Thread: Opinions about Linspire

Opinions about Linspire

RIK asked me to post this information. He graciously sent me a copy of Linspire 5.0.59. Below are are comments from an email that I sent to rik.

It was easy to install and start using. There was a little hide-and-seek within the desktop layout in finding things, but that is true with all versions. My biggest problem was that you very quickly run into a requirement for money to gain a real test of CNR. The $19.95 isn't a lot of money, but I hate to pay it when it is unlikely to be the version that I finally settle on.

Pros:

It was easy to install and start using.

It is a pretty version. I really liked the way it looked.

Cons:

It is slower than most other versions that I have tried.

CNR proved hard for me to set up and use.

Conclusions.

I would recommend it to people that are new to linux. Once installed, should be quickly able to accomplish most tasks.

At this point, I still prefer XandrOS. It is almost as easy to update and install software using XandrOS and so far, every package that I have installed worked.

I am going to keep Linspire installed for a while. It needs a more thorough test than I have given it so far.

Thanks for sending it to me.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Very nice report. I have only run it as "Live" and really not long enough to formulate an opinion as yet.

TUX Magazine Issue 7 arrived yesterday. In the letters section there was a discussion of Linspire vs XandrOS. Editor and readers stated that Linspire is superior to XandrOS. LINK

That is the best thing about Linux. There is bound to be a version that is right for you.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Out of all the Linux I've tried I think Linspire is the best for someone to start out with.

In my case (dialup user) all the Linux Distro's suk when it comes to modems. I have 3 different modems and none work in Linux.

FG, I am guessing that the three modems are all WIN modems. It would be no surprise that they would not work. If you could find an external modem, I suspect the result would be different.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc
    FG, I am guessing that the three modems are all WIN modems. It would be no surprise that they would not work. If you could find an external modem, I suspect the result would be different.

I had that same problem with Win modems and some hardware modems.The one modem that works with all the Linux distros is the US Robotics external serial port hw type.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Banned
    I say knoppix live cd is the best for a bigginer, then i'll go with Suse...but i wont push my point on that cuz i have never actually tried Lindows(Linspire)

That is the best thing about Linux. There is bound to be a version that is right for you.
    Funny how this is considered Linux's strength, but when MS decided to create 7 versions of Vista to give users more choices, there were rants all over the place Just a thought.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hotmale
    Funny how this is considered Linux's strength, but when MS decided to create 7 versions of Vista to give users more choices, there were rants all over the place Just a thought.
    That Linux strength is not widely known in the normal realm of the computer world.Microsoft,however spends millions to convey that same idea,and that's no surprise that those choices are heralded.Simply good advertising.I think Linux's real stregth is in the open source style and persistence of it's many contributors that work quickly with security patches.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Platinum+ Member
    Linux is usually free.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Nice comment!

Maybe the complaints were the result of M$ normal pricing policies (You know the one of charging $200 when $20 is reasonable).

Maybe the complaints were the result of M$ normal pricing policies (You know the one of charging $200 when $20 is reasonable).
    Isn't that weird as well? Even though Linux is free it can hardly compete with the supposedly overpriced Windows!

As for Microsoft's pricing policy, I'm not for or against it. But they're just doing business...

One of the reasons linux is having a hard time competing with windows(aside from the fact that generally windows is aimed at joe average when linux is aimed at a more tech savvy type, generalization here folks, no flames please) is that windows itself comes already bundled and installed on your computer so by its very nature windows gets the lion share of the market. You have to make an effort, which most people don't want to do, to get an alternitive up and running.
    The Tribes of Man shall be scattered like smoke, and the Four shall succumb to madness. The sword shall be drawn too late, the eagle shall bathe in its own blood, the wolf shall fall into its shadow, and the phoenix shall with two heads devour its children. A thousand worlds shall be rent with fire, and even the Immortals shall tremble, for there will be no haven but the night, no safety without fury, no peace until the ashes grow cold.