Thread: Hard Drive Errors

Hard Drive Errors

Hello

I have WD 120GB hard drive on raid, it starts beeping continusly when i reboot system and the system doesnt detect the hard drive.

Can some one tell me how i can retrieve data on my harddrive,

thanks

Banned
    did u check if the wires and cords are well plugged

yes

man seems there are alot of beeping hard drives threads lately.Have you tried disconnecting the hard drives and trying them one at a time to rule out one of them being defective or damaged?

It's a conspiracy! Microsoft is at it again! They've teamed up with RIAA... I knew they'd resort to illegal means some day to stop people from downloading

Repeat after me: I WILL use Google before asking stupid questions.

Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

Out of interest to people out there as I deal with lots of computers I feel I can state quite honestly that SATA drives appear to be much less reliable than PATA drives - anyone else notice this?
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I have WD 120GB hard drive on raid, it starts beeping continusly when i reboot system and the system doesnt detect the hard drive.
    You sure its the HD beeping and not the MB beeping because of the ram ?

I work on a bunch of PC's and still have never ran across a beeping HD, not saying that doesn't happen.

Out of interest to people out there as I deal with lots of computers I feel I can state quite honestly that SATA drives appear to be much less reliable than PATA drives - anyone else notice this?
    I think the newer HD's are just built cheaper. I notice most failures occur during the summer, think the platters are warping.

Most of the newer PC's are high powered heat factories, seems as though most people try to get away with 1 or 2 quiet exhaust fans. Add one of todays high powered video cards and it a furnace inside the PC.

I think the SATA WD Raptors are pretty reliable, they have great warranties and cost $$$

You sure its the HD beeping and not the MB beeping because of the ram ?

I work on a bunch of PC's and still have never ran across a beeping HD, not saying that doesn't happen.
    Same thing here,I still have yet to hear a hard drive beep lol,I've heard them grind,click,but never beep.

well i hear a beep from my hard drive
    I hooked both of them one at a time to the secondary cable and one of them beeps. None of the hard drives are detected in bios.

well, I still need to get the data transfered to other drives, if some one know anything i can do, let me know.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Thanks to Rick at Data-Recovery-Hub.com for this:

The "beeping" noise could be caused by the heads not spinning and sticking to the platter (stiction).

This article may help:
    Hard Drive Stiction and Data Recovery (.pdf format so you will need Adobe Reader to view it)

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Only MB beeps, I have heard HDDs click, grind, go clack clack clack, whirr but never beep. If its from the drive, why don't you give it a few hard knocks and see.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

(Deep in the wilds of) Leicestershire, UK
    My failing hard drive used to beep, I even went as far as removing it from the case and running it up on a long cable so i could tell if it was the drive or the pc speaker or whatever. I'm not saying that the drive had some sort of speaker, just that the noise emmitted when it made a seek error sounded just like a beep..........

Anyway Buraq, beg or borrow a copy of spinrite 6 to test/repair the the drive if its not too far gone then try something like GetDataBack to recover the info to another drive.

Luckily my friend who runs a small business and is paranoid about data loss has loads of these types of programs (AND he backs up everything every night) so I was spoiled for choice when my boot drive started to beep. I also tried a SMART monitoring tool which showed me what the problem was, not that it mattered as when a drive goes tits up it doesn't matter what caused it it's still fcuk'd

The lesson to be learned of course is the have a robust backup strategy.

My 2 penny worth

H