - two seconds to protect a gigabyte or more of data using five different methods. Scrambling renames, scrambles and locks each and every file on kernel level. Encryption uses the strong industry standard 128-bit Blowfish technology to encrypt and lock your files for maximum protection.
    · The Folder Lock program folder (which, by default, is C:Program FilesFolder Lock) can’t be deleted and can't be uninstalled without the correct password.
    · Protected files are safe in Windows Mode, DOS Mode, Safe Mode and even if your computer is re-booted from a floppy or a bootable CD. With its break-through technology, Folder Lock protects files on all Windows platforms even when you switch from one Windows platform to the another.
    · Secure and very strong Encryption. A strong industry standard 128-bit BLOWFISH Encryption is used to encrypt your files for maximum protection. Which is one of the most trusted encryption alogrithms. This not only locks but also encrypts each and every file.
    · Folder Lock is the only file security software that is fully portable and can even protect CD-RW, not just USB Flash Drive, Memory Stick and floppy disks. To protect data on these drives, you can simply copy the program folder of 'Folder Lock' to that drive, run the program, enter your correct password and keep your files in the 'Locker' it creates. Therefore, Folder Lock is fully portable, take it anywhere.
    · Locked files are Windows platform independent. Files protected on Windows XP will also be locked and protected on Windows 98.
    · Folder Lock works flawlessly on all 32-bit flavors of Windows, i.e. Windows XP/2000/NT/Me/98 and 2003 server. Also has no compatibility issues and works perfectly on all types of disk drives including FAT16, FAT32, NTFS and EFS.
    · Brute force cracking is not possible, since the program waits for some time once the invalid password has been entered. This will prevent hackers who may try many different combinations of passwords to get through your files. The program also produces a harsh beep when an incorrect password is entered, to alert the administrator.
    · Doesn't saves the password to the registry or the disk, so that you can move the program on portable media from one computer to another, and it will continue to prompt you to enter your correct password. Unlike other programs that ask for you to set new password.
    · It has an AutoLock feature, this allows users to set a specific time for the files to be locked at a certain time of mouse inactivity. For instance lets say a user is watching a slide show of images that are kept in the locker and have set a time of 3 hours. This will enable him to lock his files automatically after this time.
    · User can also choose to 'Lock PC' after a certain time, (requires a password to unlock PC) This feature locks pc on all windows version including windows XP, nothing happens if you press CTRL+ALT+DEL or CTRL+TAB or CTRL+ESC etc. (a dutch company is selling only this feature for $190)
    · Users can also Shutdown, Reboot or Log off their computer after a certain time, after locking files automatically.
    · Folder Lock erases tracks of users when they click the lock button. It deletes recent document history, find file and folder history and the data in clipboard - all essential for users who demand the best in privacy and security.
    · Protects important files from viruses, hackers, crackers, trojans, malware, spyware, worms, malicious programs and scripts. Protects files from network computers if you do not want to share files on network. Also protects files from hacker tools when you connect to the internet.
    · Protected files are totally hidden and locked, unrenameble, undeletable, unmovable and totally inaccessible. Protects any number of files, even if you have terabytes of files. And protects any format of files, no problem if they are JPG, DOC, PDF, XLS or any other format.
    · With its reduced file size and compact design, Folder Lock takes only 2.5 MB of hard disk space - small, portable and easy to keep. Thanks to the latest compression techniques. The GUI and interface is so well designed, it looks like an integral part of Windows XP.
    · Folder Lock is the only locking software that doesn’t have to run at all times. Moreover, it doesn't save anything to the registry/run so that users do not have any memory problems or stability problems with the program.

Registered users will get:

· A Full version to download (no 35-use trial limit)
    · No nag screens, no trial reminders, no functionality limits.
    · Life-time upgrades for FREE (unlike other companies).
    · Life-time priority customer support.
    · Bonus gifts worth $29 (Ebooks and Fun Files).
    · 3 additional skins, a) Crimson Red b) Purple Sparkle c) Green Turtle
    · 3 beautiful icons a) Red b) Purple c) Green
    · Ability to Encrypt unlimited number of files (no 10 MB limit)
    · Ability to Scramble unlimited number of files (no 250 file limit)
    · A unique/personal Master Key for users who have forgotten their password.
    · Feature requests will be welcome.
    · No hidden or subscription charges at all.
    · A pesonal Thankyou message from the developers of the product.
    Last edited by Big Booger; October 1st, 2005 at 02:28 AM.

Windows built in file/folder encryption does what you ask - the password is your login, no-one else can access them.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    Windows built in file/folder encryption does what you ask - the password is your login, no-one else can access them.
    A windows password can sometimes be easy to get at... Kevin Rose covered this very topic in one of the Broken episodes.

There are several software solutions out there to hack into the XP admin accounts.

But it's better than nothing I guess.

If you hack the account you can't access the encrypted files.

Try it.

Banned

If you hack the account you can't access the encrypted files.

Try it.
    If I brute force a windows password and gain access to the account, then I do have complete control of the system.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=1501&page=8

Of course brute forcing can take minutes or years depending on how strong a password you use, as that article states.

But how many average schmoes use Upper and lower case, numbers, letters, and so on...

Hell I know of 4 or 5 people who use flower names for their passwords LOL

Then there is this well known password exploit:

http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wind.../aa112103c.htm

And then there's this:

http://www.crackpassword.com/products/prs/mswin/efs/

LOL

And finally:

Check this NTFS decrypter

http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html?from=passcr

I also foud this on a forum.Try it and see if it works:

There are in fact 2 solutions:

1. Take ownership and move the file to a FAT32 Partition. EFS is a feature of NTFS and moving the file to a FAT partition will remove the EFS

2. Move it to a compressed volume, MS descided that the 2 (EFS and Compression) are mutually exclusive, so moving the file there will remove the encryption.

3. If the data is already "lost" - ie you cannot find a way to restore it, you can try converting the partition to FAT32 using partition magic or some such, however that may just corrupt the file.

http://www.lostpassword.com/
    Last edited by Big Booger; October 1st, 2005 at 16:42 PM.

As I stated you should try these things - they don't work. If you take ownership you don't inherit the cryptographic keys - it used to in 2k but not in XP. Brute forcing applies to any password - not just a login, you could equally brute force the password of a seperate encryption system.

I have not used the Advanced EFS recovery program so can't comment on that - I hope it does work!

(EDIT)......

I just did a bit of a google search and looke dfor people commenting on the effectiveness of AEFSR looks like common with other elcomsoft products it doesn't work properly if at all. of course you always get people that can't use software properly and maybe it's just them but I haven't seen any good comments yet. If anyone knows different I woud be interested as you never know when you may need to recover someones EFS data.

For an objective and detailed view on EFS take a look at this article http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/...7175.html?Ad=1
    Last edited by Curio; October 2nd, 2005 at 09:37 AM.

As I stated you should try these things - they don't work. If you take ownership you don't inherit the cryptographic keys - it used to in 2k but not in XP. Brute forcing applies to any password - not just a login, you could equally brute force the password of a seperate encryption system.

I have not used the Advanced EFS recovery program so can't comment on that - I hope it does work!

(EDIT)......

I just did a bit of a google search and looke dfor people commenting on the effectiveness of AEFSR looks like common with other elcomsoft products it doesn't work properly if at all. of course you always get people that can't use software properly and maybe it's just them but I haven't seen any good comments yet. If anyone knows different I woud be interested as you never know when you may need to recover someones EFS data.

For an objective and detailed view on EFS take a look at this article http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/...7175.html?Ad=1
    Then did you read this:

While EFS seems safe from cracking, it too suffers from a fatal flaw, that I exploit on a monthly basis. EFS creates a efsX.tmp file in the directory that the file or folder being encrypted resides. "X" being a number starting at 0 and incrementing. Even if the EFS key's are exported, the data remains in an unencrypted form on the HD. Using over-writters, formatters, disc wipes, are useless if one is using a good low-level reader like the ones you can get from OnTrack software- http://www.ontrack.com/software/
    For years I used Tiramisu, with great sucess, and now we have the whole suite of ontrack's tools. They have paid for themselves twice over this year alone. While EFS encrypted files seem pretty safe if the key's are exported, they are not. Even using OnTrack's own Data Eraser, I am able to recover the data, np.
    http://seclists.org/lists/bugtraq/2001/Jan/0304.html http://www.ntfs.com/issues-encrypted-files.htm
    BTW, despite claims (again) all HD data is recoverable- depends on what level you wnat to take it to, with an electron-tunneling microscope all HD data is recoverable. But even without one, ontrack's tools are great. Altough data that is in a RAID stripe is difficult to recover.

I love OnTracks stuff and can also atest to the ability of Active@ to recover stuff. I suppose it depends on how often you defrag or how much data goes on and off the drive as to when the deleted files would be overwritten and unrecoverable.

It's an interesting subject but I guess it's down to what level of insecurity you have - I just don't have anything that would bother me that much plus my drives get defragged every week so the deleted temp files would be toast. pretty quickly.

I will certainly look for the temp files should the need ever arise from a customer - that's a good tip which could potentially save a lot of time.

Thanks Big Booger and lil' boober,

I like those programs but they do not offer on the fly encryption of folders like firefox's directory
    application data/mozilla

Trying folder lock originally got me to wonder if any programs exists that can encrypt and decrypt files on the fly like e4m.

Only problem with folder lock is that you must move any files or folders into an encryption locker which is pretty useless for firefox and I do not want to have to remember to move files back and forth. Files that are protected should be encrypted to prevent nosey smart people from simply putting a bootable xp disc on the computer and snooping through the now unhidden files and folders.

I am currently using universal shield and love it but although it can encrypt and decrypt files it does not do this on the fly and encrypted files are encrypted even when in unlock mode and the only way to access these files is to decrypt them.

I am looking for something that can encrypt and decrypt on the fly and that has the features of Universal Shield;

Curio:

I don't want to use the Windows encryption system because I do not want to have a pgp key saved on a floppy or whatever.

Xp crashed or gets corrupted and you did not save the key then you are toast.

Programs like e4m will work on any windows installation and if you have an encrypted file it will decrypt it only with the right password.

Here are the links:
    e4m
    http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/e4m202a.html

Universal Shield:
    Last edited by egghead; October 2nd, 2005 at 21:03 PM.

I love OnTracks stuff and can also atest to the ability of Active@ to recover stuff. I suppose it depends on how often you defrag or how much data goes on and off the drive as to when the deleted files would be overwritten and unrecoverable.

It's an interesting subject but I guess it's down to what level of insecurity you have - I just don't have anything that would bother me that much plus my drives get defragged every week so the deleted temp files would be toast. pretty quickly.

I will certainly look for the temp files should the need ever arise from a customer - that's a good tip which could potentially save a lot of time.
    I actually stumbled on this on some forum while looking for exploits in EFS. It was the first time I read it, and I wonder if it really works. If it does, it might save a lot of people headaches if they forgot to make the key floppy.

I checked my EFS files and folders for recoverable deleted plaintext - as I suspected, nada. Those files however change very rarely - I don't think I modified them in 6 months and a lot of defragging has gone on in that time as well as the odd (ahem..) DVD backup.

there must a program out there that can encrypt and decrypt files in real time and with a login like xp does.

but where is it????

I love universal shield.

It hides all my files and folders so when you log in there is nothing there.

Then i can do my james bond trick and with a keystroke I get a password prompt.

I enter my password and all my folders and files become visible and free to use.

This is what I want.

But I want the files to be inaccessable in safe mode and xp boot cd like bartpe.

I tried encrypting the file system with the built in xp tool but i'm looking for something like universal shield but one that includes something like the built in xp encryption.

is it too complicated to create or is something else limiting the abillity of programmers to create it?

egghead

http://www.y0ys.com/encryption-softw...n-software.htm

Try that one egg.. it sounds similar to what you are looking for.